This article may require copy editing for grammar, style, cohesion, tone, or spelling. (June 2021)
|Directed by||Naranipuzha Shanavas|
|Produced by||Vijay Babu|
|Written by||Naranipuzha Shanavas|
Aditi Rao Hydari
|Music by||M. Jayachandran|
|Edited by||Deepu Joseph|
|Distributed by||Amazon Prime Video|
Sufiyum Sujatayum (transl. Sufi and Sujata) is a 2020 Indian Malayalam-language romantic drama film written and directed by Naranipuzha Shanavas and produced by Vijay Babu under his banner, Friday Film House. The film stars Jayasurya, Aditi Rao Hydari, Dev Mohan, and Siddique in the leading roles. The film was released on Amazon Prime Video on 3 July 2020.
Sujata (Aditi Rao Hydari) is an innate mute single daughter of Mallikarjunan (Siddique) and Kamala (Kalarenjini). She's also a talented Kathak dancer in the village. Sujata is from a Hindu family. One day Sujata gets on a bus to her village where she meets Sufi (Dev Mohan), a whirling dervish and a Muslim scholar who returns after an expedition to meet his Ustad. There he accidentally loses his misbaha (prayer beads), which Sujatha returns to him. Later one day Sufi gifts this misbaha to Sujata which itself was a gift from his mother. Soon after, both of them fall in love with each other and the couple decides to elope but her father gets her married off to a well-do-to NRI Rajeev (Jayasurya), in Dubai. Bearing in mind that inter-faith relationships are propagated by hindu right wing as fraudulent Love Jihad cases attempted at conversion, Sujata's father argued with Ustad about the consequences of Love. Five years have passed since and she thinks that she's left that love in her past.
Sufi returns to village from nowhere after ten long years. Ustad is now no more. Sufi visits the grave of Ustad at the mosque cemetery. Imam (Mamukkoya) finds him at the grave and invites him inside. Sufi gives out the call to prayer and gathers people but unfortunately he passes away during that prayer. Sujata gets devastated by the call bringing the death news of Sufi. Her husband Rajeev decides to bring her back to the village to attend the burial. They could reach for the funeral only after the body of Sufi was on process of burial however Rajeev pays a visit at the grave since females aren't allowed inside.
Later that evening Rajeev realises that he has lost his passport and after searching for it everywhere, he concludes that it could've fallen from his pocket into the grave. Rajeev and his father-in-law Mallikarjunan decides to unearth the grave together with their tenant Kumaran. But the trio ends up bickering each other when they couldn't find anything. Meanwhile, Sujatha arrives there with the passport which she had hidden for her to return the misbaha, once the grave is unearthed.Then she and her husband Rajeev goes to dubai and they both stop fighting .sad+ happy ending
- Jayasurya as P.R Rajeev
- Aditi Rao Hydari as Sujata, Rajeev's Wife
- Dev Mohan as Sufi, Sujata's Lover
- Siddique as Mallikarjunan, Sujata's Father
- Mamukkoya as Imam
- Hareesh Kanaran as Taxi Driver Ashokan
- Madhumohan Kuttamparambath
- Kalarenjini as Kamala, Sujata's Mother
- Valsala Menon as Sujata's Grandmother
- Manikandan Pattambi as Kumaran
- Swami Shoonya as Ustad Aboob
- Lohan Balan as Moosakka
|Soundtrack album by|
|Released||16 July 2020|
|Genre||Feature Film Soundtrack|
|Producer||Vijay Babu ameenoddin|
The film's soundtrack and film score were composed by M Jayachandran. The soundtrack runs for over nineteen minutes and has seven tracks; sung by Sudeep Palanad, Nithya Mammen and Amrutha Suresh. Manoj Yadav and B. K. Harinarayanan were the lyricists.
All music is composed by M Jayachandran.
|1.||"Vathikkalu Vellaripravu"||B K Harinarayanan||Nithya Mammen Singer, Arjun Krishna||04:13|
|2.||"Alhamdulillah"||B K Harinarayanan||Sudeep Palanad, Amrutha Suresh||05:05|
|3.||"Doorie"||Manoj Yadav||Madhuvanthi Narayanan||02:30|
Sufiyum Sujatayum was released on Amazon Prime Video on 3 July 2020. It was originally scheduled for a theatrical release, but due to the COVID-19 pandemic, it went straight to an OTT release. Baradwaj Rangan of Film Companion South titled his review as a classy romance that’s too restrained, and keeps us at an arm’s length.
- "Jayasurya joins Aditi Rao in 'Sufiyum Sujatayum'". The New Indian Express. 21 September 2019. Retrieved 15 May 2020.
- "Jayasurya to act with Aditi Rao Hydari in Sufiyum Sujatayum". The Times of India. 20 September 2019. Retrieved 15 May 2020.
- "Sufiyum Sujatayum to being streaming on Amazon Prime Video from July 3". Indian Express. 22 June 2020. Retrieved 22 June 2020.
- "Aditi Rao Hydari and Jayasurya's 'Sufiyum Sujatayum' becomes first Malayalam release to get OTT release". The Hindu. 15 May 2020. Retrieved 15 May 2020.
- "A"Sufiyum Sujatayum" first Malayalam film to be released on OTT platform". Outlook. 3 July 2020. Retrieved 3 July 2020.
- "Sufiyum Sujatayum On Amazon Prime Video, with Aditi Rao Hydari and Dev Mohan: A Classy Romance That's Too Restrained, And Keeps Us At An Arm's Length". FilmCompanion. 7 July 2020.