|Topical cream, by mouth|
|ATC code||J01EC02 (WHO) QJ01EQ10 (WHO)|
|Chemical and physical data|
|Molar mass||250.278 g/mol|
|Melting point||252 to 256 °C (486 to 493 °F)|
|(what is this?)|
Sulfadiazine is an antibiotic. Used together with pyrimethamine it is the treat of choice for toxoplasmosis. It is a second line treatment for otitis media, prevention of rheumatic fever, chancroid, chlamydia and infections by Haemophilus influenzae. It is taken by mouth.
Common side effects include nausea, diarrhea, headache, fever, rash, depression, and pancreatitis. It should not be used in people who have severe liver problems, kidney problems, or porphyria. If used during pregnancy it may increase the risk of kernicterus in the baby. It is believed to be safe during breastfeeding if the baby is otherwise healthy. It is in the sulfonamide class of medications.
Sulfadiazine was approved for medical use in the United States in 1941. It is on the World Health Organization's List of Essential Medicines, the most effective and safe medicines needed in a health system. Sulfadiazine is available as a generic medication. The wholesale cost in the developing world is about 2.70 to 7.32 USD a month. In the United States treatment costs more than 200 USD a month.
Mechanism of action
Lantrisul; Neotrizine; Sulfa-Triple #2; Sulfadiazine; Sulfaloid; Sulfonamides Duplex; Sulfose; Terfonyl; Triple Sulfa; Triple Sulfas; Triple Sulfoid
- "Sulfadiazine". The American Society of Health-System Pharmacists. Retrieved 8 December 2016.
- WHO Model Formulary 2008 (PDF). World Health Organization. 2009. pp. 126, 205. ISBN 9789241547659. Retrieved 8 December 2016.
- "Sulfadiazine Use During Pregnancy | Drugs.com". www.drugs.com. Retrieved 9 December 2016.
- "WHO Model List of Essential Medicines (19th List)" (PDF). World Health Organization. April 2015. Retrieved 8 December 2016.
- "Sulfadiazine". International Drug Price Indicator Guide. Retrieved 8 December 2016.
- Hamilton, Richart (2015). Tarascon Pocket Pharmacopoeia 2015 Deluxe Lab-Coat Edition. Jones & Bartlett Learning. p. 104. ISBN 9781284057560.