Sugar Creek Township, Putnam County, Ohio
|Sugar Creek Township, Putnam County, Ohio|
Houses at Rimer
Location of Sugar Creek Township in Putnam County
|• Total||30.5 sq mi (79.1 km2)|
|• Land||30.5 sq mi (79.0 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.1 km2)|
|Elevation||751 ft (229 m)|
|• Density||37.9/sq mi (14.6/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086869|
Located in the southern part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Union Township - north
- Pleasant Township - northeast
- Monroe Township, Allen County - southeast
- Sugar Creek Township, Allen County - south
- Marion Township, Allen County - southwest corner
- Jennings Township - west
- Jackson Township - northwest corner
Name and history
Sugar Creek Township was organized in the 1830s, and named after the Sugar Creek which flows through it. Statewide, four other Sugar Creek Townships are located in Allen, Stark, Tuscarawas, and Wayne counties, plus a Sugarcreek Township in Greene County.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Putnam County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Archived 2016-08-18 at the Wayback Machine. Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- Kinder, George D. (1915). History of Putnam County, Ohio : its peoples, industries, and institutions. B.F. Bowen. p. 157.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.