Sugar Corporation of Uganda Limited
|Industry||Manufacture & Distribution of Sugar|
Number of employees
SCOUL is the third-largest manufacturer of sugar in Uganda, producing an estimated 60,000 metric tonnes annually, accounting for approximately 17 percent of national output. Its sugar is marketed in Uganda, Kenya, Tanzania, Rwanda, Burundi, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, and South Sudan. According to a 2010 published report, SCOUL was undergoing renovations and expansion to increase output to 100,000 metric tonnes annually by 2013.
In 1900, at age thirteen, he left his native India and sailed to Eastern Africa, settling in Uganda near the town of Lugazi, Buikwe District in the Central Region. Over the next thirty to forty years Mehta travelled between India and East Africa 46 times. He established in Uganda cotton ginneries, a sugar plantation, a sugar factory, tea plantations, and coffee plantations. The sugar factory, established in 1924, eventually became SCOUL.
The main factory of the company is located in the town of Lugazi, approximately 48 kilometres (30 mi), by road, east of Kampala, the capital and the largest city of Uganda. The coordinates of the SCOUL factory are 0°22'59.0"N, 32°56'27.0"E (Latitude:0.383056; Longitude:32.940833).
SCOUL is a subsidiary of the Mehta Group, a diversified industrial and investment conglomerate based in Mumbai, employing over 10,000 people in Asia, Africa, Europe, and North America. As of August 2011[update], the shareholding in SCOUL was as depicted in the table below:
|Rank||Name of Owner||Percentage Ownership|
|1||Government of Uganda||51.00|
- Kajoba, Nicholas (19 November 2006). "SCOUL Staff Stage Strike". New Vision. Kampala. Retrieved 12 January 2015.
- Mehta Group (2010). "The Mehta Group: Our Business". MehtaGroup.Com. Retrieved 12 January 2015.
- Ojambo, Fred (5 April 2011). "Ugandan Sugar Producers Plan to Invest $197 Million to Expand, Diversify". Bloomberg News. Retrieved 12 January 2015.
- Mehta Group (2010). "The Mehta Group: Founder's Profile". MehtaGroup.Com. Retrieved 12 January 2015.
- "Distance Between Kampala And Lugazi With Map". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 12 January 2012.
- Google (12 January 2015). "Location of SCOUL Factory At Google Maps" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved 12 January 2015.
- Habati, Mubatsi Asinja (27 August 2011). "Mabira: No Storm In Mehta's Tea Cup". The Independent (Uganda). Retrieved 12 January 2015.
- Uganda's Total Annual Sugar Production To Hit 350,000 Metric Tonnes In 2011
- Website of Mehta Group of Companies