|Directed by||Naranipuzha Shanavas|
|Written by||Naranipuzha Shanavas|
|Produced by||Vijay Babu|
Aditi Rao Hydari
|Edited by||Deepu Joseph|
|Music by||M. Jayachandran|
|Distributed by||Amazon Prime Video|
Sufiyum Sujatayum (transl. Sufi and Sujata) is a 2020 Indian Malayalam-language romantic drama film written and directed by Naranipuzha Shanavas, and produced by Vijay Babu under his production company Friday Film House. The film stars Jayasurya, Aditi Rao Hydari and Dev Mohan in lead roles. It was released on Amazon Prime Video on 3 July 2020.
Sujata (Aditi Rao Hydari) is introduced as a mute single daughter of Mallikarjunan (Siddique) and Kamala (Kalarenjini). She is also a talented Kathak dancer. Sujata is from a Hindu family. One day Sujata meets Sufi (Dev Mohan) on a bus. Sufi is a whirling dervish and a Muslim scholar who returns after an expedition to meet his Ustad. There he loses his misbaha (prayer beads), which Sujatha returns to him. Later, one day Sufi gifts his misbaha to Sujata, which was a gift from his mother. Soon after, they fall in love and decide to elope. Instead, her father marries her off to a well-to-do NRI Rajeev (Jayasurya), in Dubai. Bearing in mind that interfaith relationships are claimed by the Hindu Nationalists as fraudulent Love Jihad, Sujata's father argues with Ustad about the consequences of Love. Five years later, she thinks that love is lost.
Sufi returns to the village after ten years. Ustad is no more. Sufi visits his grave at the mosque cemetery. Imam (Mamukkoya) finds him there and invites him inside. Sufi gives out the call to prayer and gathers people. Unfortunately, he dies during that prayer. Sujata is devastated by the news of Sufi's death. Her husband Rajeev decides to bring her back to the village to attend the burial. They reach the funeral only after Sufi's body is in the process of burial. However, Rajeev pays a visit at the grave, since females aren't allowed inside.
Later that evening, Rajeev realizes that he has lost his passport. After searching for it everywhere, he concludes that it could've fallen from his pocket into the grave. Rajeev and his father-in-law Mallikarjunan decide to unearth the grave, together with their tenant Kumaran. But the trio ends up bickering with one another when they can't find anything. Meanwhile, Sujatha arrives there with the passport, which she had hidden so she could return the misbaha, once the grave is unearthed. They return to Dubai and stop fighting.
- Jayasurya as P.R Rajeev, Sujata's Husband
- Aditi Rao Hydari as Sujata, Rajeev's Wife
- Dev Mohan as Sufi, Sujata's old Lover
- Siddique as Mallikarjunan, Sujata's Father
- Mamukkoya as Imam Salman Hassan
- Hareesh Kanaran as Ashokan, Taxi Driver
- Madhumohan Kuttamparambath
- Kalarenjini as Kamala, Sujata's Mother
- Valsala Menon as Sujata's Grandmother
- Manikandan Pattambi as Kumaran
- Swami Shoonya as Ustad Aboob
- Lohan Balan as Moosakka
- Priya Sunny as Airhostess
|Soundtrack album by|
|Released||16 July 2020|
|Genre||Feature Film Soundtrack|
The soundtrack and film score were composed by M Jayachandran. The soundtrack runs for over nineteen minutes and has seven tracks; sung by Sudeep Palanad, Nithya Mammen, and Amrutha Suresh. Manoj Yadav and B. K. Harinarayanan were the lyricists.
All music is composed by M Jayachandran.
|1.||"Vathikkalu Vellaripravu"||B K Harinarayanan,Kollam Shafi||Nithya Mammen Singer, Arjun Krishna||04:13|
|2.||"Alhamdulillah"||B K Harinarayanan||Sudeep Palanad, Amrutha Suresh||05:05|
|3.||"Doorie"||Manoj Yadav||Madhuvanthi Narayanan||02:30|
Awards and nominations
|51st Kerala State Film Awards||Best Music Director (song)||M. Jayachandran||For all Songs||Won|||
|Best Music Director (scores)||M. Jayachandran||Won|
|Best Female Playback Singer||Nithya Maammen||For the song Vathikkalu Vellaripravu||Won|
|Best Choreographer||Lalitha Soby
|Best Sound Mixing||Ajith Abraham George||Won|
|45th Kerala Film Critics Awards||Best Music Director||M. Jayachandran||For all songs||Won|||
|Popular Movie of the Year||Sufiyum Sujatayum||Won|
|10th South Indian International Movie Awards||Best Debutant Actor (Malayalam)||Dev Mohan||Won|||
|Best Female Playback Singer (Malayalam)||Nithya Maammen||For the song Vaathikkalu Vellaripravu||Won|
|Best Male Playback Singer (Malayalam)||Sudeep Paland||For the song Alhamdulliah||Nominated|
|Best Lyricist (Malayalam)||B. K. Harinarayanan||For the song Vaathikkalu Vellaripravu||Nominated|
|Best Cinematographer (Malayalam)||Anu Moothedathu||Nominated|
|J C Daniel Film Award||Best Music Director (scores)||M. Jayachandran||For all songs||Won|||
Sufiyum Sujatayum was released on Amazon Prime Video on 3 July 2020. It was originally scheduled for a theatrical release, but due to the COVID-19 pandemic, it went straight to an OTT release. It is the second Malayalam film to have a direct OTT release after Fourth River. Baradwaj Rangan of Film Companion South described it as a classy romance that is too restrained and keeps viewers at arm's length.
- "Jayasurya joins Aditi Rao in 'Sufiyum Sujatayum'". The New Indian Express. 21 September 2019. Retrieved 15 May 2020.
- "Jayasurya to act with Aditi Rao Hydari in Sufiyum Sujatayum". The Times of India. 20 September 2019. Retrieved 15 May 2020.
- "51st Kerala State Film Awards: The full winners list". Indian Express. 17 October 2021. Retrieved 17 December 2021.
- "Kerala Film Critics Awards: Prithviraj, Biju Menon share best actor award". English Mathrubhumi News. 13 September 2021. Retrieved 18 December 2021.
- "SIIMA awards: Check out Malayalam winners of 2019 and 2020". OnManorama. 21 September 2021. Retrieved 18 December 2021.
- "JC Daniel Foundation Film Award 2020: 'Ennivar', 'Disha' share best film honours". The New Indian Express. 16 November 2021. Retrieved 18 December 2021.
- "Sufiyum Sujatayum to being streaming on Amazon Prime Video from July 3". Indian Express. 22 June 2020. Retrieved 22 June 2020.
- "Aditi Rao Hydari and Jayasurya's 'Sufiyum Sujatayum' becomes first Malayalam release to get OTT release". The Hindu. 15 May 2020. Retrieved 15 May 2020.
- "A"Sufiyum Sujatayum" first Malayalam film to be released on OTT platform". Outlook. 3 July 2020. Retrieved 3 July 2020.
- "Sufiyum Sujatayum On Amazon Prime Video, with Aditi Rao Hydari and Dev Mohan: A Classy Romance That's Too Restrained, And Keeps Us At An Arm's Length". FilmCompanion. 7 July 2020.