Sukanya Samriddhi Account
|Sukanya Samriddhi Account|
|Launched||22 January 2015|
Sukanya Samriddhi Account ( Girl Child Prosperity Account) is a Government of India backed saving scheme targeted at the parents of girl children. The scheme encourages parents to build a fund for the future education and marriage expenses for their female child.
The scheme was launched by Prime Minister Narendra modi on 22 January 2015 as a part of the Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao campaign. The scheme currently provides an interest rate of 8.5%  (for January - March 2019 quarter ) and tax benefits. The account can be opened at any India Post office or branch of authorised commercial banks.
The scheme was launched by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 22 January 2015 in Panipat, Haryana. The accounts can be opened at any India Post office or a branch of some authorised commercial banks. Initially, the interest rate was set at 9.1% but later revised to 9.2% in late March 2015 for FY2015-16. Interest Rate have been revised for FY 2016-17 to 8.6%. 
The account can be opened anytime between the birth of a girl child and the time she attains 10 years age by the parent/guardian. Only one account is allowed per child. Parents can open a maximum of two accounts for each of their children (exception allowed for twins and triplets). The account can be transferred to anywhere in India.
A minimum of ₹250 must be deposited in the account initially. Thereafter, any amount in multiples of Rs 100 can be deposited. However, the maximum deposit limit is ₹150,000. If the minimum deposit of ₹250, (initially which was 1000) is not made in a year, a fine of ₹50 will be put on.
The girl can operate her account after she reaches the age of 10. The account allows 50% withdrawal at the age of 18 for higher education purposes. The account reaches maturity after time period of 21 years from date of opening it. Deposits in the account can be made till the completion of 14 years, from the date of the opening of the account. After this period the account will earn only applicable rate of interest.If the account is not closed, then it will not earn interest at the prevailing rate. If the girl is over 18 and married, normal closure is allowed. 
Interest rates revisions
|Serial Number||Financial Year||Date Range||Interest Rate||Minimum Investment||Maximum Investment|
|1||2014-15||1 April 2014 to 31 March 2015||9.1%||1,000||150,000|
|2||2015-16||1 April 2015 to 31 March 2016||9.2%||1,000||150,000|
|3||2016-17||1 April 2016 to 30 Sep 2016||8.6%||1,000||150,000|
|4||2016-17||1 Oct 2016 to 31 Mar 2017||8.5%||1,000||150,000|
|5||2017-18||1 Apr 2017 to 30 June 2017||8.4%||1,000||150,000|
|6||2017-18||1 July 2017 to 31 Dec 2017||8.3%||1,000||150,000|
|7||2018-19||1 Jan 2018 to 30 Sep 2018||8.1%||250||150,000|
|8||2018-19||1 Oct 2018 to 31 Dec 2018||8.5%||250||150,000|
|9||2018-19||1 Jan 2019 to 31 March 2019||8.5%||250||150,000|
At the time of launch, only the deposits in the account were eligible for tax deduction under Section 80C of the Income Tax Act, which is ₹150,000 in 2015-16. However, Finance Minister Arun Jaitley announced, during the 2015 Union Budget, tax exemption on the interest from the account and on withdrawal from the fund after maturity, making the tax benefits similar to that of the Public Provident Fund. These changes were applied retrospectively from 1 April 2015. These benefits will be reassessed annually.
By mid-March 2015, within 2 months of launch, 1,80,000 accounts had been opened under the scheme. Karnataka, Tamil Nadu and Andhra Pradesh reported highest number of new accounts. The number of accounts opened up to October, 2015 under Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana across the country is 76,19,668. The impact is that 76,19,668 girl children got ₹28.38 billion (US$390 million) deposited in their name.
SSY Closure on maturity Rules 2016
(1) The Account shall mature on completion of a period of twenty-one years from the date of its opening: Provided that the final closure in the Account may be permitted before completion of such period of twenty one years, if the account holder, on an application, makes a request for such premature closure for reasons of intended marriage of the Account holder and on furnishing of age proof confirming that the applicant will not be less than eighteen years of age on the date of marriage:
Provided that no such premature closure shall be made before one month preceding the date of the marriage or after three months from the date of such marriage.
(2) On maturity, the balance including interest outstanding in the Account shall be payable to the Account holder, on an application by the Account holder for closure of the Account, and on furnishing documentary proof of her identity, residence and citizenship.
(3) No interest shall be payable once the Account completes twenty-one years from the date of its opening. 
Transfer of account under Sukanya Samriddhi Account
(1) The Account may be transferred anywhere in India and from or to post offices and from or to Banks and between post office and Bank, free of cost on furnishing of proof of shifting of residence of either the guardian or the Account holder and otherwise, on payment of a fees of one hundred rupees to the post office or the Bank to which the transfer is made.
(2) The process of transfer of the account shall be effected electronically if the post office or the Bank concerned, has access to the facility of CBS.
- "Small savings: Girl, uninterrupted". The Financial Express (India). 30 March 2015. Retrieved 2 July 2015.
- "Government Revises Interest Rate On Time Deposit Small Savings Scheme".
- "PM to unveil Sukanya Samriddhi accounts to incentivise girl child". The Indian Express. 22 January 2015. Retrieved 2 July 2015.
- "Modi launches 'Sukanya Samridhi Yojana' in Haryana". Business Standard. 22 January 2015. Retrieved 2 July 2015.
- "1.8 lakh A/Cs opened under Sukanya scheme in 2 mths of launch". The Financial Express (India). Retrieved 2 July 2015.
- "Sukanya Samriddhi to earn at 9.2% interest, PPF 8.7% for FY16". 31 March 2015.
- Agr, Pavan. "Interest Rate Sukanya Yojana". Sukanya Yojana.
- Agr, Deb. "Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana". Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana.
- "Sukanya Samriddhi Account to Earn 9.2% Interest: 10 Facts". NDTV. 4 April 2015. Retrieved 2 July 2015.
- "Sukanya Samriddhi Accounts". India Post. Retrieved 2 July 2015.
- "'Sukanya Samridhi Yojana Calulator'". Retrieved 26 May 2018.
- "e Sukanya Samriddhi Account Rules, 2014" (PDF). Reserve Bank of India. Retrieved 2 July 2015.
- "Accounts opened up to 31.10.2015 under Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana (SSA) across the country is 76, 19,668".
- FAQs About Sukanya Samridhi Yojana Scheme
- Sukanya Samriddhi Account