This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Mevlana Museum, Konya – end of the walk
|Length||801 km (498 mi)|
|Designation||Long distance footpath|
Mevlana Museum, Konya
|Highest point||Emirdede tepesi, 2,064 m (6,772 ft)|
|Lowest point||Sea level|
The Sufi Trail is a 801-kilometre (498 mi) long-distance footpath in Western Turkey from Istanbul to Konya following the Ottoman Sultans Hajj route. The Sufi Trail connects to the Sultans Trail, a long-distance footpath from Vienna to Istanbul.
The Sufi trail was first described in the 2018 two-part book Sufi Trail: 40 Days to Dervishhood by Iris Bezuijen and Sedat Çakir. The books describe the route in 40 stages, each of which ends at a settlement with usually some overnight accommodation nearby.
The description in this article is given from west to east. This is the recommended direction since it puts the heaviest climbs at the end of the route.
The trail begins at Bahariye Mevlevihanesi in Istanbul's Eyüp neighborhood. The route passes through Istanbul and then crosses the Sea of Marmara by ferry to Yalova. From there it crosses the provinces of Yalova, Bursa, Bilecik, Eskişehir, Ayonkarahisar and Konya to reach the mausoleum of Jalal ad-Din Muhammad Rumi in Mevlana Museum on Mevlava Square in Konya.
Places of interest
Istanbul and Konya, the starting point and end point of the trail are both ancient cities full of historic places of interest.
Besides these the trail passes
- The Khanqah of Arslanköy
- The Turkish baths in Termal
- The historic town of İznik
- The old city of Eskişehir
- The Seyyid Battal Gazi Complex
- The Gerdekkaya rock cut tomb monument and other Phrygian period sites near Çukurca
- The Midas Monument at Yazılıkaya
- The underground city of Han
- The Kirkgöz bridge
- The old silk road town of Sultandağı
- The religious complex of Taşmedrese
- The former Greek village of Sille
- Bezuijen, Iris; Çakir, Sedat (April 2018). Sufi Trail Part 1: 40 Days to Dervishhood. ISBN 978-94-92953-01-8.
- Bezuijen, Iris; Çakir, Sedat (April 2018). Sufi Trail Part 2: 40 Days to Dervishhood. ISBN 978-94-92953-02-5.
- Çakir, Sedat (January 2019). Sufi Yolu. ISBN 978-60-58138-57-5.