Sukhinder Singh Cassidy
Sukhinder Singh Cassidy
Sukhinder Singh Cassidy at Joyus
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
|Alma mater||University of Western Ontario, Richard Ivey School of Business|
|Board member of||TripAdvisor, J. Hilburn, Ericsson|
Sukhinder Singh Cassidy (born Sukhinder Singh in 1970) is a technology executive and entrepreneur. She has worked at companies including Google, Amazon and News Corp, Yodlee (YODL), and Polyvore. In 2011, she founded JOYUS, the video shopping platform for women, and served as CEO then Chairman until 2017. Singh Cassidy is also Founder of theBoardlist.
Early life and education
Sukhinder Cassidy was born in 1970 in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania to parents of Sikh descent. Her family moved to Ontario, Canada, when she was two years old. She grew up in St. Catharines, in Canada's Niagara Region. Sukhinder Cassidy graduated from the University of Western Ontario and earned her H.B.A. from the Richard Ivey School of Business in 1992.
Sukhinder Cassidy was raised in an entrepreneurial family. Both of her parents were doctors and ran a medical practice for thirty years.
Sukhinder Cassidy started her career in investment banking at Merrill Lynch in New York. She moved to the Merrill Lynch London office 1994. She then worked as an analyst for British Sky Broadcasting.
In 1998, Sukhinder Cassidy moved to Silicon Valley and joined ecommerce startup Junglee (company) as Head of Business Development. Junglee was acquired by Amazon in 1998. Following the acquisition, Sukhinder Cassidy joined Amazon, where she led merchant business development for the first generation of Amazon marketplace. According to Bloomberg Business, she helped create "one of the company's first programs designed to deliver shoppers to merchants that carried what the buyers were looking for."
Sukhinder Cassidy co-founded financial services platform Yodlee in 1999 with five engineering co-founders, including Schwark Satyavolu. and served as SVP of Sales and Business Development from 1999 to 2003. In 2014, Yodlee went public, trading under the ticker YODL.
In 2003, Sukhinder Cassidy joined Google as the first General Manager for Google Local & Maps, and Head of Content Acquisition for Books, Library, Scholar, Shopping and Video. There she launched Google Local and Maps, with product manager Bret Taylor and a team of engineers. In 2004, she became head of Google's international operations in Asia Pacific (APAC) and Latin America (LATAM), becoming VP in 2005 and then President of APAC and LATAM in 2008. Singh-Cassidy is credited with building Google's presence across 103 countries in Asia Pacific and Latin America.
In October 2010, Sukhinder Cassidy had the idea for a new platform aimed at converging content and commerce through online video as a way to increase consumer engagement with products and drive direct purchases via the video. She founded JOYUS in January, 2011 in San Francisco, CA. Joyus.com launched to the public in August, 2011. Singh Cassidy raised $7.9 million in seed funding from Accel Partners, Harrison Metal, Joel Hyatt, Venky Harinarayan & Anand Rajaraman. In 2012, JOYUS raised a second round of funding totaling $11.5 million from Interwest and Time Warner, as well as existing investors.
JOYUS was ranked one of the "Hot 100" e-retailing websites by Internet Retailer in 2012; and one of the "Top 25 Ecommerce Companies to Watch" by Brand Innovators in 2013. JOYUS was a winner of the 2013 Brightcove Innovation Awards and a winner of the 2013 L’Oreal Next Generation Digital Awards. JOYUS was featured by Apple as one of the best Lifestyle shopping apps for the 2014 holiday season.
JOYUS was acquired by StackCommerce in September, 2017.
#ChoosePossibility Project and theBoardlist
In May 2015, Sukhinder Cassidy published an open letter, titled "Tech Women Choose Possibility", challenging the tech community to increase the rate of progress for women in the industry by leveraging its wealth of existing female talent. The letter was co-signed by 59 female entrepreneurs and investors. Singh Cassidy based the letter on her own experiences as a tech entrepreneur and research she conducted on 230 female founders and CEOs of tech companies.
Sukhinder Cassidy launched theBoardlist, the first initiative of the #ChoosePossibility Project, on July 15, 2015. theBoardlist is an online marketplace that connects CEOs who are looking for board candidates with women who are peer-endorsed for private and public tech company boards. When it launched, theBoardlist included the names of over 600 women who had been endorsed by 50 investors and CEOs in the tech industry, from companies including Accel Partners, Greylock Partners, Twitter, Lyft and Box.
On October 20, 2015, theBoardlist announced that it had facilitated its first placement of a woman to the board of a private tech company.
As of late 2017, theBoardlist had attracted over 1,400 executives to nominate over 2,100 women for board service, and influenced over 100 board placements.
Sukhinder Cassidy is married to Simon Cassidy, a fellow Canadian and former hedge-fund manager who runs an independent investment firm. The couple has three children and lives in the San Francisco Bay area.
Board member and advisor
Sukhinder Cassidy serves as a public board director at TripAdvisor (TRIP), Ericsson (ERIC), and Urban Outfitters (URBN). She previously served on the boards of J. Crew Group, Inc.(JCG), StitchFix, and as an advisor to Twitter.
- Named one of the Most Creative People in Business by Fast Company (2017)
- Named one of the "Silicon Valley 100" by Business Insider (2016, 2012)
- Named a "Power Women" by Forbes (2014)
- Featured in book, Good Leaders Learn: Lessons from Lifetimes of Leadership (2013)
- Named one of "The Silicon Valley 100" by Business Insider (2012)
- Named one of "44 Female Founders Every Entrepreneur Should Know" (2012)
- Named one of "14 Incredible Women to Watch in Silicon Valley" (2012)
- Included in Ad Age list of "Women to Watch" (2010)
- Selected as TechFellow Awards’ first General Management Fellow in recognition of outstanding innovation in General Management (2009)
- Named by Fortune as one of "tech's next-gen leaders" and featured on the cover of the annual Most Powerful Women Magazine addition (2008)
- Keynote Speaker, Dreamforce 2016
- Keynote Speaker, Retail Council of Canada, Store 2015
- Keynote Speaker at IRCE 2014 – Internet Retailer Conference & Exhibition
- Keynote Speaker, D2C Convention 2014
- Keynote Speaker, Stanford University's Entrepreneurship Thought Leadership Series, 2012
- Keynote Speaker, SVB CEO Summit West, 2012
- Speaker, AllThingsD Asia, 2011
- Keynote speaker at DLDWomen, 2010
- Keynote Speaker at India Conclave, 2007
- Featured in book, Innovation nation : Canadian leadership from Java to Jurassic Park (2002)
Singh Cassidy is a select angel investor whose investments include:
- "theBoardlist Team". theBoardlist.
- "Joyus Launches V-Commerce". Women's Wear Daily.
- "Joyus' CEO has a new plan to get more women onto startup boards". Fortune.
- "Sukhinder Singh Cassidy: CEO of Polyvore's 'appetite for change' creates Silicon Valley success". Silicon Valley Business Journal.
- "Ex-Google exec Singh Cassidy on Joyus and facing her "inner entrepreneur"". Fortune.
- "The Rise of a Dealmaker". Bloomberg. Bloomberg.
- "Amazon to Buy two Companies". CNET.
- "Yodlee, a Hub for Financial Apps, Raises $75 Million in I.P.O." DealBook. New York Times.
- "Yet another Googler leaves: Singh Cassidy joins Accel Partners". VentureBeat.
- "Accel Partners Adds Google Executive Sukhinder Singh Cassidy as CEO-in-Residence".
- "Former Google Exec Singh Cassidy Becomes CEO of Fashion Start-up Polyvore". All Things D. Dow Jones & Co.
- "Ex-Google honcho Sukhinder Singh Cassidy sets up video shopping online network Joyus". The Economic Times.
- "Making Shopping Social With Video: Joyus Founder Sukhinder Singh-Cassidy". Forbes.
- "Premium Video Commerce Site Joyus — Headed by Top Ex-Googler — Gets $7.9 Million in Funding". All Things D.
- "Video Shopping Startup Joyus Raises $11.5 million in Second Round, Focuses on ROI of Online Retail". All Things D.
- "2013 Hot 100". Internet Retailer.
- "Brand Innovators Honors West Coast With "Top 25 E-Commerce Companies to Watch" List". Brand-Innovators.com.
- "a winner of the 2013 Brightcove Innovation Awards". Brightcove.
- "Women in Digital: Class of 2013". L'Oreal Women in Digital. L'Oreal.
- Shieber, Jonathan. "StackCommerce buys Joyus to focus on video and expand into fashion, shopping and beauty". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2017-10-08.
- "Tech Women Choose Possibility". Re/Code.
- "#ChoosePossibility Project". Medium.
- "A Woman On Every Startup Board? Why Not, Says Ex-Google Exec". Forbes.
- "Boardlist, The Tool For Getting Women On Tech Boards, Has Its First Win". TechCrunch.
- "The Boss: Sukhinder Singh Cassidy Is on a Mission to Get More Women on Company Boards". Motto. Time, Inc.
- "Sukhinder Singh Cassidy Named President of StubHub". Billboard. Billboard.
- "Board of Directors". TripAdvisor. TripAdvisor, LLC.
- "Board of Directors". Ericcson.
- "URBN Appoints a New Member to the Board of Directors". Urban Outfitters. Urban Outfitters, Inc.
- "The Most Creative People in Business". Fast Company. Mansueto Ventures, LLC.
- "Silicon Valley 100". Business Insider. Business Insider Inc.
- "The Power Women Who Are Reinventing The Way You Shop Fashion Online". Forbes.
- Seijts, Gerard (2013). Good Leaders Learn : Lessons from Lifetimes of Leadership. London: Routledge. pp. 186–195. ISBN 978-0415659772.
- "The Silicon Valley 100". Business Insider.
- "44 Female Founders Every Entrepreneur Should Know". Mashable.
- "14 Incredible Women to Watch in Silicon Valley". Business Insider.
- "Women to Watch: Sukhinder Singh Cassidy". Ad Age.
- "Sukhinder Singh". TechFellow Awards.
- "My tech 'a-ha' moment: Sukhinder Singh Cassidy". Fortune.
- "Dreamforce Keynotes". Dreamforce. Salesforce.com, Inc.
- "Sukhinder Singh Cassidy". Store Conference. Retail Council of Canada.
- "Sukhinder Singh Cassidy, Chairman and Founder, Joyus". Marketing Sherpa.
- "Sukhinder Singh Cassidy Named Keynote Speaker for 2014 ERA D2C Convention". Market Wired. Marketwire.
- "Find Your Vector of Impact". Stanford University Entrepreneurship Corner.
- "How to Scale Yourself as CEO". Youtube.
- "SurveyMonkey's Dave Goldberg, Joyus's Sukhinder Singh Cassidy and Airbnb's Brian Chesky: Highlights From AsiaD". All Things D.
- "Sukhinder Singh Cassidy". DLD (Digital-Life-Design).
- "Consumers will run the show". India Today.
- Brody, Leonard (2002). Innovation nation : Canadian leadership from Java to Jurassic Park. Etobicoke, Ont.: Wiley. pp. 185–190. ISBN 978-0-470-83202-8.
- "Stitch Fix: Reinventing Retail Through Personalization". Above the Crowd. Bill Gurley.
- "The RealReal Raises $14 Million in Series B to Expand Its Lead in Reselling Authenticated Luxury Designer Goods". PR Newswire.
- "Charitable Water Filter Maker Soma Raises $3.7M Seed Round". TechCrunch.
- "J.Hilburn Rapidly Building the Next Great Men's Retail Brand". Yahoo Finance. Yahoo.