Ruins of Sucidava, modern Romania
|Known also as||Castra of Celeiu|
|Attested by||Tabula Peutingeriana|
|Place in the Roman world|
|Administrative unit||Dacia Malvensis|
|— Stone structure —|
|Altitude||c. 37 m|
|Place name||Cartier Celei|
|Recognition||National Historical Monument|
|Excavation dates||1900 |
|Archaeologists||Pamfil Polonic |
Sucidava (Sykibid after Procopius, Σucidava after Pârvan, where Σ is pronounced "sh") is a Dacian and Daco-Roman historical site, situated in Corabia, Romania, on the north bank of the Danube. The first Christian Basilica established in Romania can be found there and the foot of a Roman bridge over the Danube built by Constantine the Great to link Sucidava with Oescus (today in Bulgaria, in Moesia). There is also a secret underground fountain which flows under the walls of the town to a water spring situated outside.
From an archaeological point of view, the coins found at Sucidava show an uninterrupted series from Aurelian (270-275) to Theodosius II (408-450). The archaeological evidence show that in AD 443 or 447 the city was sacked by the Huns, and was restored under Justin I 518-527 or Justinian I 527-565. Around 600, it seems that the Roman garrison abandoned the city.[dead link]
- "Manuscrisele lui Pamfil Polonic". cimec.ro. Archived from the original on 19 December 2011. Retrieved 15 December 2012.
- Olga Karagiorgou "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2011-08-10. Retrieved 2010-11-15.
- Pârvan - ştiri din Dacia Malvensis http://www.cimec.ro/Arheologie/ParvanArticole/ParvanStiriNouaDinDaciaMalvensis.pdf)
- Paul Lachlan MacKendrick, "The Dacian Stones Speak", Chapel Hill: University of North Carolina Press, 1975. ISBN 0-8078-1226-9
- Notitia Dignitatum cca 395-413
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sucidava.|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Dacian and Dacians.|
- Sucidava on Tabula Peutingeriana: http://www.euratlas.net/cartogra/peutinger/7_thracia/thracia_4_1.html
- (in Romanian) "Archaeological Excavation Report"
- Photo gallery
- Gabriel Vasile, "Analiza antropologică a unui schelet descoperit la Sucidava - Celei (judeţul Olt)", Cercetări Arheologice, 13/2006, at National Museum of Romanian History
- Roman castra from Romania - Google Maps / Earth