Her duties as a single mother left her with little time to write for many years, and as a result she did not publish her first novel until 1986, after spending almost a decade in various fellowships and teaching positions.
Since then, two of her novels have been made into feature films, and her book While I Was Gone was an Oprah's Book Club pick in 2000. Miller has taught creative writing classes at Smith College, Amherst, Tufts, MIT, and Boston University.
- The Good Mother: a novel (1986) [ISBN 9780060505936], made into a movie in 1988
- Family Pictures: a novel (1990) [ISBN 9780575403215]
- For Love: a novel (1993) [ISBN 9780060929992]
- The Distinguished Guest: a novel (1995) [ISBN 9780060930004]
- While I Was Gone: a novel (1998) [ISBN 9780345443281]
- The World Below: a novel (2001) [ISBN 9780747584582]
- Lost in the Forest: a novel (2005) [ISBN 9780345469595]
- The Senator's Wife: a novel (2008) [ISBN 9780307264206]
- The Lake Shore Limited: a novel (2010) [ISBN 9780307264213]
- The Arsonist: a novel (2014) [ISBN 9780307594792]
Short story collections
- The Story of My Father (2003) [ISBN 9780375414794]
|This article about a novelist of the United States born in the 1940s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|