Sullivan & Cromwell
|Headquarters||125 Broad Street
New York City
|No. of offices||12 total, 8 international|
|No. of attorneys||802 (2013)|
|Major practice areas||General practice|
|Key people||Joseph Shenker, Chairman and Senior Partner
H. Rodgin Cohen , Senior Chairman
|Revenue||$1.08 billion (2010)|
|Founder||Algernon Sydney Sullivan and William Nelson Cromwell|
|Company type||Limited liability partnership|
Sullivan & Cromwell LLP is an international law firm headquartered in New York, founded in the 1880's. It gained notoriety for its impact on international affairs, and for the benefits accrued to its corporate clients by decisions of its alumni, the brothers Allen (CIA Director) and John (US Secretary of State) Dulles. The firm currently[when?] has approximately 800 lawyers in 12 offices, located in financial centers around the globe.
|This section requires expansion with: examples of the firm's impact upon affairs of nation-states, eg. from the two books already cited as references in this article.. (October 2015)|
Founding partners Algernon Sydney Sullivan and William Nelson Cromwell advised John Pierpont Morgan during the creation of Edison General Electric (1882) and later guiding key players in the formation of U.S. Steel (1901) and the financing of the Panama Canal. The firm has been closely involved in the affairs of some of America's, and now the world's, greatest industrial, commercial and financial enterprises; it represents the Panama Canal Authority to this day.
During the Great Depression and its aftermath, the firm litigated in the newly emerging fields shareholder derivatives, antitrust actions, federal income tax law, and registration under the Securities Act of 1933.
In 1935, Allen Dulles visited Germany and returned greatly disturbed by the direction of the regime. He advised that the firm should close its Berlin office, against his brother's strong objections, and the partners eventually voted to close it, although John Foster subsequently backdated documents to suggest that the closing date had been 1934.
Individuals who have worked at Sullivan & Cromwell include:
- Ann Althouse, blogger and professor of law
- Louis Auchincloss, writer
- Norris Darrell, former President, American Law Institute
- Florence Davis, President of the Starr Foundation
- Arthur Dean
- Allen Welsh Dulles, Director of the CIA
- John Foster Dulles, US Secretary of State during the Eisenhower administration
- Ronald Dworkin, philosopher and law professor
- Judith Kaye, Former Chief Judge of the New York Court of Appeals
- Robert MacCrate
- Peter Thiel, Technology Entrepreneur, Venture Capitalist and Co-founder of Paypal
- Harlan Fiske Stone, Chief Justice of the United States
- Robert MacCrate, Counsel to New York Governor Nelson D. Rockefeller and as Special Counsel to the Department of the Army for its investigation of the My Lai Massacre.
- VEP: Sullivan & Cromwell. New York: Vault, Inc. 1998. ISBN 1-58131-095-1.
- Lisagor, Nancy; Frank Lipsius (1989). A Law Unto Itself: The Untold Story of the Law Firm Sullivan & Cromwell. New York: Paragon House. ISBN 1-55778-239-3.