This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2014)
|• Type||Departmental Council|
|• Department||2,653.60 km2 (1,024.56 sq mi)|
|• Density||290/km2 (760/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern)|
|ISO 3166 code||HT-SD|
low · 3rd
Sud (Haitian Creole: Sid, English: South) is one of the ten departments of Haiti. It has an area of 2,653.60 square kilometres (1,024.56 sq mi) and a population of 774,976. Its capital is Les Cayes.
A significant part of the population in this department is of mixed race, people of Arab descent and from the Indian subcontinent. These southern parts of Haiti are where many resident Europeans descended to during tense political turmoil and, in more recent years, have returned and settled alongside black Haitians. Nowadays, this area of the country has become one of the most racially diverse (excluding Port-au-Prince).
- Aquin Arrondissement
- Chardonnières Arrondissement
- Côteaux Arrondissement
- Les Cayes Arrondissement
- Port-Salut Arrondissement
- http://www.ihsi.ht/pdf/projection/Estimat_PopTotal_18ans_Menag2015.pdf[bare URL PDF]
- "Sub-national HDI - Area Database - Global Data Lab". hdi.globaldatalab.org. Retrieved 2018-09-13.
- "IHSI" (PDF). Institut Haïtien de Statistique et d’Informatique.