|Known also as||Castra of Celeiu|
|Attested by||Tabula Peutingeriana|
|Place in the Roman world|
|Administrative unit||Dacia Malvensis|
|— Stone structure —|
|Altitude||c. 37 m|
|Place name||Cartier Celei|
|Recognition||National Historical Monument|
|Excavation dates||1900 |
Sucidava (Sykibid, Skedevà after Procopius, Σucidava after Vasile Pârvan, where Σ is pronounced "sh") is a Dacian and Daco-Roman historical site, situated in Corabia, Romania, on the north bank of the Danube. The first Christian Basilica established in Romania can be found there and the foot of a Roman bridge over the Danube built by Constantine the Great to link Sucidava with Oescus (today in Bulgaria, in Moesia), in order to start the reconquest of Dacia. There is also a secret underground fountain which flows under the walls of the town to a water spring situated outside.
From an archaeological point of view, the coins found at Sucidava show an uninterrupted series from Aurelian (270-275) to Theodosius II (408-450). The archaeological evidence show that in AD 443 or 447 the city was sacked by the Huns, and was restored under Justin I 518-527 or Justinian I 527-565. Around 600, it seems that the Roman garrison abandoned the city.[dead link]
- "Manuscrisele lui Pamfil Polonic". cimec.ro. Archived from the original on 19 December 2011. Retrieved 15 December 2012.
- Olga Karagiorgou "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2011-08-10. Retrieved 2010-11-15.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- Pârvan - știri din Dacia Malvensis http://www.cimec.ro/Arheologie/ParvanArticole/ParvanStiriNouaDinDaciaMalvensis.pdf)
- Paul Lachlan MacKendrick, "The Dacian Stones Speak", Chapel Hill: University of North Carolina Press, 1975. ISBN 0-8078-1226-9
- Notitia Dignitatum cca 395-413
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sucidava.|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Dacian and Dacians.|
- Sucidava on Tabula Peutingeriana: http://www.euratlas.net/cartogra/peutinger/7_thracia/thracia_4_1.html
- (in Romanian) "Archaeological Excavation Report"
- Photo gallery
- Gabriel Vasile, "Analiza antropologică a unui schelet descoperit la Sucidava - Celei (judeţul Olt)", Cercetări Arheologice, 13/2006, at National Museum of Romanian History
- Roman castra from Romania - Google Maps / Earth