Sugar Grove, Illinois
Sugar Grove, Illinois
Location of Sugar Grove in Kane County, Illinois
|Townships||Sugar Grove, Big Rock|
|• Type||Council-Manager government|
|• President||Sean Michels|
|• Total||11.58 sq mi (29.99 km2)|
|• Land||11.56 sq mi (29.95 km2)|
|• Water||0.01 sq mi (0.04 km2) 0.19%|
| • Estimate |
|• Density||854.99/sq mi (330.13/km2)|
|Area code(s)||630 and 331|
Sugar Grove is located in southern Kane County at  It is bordered to the east by the city of Aurora and to the west by the village of Big Rock. Sugar Grove nearly encircles the unincorporated community of Prestbury, and the city of Yorkville is to the south. Downtown Chicago is 46 miles (74 km) to the east.(41.772529, -88.442374).
According to the 2010 census, Sugar Grove has a total area of 10.485 square miles (27.16 km2), of which 10.47 square miles (27.12 km2) (or 99.86%) are land and 0.015 square miles (0.04 km2) (or 0.14%) are water.
Sugar Grove is located within a band of heavy growth on the western edge of the Chicago metropolitan area, stretching from approximately the Huntley area in McHenry County to the New Lenox area in Will County. Sugar Grove adopted its first comprehensive land use plan on January 12, 1981.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
As of the census of 2000, there were 3,909 people, 1,272 households, and 1,074 families residing in the village. The population density was 606.1 people per square mile (234.0/km2). There were 1,297 housing units at an average density of 201.1 per square mile (77.6/km2). The racial makeup of the village was 95.86% White, 1.38% African American, 0.03% Native American, 0.51% Asian, 1.28% from other races, and 0.95% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 4.43% of the population.
There were 1,272 households, out of which 47.2% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 76.7% were married couples living together, 5.1% had a female householder with no husband present, and 15.5% were non-families. 12.0% of all households were made up of individuals, and 2.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 3.07 and the average family size was 3.37.
In the village, the population was spread out, with 32.4% under the age of 18, 5.9% from 18 to 24, 33.9% from 25 to 44, 23.1% from 45 to 64, and 4.7% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 35 years. For every 100 females, there were 102.5 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 99.3 males.
The median income for a household in the village was $75,856, and the median income for a family was $83,332. Males had a median income of $52,425 versus $35,028 for females. The per capita income for the village was $30,299. About 1.1% of families and 1.8% of the population were below the poverty line, including 1.5% of those under age 18 and 3.4% of those age 65 or over.
Transportation and utilities
Sugar Grove is accessible by one interstate highway (Interstate 88), one US highway (US Route 30), and two state highways (Illinois Route 47 and Illinois Route 56). Route 56 connects the central part of Sugar Grove to Interstate 88. US 30 utilizes the same pavement as Illinois Route 47 from the village's southern border to the interchange with Illinois Route 56. US 30 then turns west. Illinois Route 47 is a heavily travelled route at the far western edge of the Chicago area and runs north–south through the village. Aurora Municipal Airport is situated on the northwest side of town, capable of handling small jets. The BNSF Railway's mainline from Chicago to Seattle runs through the village. The Virgil Gilman Trail is a paved bicycle trail connecting the city of Aurora to the east with Waubonsee Community College to the north.
Major highways in Sugar Grove include:
Students who live in Sugar Grove attend either Kaneland Community Unit School District #302 or West Aurora School District #129. In Kaneland, children who are in grades K-5 attend Kaneland John Shields Elementary School in Sugar Grove or Kaneland McDole Elementary School in Montgomery. For grades 6–8, they attend Kaneland Harter Middle School in Sugar Grove, while grades 9-12 are served by Kaneland High School in Maple Park.
In 2004, the library district passed an $8 million building bond for a new library. The bond was issued in February 2005. The doors opened on August 8, 2009. The facility is approximately 25,500 sq ft (2,370 m2). The library district service area encompasses nearly all of Sugar Grove Township and the portion of Blackberry Township south of Seavey Road. Excluded from this geography are the areas in the city of Aurora and the village of North Aurora. In 2008, the district population was 15,476, of which 40% had a library card.
- P. J. Fleck, head football coach at University of Minnesota
- Julie Montagu, Viscountess Hinchingbrooke, entrepreneur, yoga instructor, blogger, writer and reality television star
- Jim Oberweis, businessman and politician
- John F. Petit, businessman and politician; born in Sugar Grove
- "2019 U.S. Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved July 14, 2020.
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". United States Census Bureau. May 24, 2020. Retrieved May 27, 2020.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Sugar Grove village, Illinois". American Factfinder. U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved February 14, 2019.[dead link]
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". Retrieved August 18, 2019.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "G001 - Geographic Identifiers - 2010 Census Summary File 1". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2020-02-13. Retrieved 2015-12-25.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "U.S. Census website". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Lambert, Victoria (September 2017). "Meet Julie Montagu, future Countess of Sandwich and all-American guru of healthy living". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 12 February 2020.
- 'Illinois Blue Book 1937-1938,' Biographical Sketch of John F. Peti, pg. 160-161