A suicide epidemic is an epidemic of suicides. Such epidemics have occurred in the former Soviet Union in the 1990s; among police officers; on Indian reservations; in Micronesia; The Werther effect occurs when suicides that are made publicly known encourage others to imitate them. It has been suggested that the teaching of stories such as Romeo and Juliet may encourage suicide among young people.
- E Brainerd (2001), Economic reform and mortality in the former Soviet Union: a study of the suicide epidemic in the 1990s, European Economic Review
- JM Violanti (2007). Police suicide: Epidemic in blue. ISBN 978-0-398-07762-4.
- JA Ward, J Fox (1977), A suicide epidemic on an Indian reserve, Canadian Psychiatric Association Journal
- FX Hezel (1987), Truk suicide epidemic and social change (PDF), Human Organization
- J Thorson, PA Öberg (2003), Was There a Suicide Epidemic After Goetheʼs Werther? (PDF), Archives of Suicide Research
- DM Stupple (1987), Rx for the suicide epidemic, English Journal