|Founder||Anselm R. Garbe|
|Products||dwm, st, surf, and other tools|
suckless.org is a community of programmers working on minimalist free software projects with a focus on simplicity, clarity, and frugality. The group developed dwm and wmii window managers, surf, tabbed, and other programs that is said to adhere strictly to the UNIX philosophy of "doing one thing and doing it well."
The suckless community was founded by Anselm R. Garbe from Germany in 2002. He became a vocal proponent of the suckless philosophy, saying that "a lot [of what] went wrong in the IT industry recently [...] be recognised in order to rethink the common practice, and perhaps to think about the time when Moore's law stops being a valid assumption." The suckless manifesto deplores the common tendency for "complex, error-prone and slow software [that] seems to be prevalent in the present-day software industry", and argues that a programmer's performance should not be measured by the number of lines of code he writes.
In 2007, Garbe called for the need for a "Plan 9 lover's and C hacker ubuntu" which comes packed with dwm/wmii and all necessary tools for developing C code and suggested calling it 9ubuntu. Suckless later developed stali (static Linux), an operating system with statically linked executables that adheres to the suckless principles.
- dwm – window manager
- dmenu – keyboard-driven menu utility
- ii – IRC client
- sbase - UNIX core utilities
- surf – web browser
- wmii – window manager
- st - lightweight, 256color-enabled (with 24bit colour support) terminal emulator
- stali - static linux distribution
- Woehr, Jack (6 August 2009). "Conversation with Anselm R. Garbe of suckless.org". Dr. Dobb's. Retrieved 12 May 2015.
- "Приложения от сообщества suckless.org". mykomp2.ru (in Russian). 3 July 2015. Retrieved 12 May 2015.
- Kopta, Martin (2 December 2013). "Suckless: méně smradlavý software". Root.cz (in Czech). Retrieved 12 May 2015.
- "Philosophy". suckless.org. Retrieved 13 June 2016.
- Garbe, Anselm R. (14 March 2007). "[dwm] 9ubuntu?". suckless.org. Retrieved 12 May 2015.
- Garbe, Anselm R. "stali – static linux" (PDF). LinuxTag. Retrieved 12 May 2015.
- Schnalke, Markus (14 August 2008). "marmaro.de" (PDF). suckless.org – software that sucks less. Retrieved 12 May 2015.