|Current owner(s)||Jiro Ono|
|Head chef||Jiro Ono|
|Street address||Tsukamoto Sogyo Building
Basement Floor 1
2-15, Ginza 4-chome
|Other locations||Roppongi Hills|
Sukiyabashi Jiro (すきやばし次郎 Sukiyabashi Jirō?) is a sushi restaurant in Ginza, Chūō, Tokyo, Japan. It is owned and operated by sushi master Jiro Ono. The Michelin Guide has awarded it 3 stars. A two-star branch operated by his son Takashi is located at Roppongi Hills in Minato, Tokyo. French chef Joël Robuchon says that the restaurant is one of his favorites in the world, and that it taught him that sushi is an art.
There was a fire at the restaurant on the morning of June 24, 2013. Firefighters said that a sushi chef had been using straw to smoke bonito, and that the straw most likely ignited after he returned it to the storeroom. The fire took about an hour to extinguish. There were no injuries.
U.S. President Barack Obama dined at the restaurant with Japanese Prime Minister Shinzō Abe on April 23, 2014. There are conflicting reports as to whether he finished the sushi, though Prime Minister Abe said "Obama proclaimed it 'the best sushi I’ve ever had in my life.'"
- Sukiyabashi Jiro website
- Kitamura, Makiko (November 17, 2009). "Michelin Guide Gives 3 Stars to 11 Tokyo Restaurants". bloomberg.com. Retrieved 16 August 2011.
- 鮨 すきやばし 次郎 [Sushi Sukiyabashi Jiro]. Roppongi Hills website (in Japanese). Mori Building Co., Ltd. 2013. Retrieved 3 January 2014.
- Richard Vines and Makiko Kitamura (24 Nov 2010). "Japan Matches France in Michelin Three-Star Eateries". Bloomberg. Retrieved 1 April 2012.
The new two-star restaurants in Tokyo: ... Sukiyabashi Jiro Roppongi (Japanese Sushi) ...
- S. Karene Witcher (March 27, 2009). "Hit List: Joël Robuchon's favorite restaurants". Wall Street Journal.
- Jiro Dreams of Sushi official site
- "Fire breaks out in Ginza building with famous sushi restaurant". Japan Today. June 24, 2013.
- Superville, Darlene (23 April 2014). "Obama Opens Japan Trip at Famous Sushi Restaurant". Associated Press. Retrieved 23 April 2014.
- Report: Obama Didn’t Even Finish Jiro’s Sushi - NYMag
- "Jiro Ono warns of raw deal from overfishing". Daily News (New York). 4 November 2014.