Sully pictured in 2018
|Species||Canis lupus familiaris|
|Born||July 14, 2016|
Sully is a yellow labrador dog employed as a service animal for disabled military veterans in the United States. He is notable as the service dog used by the former President of the United States George H. W. Bush during the last six months of his life, up until Bush's death on November 30, 2018.
Sully was trained by the charity America's VetDogs and is able to perform a two-page list of commands, which includes fetching items, answering a telephone, and summoning help in an emergency. He was assigned to assist George H. W. Bush in the summer of 2018 through the dog's participation in a veteran service dog program at the Walter Reed National Military Medical Center. According to America's VetDogs, Sully was named after former U.S. Air Force officer and US Airways pilot Chesley Sullenberger III. Sully received early attention from his own Instagram page covering his life and work with the Bush family.
Death of George H. W. Bush
Following the death of President Bush, Sully accompanied the former president's remains to Washington, D.C. for the state funeral. A photo posted to Twitter by Bush spokesman Jim McGrath showing the dog sleeping next to the coffin containing Bush's remains in Texas attracted more than 230,000 likes in two days. Sully also visited the Capitol rotunda where Bush was lying in state. According to reports, he was to be returned to an America's VetDogs facility in New York during the Christmas season before being placed back into rotation in the service animal program at the Walter Reed National Military Medical Center.
- "George H.W. Bush's service dog Sully lays by his casket in Houston". CBS News. Associated Press. December 3, 2018. Retrieved December 3, 2018.
- O'Connor, Austin. "President George H.W. Bush Gets a Service Dog". aarp.org. AARP. Retrieved December 3, 2018.
- "Former President Bush gets a service dog named 'Sully'". Boston Herald. December 3, 2018. Retrieved June 26, 2018.
- "America's VetDogs Provides President George H.W. Bush With Service Dog Sully". vetdogs.org. America's VetDogs. Retrieved December 3, 2018.
- Martinez, Matthew (December 3, 2018). "What's next for Sully, Bush's service dog lying loyally beside his casket? Helping vets". Miami Herald. Retrieved December 6, 2018.
- "George HW Bush's service dog Sully will travel with his late owner ahead of state funeral". Australian Broadcasting Corporation. December 3, 2018. Retrieved December 3, 2018.
- "George HW Bush's service dog Sully pays touching last tribute". BBC News. Retrieved December 6, 2018.
- "Sully the service dog visits casket of George H. W. Bush". Sky News. Retrieved December 6, 2018.