St Edward's Church, Sudbrooke
Sudbrooke shown within Lincolnshire
|OS grid reference|
|– London||120 mi (190 km) S|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|EU Parliament||East Midlands|
Sudbrooke is a small village and Civil Parish in the West Lindsey district of Lincolnshire, England. It is situated 4.5 miles (7 km) north-east from the centre of Lincoln. The population of the civil parish at the 2011 census was 1,788.
Sudbrooke is situated just off the A158 Lincoln to Skegness road, and although the original heart of the village near the church has existed for centuries, the main development as a commuter village for Lincoln took place from the 1970s. Known only from written records the site of Holme in Sudbrooke has been built over since.
Sudbrooke church is dedicated to Saint Edward the Confessor, and was built in 1860 by John Dobson of Newcastle upon Tyne. It is a Grade II* listed building. A much older churchyard cross was restored at about the same time. The new church replaced an older brick building, possibly itself a successor to an older Norman church. The church is part of the Barlings Group Ministry in the Deanery of Lawres. The incumbent is Rev R G Spaight.
There appears to have been a searchlight battery in the village at some point during the Second World War.
Although facilities are few, Sudbrooke has a village shop, which opened in 2004. There is also a café, a hairdresser, a filling station, two playgrounds, and a village hall which is primarily used by independent groups.
- "Parish council web site". Retrieved 3 March 2013.
- "Civil Parish population 2011". Neighbourhood Statistics. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 31 May 2016.
- "Holme in Sudbrooke". English Heritage. Retrieved 3 March 2013.
- "British Listed Buildings". British Listed Buildings. Retrieved 18 May 2011.
- "Churchyard Cross". English Heritage. Retrieved 3 March 2013.
- "Sudbrooke church history". Barlings group of parishes. Retrieved 3 April 2013.
- "diocesan details for Sudbrooke". Church of England. Retrieved 3 April 2013.
- "Sudbrooke church web site". Barlings group of parishes. Retrieved 3 April 2013.
- "Searchlight battery". English Heritage. Retrieved 3 March 2013.
- "Village Hall". Parish Council. Retrieved 3 March 2013.
- "Village Hall". Lincolnshire County Council. Retrieved 3 March 2013.