Sulli in KCON Music Festival 2013 Fan Meeting
|Birth name||Choi Jin-ri|
March 29, 1994 |
Yangsan, South Gyeongsang, South Korea
|Origin||Busan, South Korea|
|Years active||2005–present (Acting)
2009–2014 (Singing; on hiatus)
|Revised Romanization||Choe Jin-ri|
Choi Jin-ri (born March 29, 1994), better known by her stage name Sulli, is a South Korean singer and actress. She was a former member of the South Korean girl group f(x), on August 7, it was announced that Sulli had officially withdrawn from the group to focus on an acting career, and that the group will continue to promote as four members with SM managing Sulli's acting endeavors.
Sulli was born on March 29, 1994 in the city of Yangsan, South Gyeongsang Province, Republic of Korea, but spent her childhood in Busan. Her birth name is Choi Jin-ri; her given name means "the truth" in Korean. She is the only daughter of her family, having two older brothers and a younger brother. Her mother enrolled her in acting school at a young age.
Sulli first came to Seoul in 2004 while in the fourth grade. In 2005, she began her acting career, playing the young Princess Seonhwa of Silla in the SBS drama Ballad of Seodong and, some time later, had a cameo appearance in another SBS drama, Love Needs a Miracle.
She later developed a desire to become a singer, a dream she followed by attending an S.M. Entertainment audition, during which she sang the S.E.S song titled Chingu ("Friend"). After the audition she was officially cast as an SM trainee and during the same year, moved into a dormitory with Taeyeon and Tiffany of Girls' Generation. She continued to stay there up until the debut of Girls' Generation, in 2007.
Sulli attended Jungbu Elementary School (중부초등학교) and then attended Chungdam Middle School (청담중학교). She graduated from the School of Performing Arts Seoul.
When Sulli was in fourth grade, she was accepted into S.M. Entertainment through an SM audition casting system, from there she became an SM trainee. On September 1, 2009 she debuted as a member of the group f(x), with their single 'La Cha Ta'.
In the midst of Red Light promotions, Sulli abruptly went on hiatus from the Korean entertainment industry due to being "mentally and physically exhausted from the continuous, malicious comments and false rumors" that had been spread about her. Her hiatus was officially announced on July 24, 2014. In August 2015, (a year into her hiatus) it was announced that Sulli has officially withdrawn from the group to focus on an acting career, and that the group will continue to promote as four members with SM managing Sulli's acting endeavors.
Sulli began acting professionally at the age of 11, when she was back selected to play young Princess Seonhwa of Silla in the SBS television drama, Ballad of Seodong. A few months later, she made a cameo appearance in Love Needs a Miracle, another SBS television drama. In 2006, she had a small supporting role as the childhood crush of TVXQ/JYJ's Micky Yoochun in the theatrical drama Vacation. Sulli later landed a minor role in Punch Lady (2007), The Flower Girl is Here (2007) and BABO (2008).
In August 2012, Sulli starred as the lead role in the drama To the Beautiful You, alongside SHINee's Choi Minho. The drama, a remake version of the Japanese manga and drama Hana-Kimi, was directed by Director Jeon Ki-sang. Contrary to her athletic onscreen character, f(x)'s Krystal disclosed that Sulli does not like to play any sports in real life.
In August 2014, she appeared in the movie The Pirates alongside Son Ye-jin and Kim Nam-gil. She played a supporting character named Heuk-myo, who is the mood maker and has a lively personality. The drama had a production budget of ₩10 billion and was directed by Director Lee Seok-hoon. Set in the Joseon era, the storyline tells of a group of female pirates and male bandits in search of treasure that has been swallowed by a whale. The movie has been sold to 15 countries. In November 2014, she played the lead role in the movie Fashion King, alongside Joo Won and Kim Sung-oh. It was based on the popular webtoon that portrays the story of a male student Woo Ki-myung (Joo Won) who becomes interested in fashion and tries to become the most handsome and best dressed man around. The reason for his decision is due to his wish to become a cool enough guy to catch the attention of the ulzzang girl in his class (portrayed by Park Se-young). Sulli played a character named Kwak Eun-jin, a shy girl who likes Woo Ki-myung, and attempts to change her style to catch his attention.
Image and artistry
Sulli is widely known in Korea as "Giant Baby" because of her baby face and being the tallest member in f(x). She is the member that debuted first as a child actress in the drama Ballad of Seodong as young Princess Seonhwa of Silla. The singer IU wrote the song, "Peach", with her in mind.
On July 25, 2014, SM Entertainment announced Sulli would be taking a temporary hiatus from the Korean entertainment industry. It was confirmed on August 19, 2014, by both Amoeba Culture and SM Entertainment, that Sulli and Dynamic Duo's Choiza are in a relationship.
Music video appearances
|2012||Mr. Simple (3D LG Ver.)||Super Junior||Herself with Victoria|
|2007||Punch Lady||Gwak Chun-sim|
|2010||A Turtle's Tale: Sammy's Adventures||Shelly||Korean dub
|2012||I AM. - SM Town Live World Tour in Madison Square Garden||Herself||Documentary of SMTown in New York|
|2014||The Pirates||Heuk-myo||Supporting role|
|2014||Fashion King||Kwak Eun-jin||Lead role|
|2005||Ballad of Seodong||Young Princess Seonhwa of Silla||SBS|
|2005||Love Needs a Miracle||Na Sun-ju||MBC||Cameo appearance|
|2010||Oh! My Lady||Runway model||Cameo appearance|
|2011||Welcome to the Show||Sulli (fictional version of herself)||Lead role|
|2012||To the Beautiful You||Goo Jae-hee||Lead role, Korean version of Hana Kimi|
|2005||Prettiest Child Contest||Big Ribbon Child Award||N/A||Won|
|2012||SBS Drama Awards||New Star Award||To the Beautiful You||Won|
- "SM Town Live '10 World Tour in Shanghai "Artistes Confirmation"(Choi Jin Ri)" (in Chinese). sh.piao.com.cn(中國票務在綫). Retrieved 2015-01-08.
- Mark Russell (29 April 2014). K-Pop Now!: The Korean Music Revolution. Tuttle Publishing. p. 93. ISBN 978-1-4629-1411-1.
- Behind the glamour: S.M. stars retrace their beginnings Koreaherald.com (May 1, 2012). Retrieved on January 28, 2015.
- f(x)'s Sulli snapped a photo with Director Lee Byung Hoon Originally from WonderfulGeneration.net (November 15, 2011). Archived on June 5, 2014. Retrieved on June 12, 2014.
- f(x) Singer Sulli Becomes A Pirate Kpopstarz.com (August 13, 2013). Retrieved on June 1, 2014
- f(x)’s Sulli tears up while talking about SNSD’s Taeyeon, Tiffany Allkpop (June 28, 2011). Retrieved on May 21, 2014
- "f(x)’s Sulli takes a break from showbiz". ChannelNews Asia. Retrieved 17 August 2014.
- Jones, Julie. "HOME Celebs View Archives Rumors Force Sulli To Take A Break From Performing". Kdramastars. Kdramastars. Retrieved February 3, 2015.
- "Sulli no longer f(x) member". The Korea Times. August 9, 2015. Retrieved August 13, 2015.
- "Sulli leaves f(x) to 'focus on acting'". Kpop Herald. August 7, 2015. Retrieved August 13, 2015.
- "f(x) Sulli Expresses Anxiety and Anticipation for Her Upcoming Drama "To the Beautiful You"". Soompi. June 29, 2012. Retrieved June 29, 2012.
- "Chinese Variety Show Happy Camp". Happy Camp (in Chinese and Korean). March 16, 2013. approx. 16 minutes in. Hunan Broadcasting System.
- Sulli rumored to star opposite potential male lead Joo Won in movie 'Fashion King' Allkpop (November 2013). Retrieved on June 20, 2014.
- "최자-설리 양측 "호감 갖고 의지하는 사이" 첫 공식 인정". Naver News. OSEN. Retrieved 19 August 2014.
- SM Confirms Choiza and Sulli′s Relationship Mwave.interest.me (August 19, 2014). Retrieved August 20, 2014.
- "Rebellious Sulli takes netizens by surprise". Allkpop. 28 December 2009. Retrieved 2014-06-27.
- "Big Bang's Daesung and f(x)'s Sulli to dub for 3-D animation film". Allkpop. 11 November 2010. Retrieved 2014-06-27.