Suffern High School
|Suffern Senior High School|
|49 Viola Road
Suffern, New York 10901
|School district||Ramapo Central School District|
|Number of students||1600|
|Color(s)||Navy blue, Carolina blue and white|
Suffern High School Front entrance
Suffern High School is located in the Ramapo Central School District in Suffern, New York. The school's mascot is a mountain lion (Mountie). Its yearbook is the Panorama. Suffern High is ranked in the top 500 high schools in the United States at number 439.
There are over 60 extracurricular activities, many of which take place during unit lunch. Some of these activities include a newly introduced video game club Suffern High School Gamers Club, an Asian Culture club, the Family History Club, several honor societies, an Audio-visual Crew, two play productions per year, and a united student organization.
The Suffern High School yearbook, the Panorama, has received awards from the Columbia Scholastic Press Association. The 2010 book, "ROAR," won a Silver Medal. The 2011 book, "IMPACT," won a Gold Medal and a Silver Crown award.
Suffern High offers many sports throughout the year that take place both on and off campus; the school sports team is the Mounties. Some sports games are played at Suffern Middle School, located close to the high school. The following sports are available at Suffern (boys and girls teams are available unless noted):
- Cross country
- Football (boys)
- Field hockey (girls)
- Cheerleading (girls)
- Ice hockey (boys)
- Indoor track
- Wrestling (boys)
- Gymnastics (girls)
- Skiing (girls)
- Track & field
- Baseball (boys)
- Softball (girls)
On March 11, 2012 Suffern High School celebrated its first New York State hockey championship in 20 years after scoring three unanswered goals after falling behind 2-0 to knock off The Pittsford Panthers 3-2 in the Division 1 of the New York State Public High School Athletic Association (NYSPHSAA) state hockey championship game.
In Popular Culture
- Christine Andreas (1969), award-winning Broadway performer and cabaret singer.
- Tony DeFrancesco, former MLB interim manager with the Houston Astros
- Mary Frances Gunner (1911), playwright
- Dan Gurewitch, writer and comedian, perhaps best known for CollegeHumor.
- Hendrik Hertzberg – Chief speechwriter for President Jimmy Carter.
- Sidney Hertzberg – New York Knicks basketball player
- Joe Lockhart – Press Secretary for President Bill Clinton 
- Thomas Meehan – Tony award winner book writer of Annie and The Producers
- Walt Weiss – Former Major League Baseball player and former manager of the Colorado Rockies.
- "About Suffern High School".
- key=yXqq0m0E2jvENYapGsPeMO8tbjI&state=NY&year=2010&id=1002&detailsKey=pbHX4heqIn1bK4qEkgeAz2N5YOI "Newsweek Top High Schools List" Check
- "Ask the Author:Ask the Author Live: Hendrik Hertzberg".
- Walsh, J (2002). "From average student to Washington insider" The Rockland-Journal News
- "Welcome to the Rockland County Sports Hall of Fame".