Suicide of Audrie Pott
Audrie Pott was a 16-year-old student at Saratoga High School in Saratoga, California who died by suicide on September 12, 2012. She had been sexually assaulted by three teenage boys at a party eight days earlier and pictures of the assault were posted online with accompanying bullying.
Pott's suicide and the circumstances surrounding it have been compared to the suicide of Rehtaeh Parsons, a young woman in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, appearing to show highly similar characteristics. New laws are being considered as a result of these events.[where?][which?][when?]
On September 3, 2012, Pott went to party with about 10 other teenagers who were allegedly drunk. Three or more of these teenagers sexually assaulted Pott. Three boys eventually pleaded guilty to and served time in juvenile hall for the sexual assault. During the assault, photographs were taken and distributed via social network and SMS. In the following days, Pott was bullied by some who saw the photographs. On September 12, 2012, Pott killed herself by hanging.
In April 2013, three sixteen-year-old boys were arrested in northern California on suspicion of sexual battery to Pott. Pott's parents also filed a lawsuit against the three teenagers, and in July 2013 they added a fifteen-year-old girl as a defendant in the suit, alleging she was present during the assault and later lied about it to help cover it up.
Juvenile court case
Three teenage boys admitted in juvenile court to sexually assaulting and possessing photos of Audrie Pott, both felonies. Two of the three received 30-day sentences to be served on weekends. The other was sentenced to 45 consecutive days. Because of their ages, the three teenagers have not been publicly identified.
A civil case filed by Pott's parents, to decide if the boys were responsible for her death, was originally set to go to forward to trial in April 2015. The case reached settlement prior to going to trial. As part of the terms of trial, two of the boys were required to verbally apologize in open court, admit again to the sexual assault, admit to their role in the death of Audrie Pott, agree to being filmed in a documentary, pay a combined $950,000, support the petition for an honorary diploma for Audrie Pott, and give 10 presentations on sexual assault and sexting.
- Cyberstalking legislation
- Harassment by computer
- Steubenville High School rape case
- Torrington High School rape case
- Post-assault treatment of victims of sexual assault
- "Three 16-year-old boys are charged in ANOTHER tragic web 'sexual assault' suicide: Teens arrested after girl, 15 killed herself when they 'posted photos of her ordeal online'". Daily Mail. London. 12 April 2013. Retrieved 13 April 2013.
- "U.S. teen's death eerily similar to Rehtaeh Parsons's story - Nova Scotia - CBC News". CBC News. 12 April 2013. Retrieved 12 April 2013.
- "3 U.S. teens arrested for sexual battery after girl's suicide - World - CBC News". CBC News. 12 April 2013. Retrieved 13 April 2013.
- "Audrie Pott Suicide: Top 10 Facts You Need to Know". Heavy. Retrieved 14 April 2013.
- "3 Boys Plead Guilty to Sexually Assaulting Audrie Pott". nbcbayarea.com. Retrieved 24 September 2016.
- "Saratoga: Teen girl defendant added to suit for girl's suicide after alleged sexual assault". Mercurynews.com. Retrieved 2016-09-25.
- "Reports: 3 teens admit assaulting NorCal girl who later killed herself". CBSNews.com. January 16, 2014. Retrieved January 16, 2014.
- "Audrie Pott: Do boys share blame for Saratoga teen's suicide?". mercurynews.com. Retrieved 24 September 2016.
- [dead link]
- "San Jose: Boys in Audrie Pott case apologize in settlement". mercurynews.com. Retrieved 24 September 2016.
- "audrie-daisy". Sundance.org. Retrieved 24 September 2016.
- "Interview with Sheila Pott (mother of Audrie), Daisy Coleman, and Melinda Coleman (mother of Daisy) : Part 1". Democracy Now. Retrieved 2016-09-25.
- "Interview with Sheila Pott (mother of Audrie), Daisy Coleman, and Melinda Coleman (mother of Daisy) : Part 2". Democracy Now. Retrieved 2016-09-25.