This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (February 2020) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Prasad at Irudhi Suttru Thanks Giving Meet
|Born||5 June 1972 (age 48)|
Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh
|Alma mater||Women's Christian College, Madras|
Sudha Kongara (born June 5, 1972) is an Indian film director and screenwriter who predominantly works in Tamil cinema. She worked as associate director for seven years with Mani Ratnam. In 2016, she made her Hindi cinema debut with Saala Khadoos which was originally shot in Tamil as Irudhi Suttru. She won the Filmfare Award for Best Director – Tamil for Irudhi Suttru. She made her Telugu film debut with Guru (2017) which is a remake of Irudhi Suttru.
Sudha Kongara worked as a screenwriter for the English film Mitr, My Friend (2002). During the production of her first Tamil directorial venture Drohi (2010), Sudha Kongara began writing a sports drama film on boxing which was titled Irudhi Suttru. In mid-2013, she approached Madhavan, who was on a sabbatical from Tamil films, to portray the lead role in the film and his presence in the project, helped take the financial viability of the venture to a higher level. The pair had previously collaborated in Madhavan's films under the direction of Mani Ratnam, where Sudha had been an associate director. She then remade Irudhi Suttru in Telugu as Guru. Her next film was Soorarai Pottru which is based on life of Air Deccan founder Captain GR Gopinath feature and it is produced by Suriya's 2D Entertainment and co-produced by Guneet Monga of Sikhya Entertainment.
|2002||Mitr, My Friend||No||Yes||English|
|2010||Drohi||Yes||Yes||Tamil||Credited as Sudha K Prasad|
|2016||Irudhi Suttru /
|Filmfare Award for Best Director – Tamil |
|2020||Putham Pudhu Kaalai||Yes||Yes||Tamil||Anthology film; segment Ilamai Idho Idho; Amazon Prime film |
|2020||Soorarai Pottru||Yes||Yes||Tamil||Amazon Prime film|
|2020||Paava Kadhaigal||Yes||Yes||Tamil||Anthology film |
- "Changing gears successfully". The Hindu. 3 September 2002. Archived from the original on 7 May 2005. Retrieved 13 August 2006.
- "The girl brigade of Tamil cinema - Behindwoods.com - Tamil Movie Slide Shows - Drohi - Sudha - Anjana - Suhasini Mani Ratnam - Revathy - Priya - Madhumita - J S Nandhini".
- "Saala Khadoos Director on Mani Ratnam and Rajkumar Hirani". NDTVMovies.com.
- "Winners of the 64th Jio Filmfare Awards of Indian Cinema(South)". Filmfare.com. Retrieved 1 December 2018.
- "Madhavan gears up for the release of Irudhi Suttru". The Hindu. 9 January 2016. Retrieved 28 January 2016.
- "Saala Khadoos review: Madhavan delivers a knockout performance in an otherwise average film". Firstpost.
- Gupta, Rinku (16 December 2014). "Madhavan's New Boxer Look Revealed". The New Indian Express. Retrieved 12 August 2015.
- "Hollywood Ho! - Hosur". The Hindu. 29 September 2013. Retrieved 12 August 2015.
- "Suriya's next with director Sudha Kongara titled 'Soorarai Pottru'". The News Minute. 13 April 2019. Retrieved 18 April 2019.
- "Suriya is best actor in our country: Guneet Monga". The New Indian Express. Retrieved 18 April 2019.
- "Winners of the 64th Jio Filmfare Awards (South)". Filmfare.com. Retrieved 1 December 2018.
- "'Putham Pudhu Kaalai': Amazon Prime Video announces anthology of five Tamil short films". Cinema Express. Retrieved 2 October 2020.
- "Netflix announces its first Tamil film; Gautham Menon, Vetri Maaran, Vignesh Shivan, Sudha Kongara to direct". First Post. Retrieved 2 October 2020.