Sulphur Springs, Benton County, Arkansas
Parts of this article (those related to demographics) need to be updated.(June 2016)
|Sulphur Springs, Arkansas|
Location of Sulphur Springs in Benton County, Arkansas.
|• Total||1.02 sq mi (2.65 km2)|
|• Land||1.02 sq mi (2.64 km2)|
|• Water||0.00 sq mi (0.01 km2)|
|Elevation||909 ft (277 m)|
|• Estimate (2016)||531|
|• Density||521.10/sq mi (201.19/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||2405541|
Sulphur Springs is a city in Benton County, Arkansas, United States. The population was 511 at the 2010 census. It is part of the Fayetteville–Springdale–Rogers, AR-MO Metropolitan Statistical Area.
Sulphur Springs is located in northwest Benton County at  The city center is about one mile south of the Missouri-Arkansas state line. Arkansas Highway 59 runs through the city, leading north to Noel, Missouri, and south to Gravette.(36.4835487 -94.4591194).
At the 2000 census, there were 671 people, 229 households and 160 families residing in the city. The population density was 667.1 per square mile (256.5/km²). There were 279 housing units at an average density of 277.4 per square mile (106.7/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 86.74% White, 2.24% Black or African American, 0.89% Native American, 0.30% Asian, 7.15% from other races, and 2.68% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 16.69% of the population.
There were 229 households of which 40.2% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 52.4% were married couples living together, 11.4% had a female householder with no husband present, and 29.7% were non-families. 24.0% of all households were made up of individuals and 12.2% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.93 and the average family size was 3.45.
32.8% of the population were under the age of 18, 9.2% from 18 to 24, 27.6% from 25 to 44, 18.9% from 45 to 64, and 11.5% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 30 years. For every 100 females there were 95.1 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 90.3 males.
The median household income was $25,536 and the median family income was $29,844. Males had a median income of $21,354 and females $19,000. The per capita income was $9,542. About 20.0% of families and 25.8% of the population were below the poverty line, including 30.2% of those under age 18 and 10.0% of those age 65 or over.
Places of interest
The Harbor House in Sulphur Springs has stood for over a hundred years. It still serves as a religious hotel and guest house for tourists.
- Jim Hendren (b. 1963), a businessman from Sulphur Springs, represents District 2 in the Arkansas Senate. He is a former member of the Arkansas House of Representatives.
- Kim Hendren, (b. 1938), father of the above, also served in both houses of the Arkansas General Assembly
- "2016 U.S. Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved Jul 18, 2017.
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". Retrieved June 9, 2017.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Sulphur Springs city, Arkansas". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved September 24, 2013.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Sulphur Springs, Benton County, Arkansas
- Arkansas Atlas & Gazetteer, DeLorme, 2004, 2nd edition, p. 22, ISBN 0-89933-345-1
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved January 31, 2008.