Sudeep in TeachAIDS interview, 2013
2 September 1973
Shimoga district, Karnataka State, India
|Other names||Kiccha Sudeep|
|Alma mater||DSCE, Bangalore|
|Occupation||Actor, film director, producer, playback singer, screenwriter, television presenter|
|Television||Bigg Boss Kannada – Host (2013, 2014)|
|Spouse(s)||Priya (m. 2001)|
|Parent(s)||Sarovar Sanjeev Manjappa
|Awards||Filmfare Awards South
Karnataka State Film Awards
Sudeep Sanjeev (born 2 September 1973), known mononymously as Sudeep, is an Indian film actor, director, producer, screenwriter, playback singer who works primarily in Kannada cinema. A traditional actor, he has also been noted for his presence in pan-Indian cinema.
Sudeep is known for his performances in the Kannada films Sparsha (1999), Huchcha (2001), Nandhi (2002), Kiccha (2003), Swathi Muthu (2003), My Autograph (2006), Mussanjemaatu (2008), Veera Madakari (2009), Kempe Gowda (2011), Vishnuvardhana (2011), Bachchan (2013) and Maanikya (2014), and the Telugu film Eega (2012). He won the Filmfare Award for Best Actor – Kannada for three consecutive years for his films Huchcha (2001), Nandhi (2002) and Swathi Muthu (2003). Since 2013, he has been hosting the television reality show, Bigg Boss.
Sudeep was born to Sanjeev Manjappa and Saroja in Shimoga district of the erstwhile Mysore State (now Karnataka). He obtained his Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering from Dayananda Sagar College of Engineering, Bengaluru. He was a University-level cricket player during the day and had also represented at the State-level in its Under-17 and Under-19 teams. Before taking up acting as a profession, Sudeep attended the Roshan Taneja School of Acting in Mumbai, where he overcame his "shyness".
Sudeep started his acting career with a TV serial, titled Premada Kadambari and directed by Sudhakar Bhandari, which was aired on Udaya TV. His first movie was Thaayavva (his first two films O Kusuma Bale and Brahma were abandoned mid-filming ); he then played a supporting role in the Sunil Kumar Desai directed movie Prathyartha and landed a leading actor role in the same director's Sparsha. In 2001, Sudeep acted in the hit film Huchcha, which gave him his first big following. In the year 2008 he made his debut in Bollywood with the movie Phoonk. He has also starred in Ram Gopal Varma's movies Rann, Phoonk 2 and Rakta Charitra. His movies Kempe Gowda and Vishnuvardhana released in 2011 were blockbusters.
Sudeep made his debut in Telugu cinema in 2012, with the S. S. Rajamouli directorial Eega, a fantasy film, that saw him play an industrialist, who on falling for an NGO worker (played by Samantha Ruth Prabhu), kills her alleged lover, who begins to haunt him taking the form of a housefly. The film emerged as a commercial success, also receiving rave reviews from critics with Sudeep's performance receiving critical acclaim alongside. The year 2013 saw the release of two of his films – Bachchan and Varadanayaka. His next film was a drama titled Maanikya that he directed, a remake of the Telugu film, Mirchi (2013). His first release of 2015 was Ranna, a remake of the Telugu film, Attarintiki Daredi.
He has also directed Kannada movies and his directorial debut My Autograph . He has directed a few more movies, namely #73 Shaanthi Nivaasa, Veera Madakari, Just Maath Maathalli, Kempe Gowda and Maanikya.
He made his debut in television with Premada Kadambari and also appeared as a mentor in the reality show Pyate Hudgeer-Halli Lifu season 1 which was aired in Asianet Suvarna. He was the host for the Kannada version of the reality show Bigg Boss season 1 which aired on ETV Kannada and season 2 on Asianet Suvarna.
He also produced My Autograph which was a huge success in Kannada industry.
Apart from acting, Sudeep also had a singing career. His singing has been well received by his fans and audience. He sang for his movies Vaalee (2001), Chandu (2002), Ranga SSLC (2004), Nalla (2004), #73, Shaanthi Nivaasa (2007), Veera Madakari (2009), Kempe Gowda (2011), Bachchan (2013)  and also for others movies such as Mandya to Mumbai (2014), Ring Road Shubha (2014), Raate(2015).
He also worked as dubbing artist for his movie Veera Madakari.
Sudeep married Priya in 2001 and they have a daughter named Saanvi (born 2004) together. He is the captain of Karnataka Bulldozers cricket team that competes in the Celebrity Cricket League. He owns a film production company named Kiccha Creations and a few films have been produced under the banner, including the 2007 No 73, Shanthi Nivasa that stars Sudeep himself. In 2013, he launched Stage 360°, an event management company, that his wife takes active part in.
Sudeep is considered as one of the most popular actors in Kannada cinema. He was listed 1st in the Times 25 Most Desirable Men in Bangalore for the year 2012. Karnataka Rakshana Vedike (KaRaVe) gave the Abhinaya Chakravarthy title to Sudeep for his contribution to cinema industry in the presence of a large number of fans. He is the highest paid Kannada actor. Sources say that he signed for 6 crore for Tamil movie starring Tamil actor vijay.
In 2012, he was signed as the Brand Ambassador of Joyalukkas, a Jewellery Retail Chain. In 2013, he was appointed as the brand Ambassador for Bangalore Traffic Police Department and Income Tax Department. In 2014, he was appointed as the Brand Ambassador for Intex Technologies (India) Mobiles & Paragon Footwares.
Awards and nominations
- "sudeep biography". entertainment.oneindia.in.
- "Fame flies for Sudeep". The Hindu. 2 August 2014. Retrieved 12 April 2015.
- "Sudeep Sanjeev – 'Sparsha' of the Kannada film industry". bangalorebest.com. Retrieved 1 October 2014.
- "Bramha Faces Trouble". chitraloka.com. 5 February 2014.
- Phoonk (2008) – IMDb
- Six Super Toppers – Kannada Cinema 2011 – Part 1. Supergoodmovies.com (2011-12-21).
- K Rajani Kanth and Varada Bhat (2012-07-10) Eega 'flies high' at box office. Business Standard.
- "Just Math Mathalli is for die-hard romantics". Movies.rediff.com. 2010-02-05. Retrieved 2011-03-10.
- "Sudeep to host reality show". sify.com. 10 May 2010.
- Actor Sudeep to anchor ‘Pyate Hudgeer, Halli Lifu’ on Suvarna. Exchange4media.com (2010-05-08).
- Sudeep to host Bigg Boss Kannada. M.tellychakkar.com (2013-02-28).
- Sudeep Filmography, Sudeep Movies, Sudeep Films. entertainment.oneindia.in.
- "Sudeep’s going strong at 40!". The Times of India. 2 September 2013. Retrieved 1 October 2014.
- Celebrity Cricket League (CCL)-the Official Website "ccl". ccl.in.
- "Launch of Kannada star Sudeep's event management company Stage 360° at Bangalore". timesofindia.indiatimes.com. 18 November 2013. Retrieved 18 November 2013.
- Bangalore Times Most Desirable Men 2012 – Top 25 – Times Of India. Articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com (2013-05-21).
- Sudeepa now Abhinaya Chakravarthy - chitraloka.com | Kannada Movies | Latest Kannada Film News, Reviews | Stills, Images, Actress, Actors, Pictures. chitraloka.com (2012-06-30).
- Joyalukkas India Pvt. Ltd. Joyalukkasindia.com (2013-05-15).
- Sudeep to endorse jewellery brand – Times Of India. Articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com (2012-12-15).
- Sudeep All Set for the Real Act newindianexpress.com (2013-12-17)
- "Intex targets revenue of Rs 6500 crore by 2016; to focus on south India". www.indiantelevision.com. 16 Aug 2014.
- Sudeep-Vijay Raghavendra Join Hands For AIDS Awareness entertainment.oneindia.in (2013-12-03)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sudeep.|
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Sudeep Sanjiv|