Sultan Ahmed Al Jaber
Sultan Ahmed Al Jaber
Sultan Ahmed Al Jaber is Minister of State in the United Arab Emirates, the Director-General and CEO of the Abu Dhabi National Oil Company (ADNOC Group), the Chairman of Masdar, the Chairman of UAE National Media Council in addition to sitting on numerous corporate boards. Dr. Sultan Al Jaber is also a prominent advocate of alternative energy and sustainable development.
Al Jaber holds a BSc in Chemical Engineering from the University of Southern California the United States and a PhD in business and economics from Coventry University in the United Kingdom and an MBA from the California State University at Los Angeles.
Al Jaber was appointed as the Director-General of Abu Dhabi National Oil Company (ADNOC) on 15 February 2016 and was later named the firm's CEO. After his appointment, Al Jaber revealed a plan to modernize ADNOC and make its operations more profitable.
Al Jaber played a key role in the establishment and launch of Masdar in 2006 and served as the CEO of DB Masdar Clean Tech Fund L.P., Masdar Institute of Science and Technology and Masdar Venture Capital. He has been the Chairman of Masdar since March 2014 and served as CEO and Managing Director before.
In 2009, Al Jaber led Masdar’s participation in the successful bid by the United Arab Emirates (UAE) to host the headquarters of the International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA) in Abu Dhabi. IRENA's headquarters will eventually move to Masdar City.
Al Jaber has been the Chairman of Masdar since March 2014 and served as the CEO and Managing Director before. He also played a foundational role in the establishment and launch of Masdar in 2006 and served as the CEO of DB Masdar Clean Tech Fund L.P., Masdar Institute of Science and Technology and Masdar Venture Capital.
Before his work with Masdar, Al Jaber worked on projects in energy, utilities and other industries at the Mubadala Development Company. Masdar is a wholly owned subsidiary of Mubadala, where as of 2015 Al Jaber serves as CEO for Energy.
Public service, non-profit work, and advocacy
In 2009, Al Jaber was appointed by United Nations Secretary General Ban Ki-Moon to his Advisory Group on Energy and Climate Change (AGECC), which published its final report in 2010. The recommendations from this report form the basis of the Sustainable Energy for All initiative launched in 2011.
Al Jaber’s work to advance renewable energy and clean technology led to his appointment in 2010 as the UAE's special envoy for energy and climate change. As special envoy, Al Jaber was responsible for helping to formulate and advocate for the UAE's diplomatic positions and public policy with respect to energy and climate change.
In 2008, Al Jaber spearheaded the establishment of The Zayed Future Energy Prize. The Zayed Future Energy Prize is an annual US$4 million award funded by the United Arab Emirates to recognize excellence in renewable energy and sustainability.
In 2011, Al Jaber was selected to serve on the United Nations Secretary General’s high level group on sustainable energy for all. It is an effort initiated by the UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon to ensure universal access to modern utilities, double the rate of improvement in energy efficiency, and double the global market share of renewable energy by 2030.
Later he was also selected as a member of the Sustainable Development Solutions Network’s Leadership Council. The Council was announced by the United Nations' Secretary General and Jeffrey Sachs, Director of The Earth Institute at Columbia University.
On 12 March 2013, Al Jaber was named Minister of State and joined the UAE cabinet. Al Jaber's appointment was approved by Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan, the UAE's president. Speaking of the appointment of Al Jaber and other ministers, Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, the UAE’s Vice President and Prime Minister and Ruler of Dubai, said the new cabinet has “young faces with new ideas and energy to keep up with the rapid changes and to deal with our people’s top priorities."
Al Jaber's responsibilities include UAE’s economy, politics, development, media, energy, infrastructure and sustainability.
Al Jaber serves on numerous corporate and non-profit boards where he provides advice on issues related to economics, infrastructure, sustainability and energy. He is chairman of the board for the Abu Dhabi Ports, Sky News Arabia. He also serves on the boards of ALDAR Sorouh, Emirates Global Aluminium, and ZonesCorp.
- "Emirates Publishers Association and UAE National Media Council Sign MoU to Enhance Publishing Sector". Saudigazette. 2017-11-02. Retrieved 2018-03-18.
- "Members Of The Cabinet". Cabinet of the United Arab Emirates. Archived from the original on 27 January 2016. Retrieved 2016-01-19.
- "H.E Dr. Sultan Ahmed Al Jaber". Retrieved 2018-03-05.
- "Sultan Ahmed Al Jaber Ph.D.: Executive Profile & Biography - Bloomberg". www.bloomberg.com. Retrieved 2018-03-18.
- "Adnoc to streamline operations across all activities, Sultan Al Jaber says". The National. Retrieved 2018-03-05.
- "Dr. Sultan Ahmed Al Jaber". Huffington Post. Retrieved 31 January 2013.
- Energy for a Sustainable Future: Summary Report and Recommendation
- "His Excellency Dr. Sultan Ahmed Al Jaber". Aldar. Retrieved 18 March 2015.
- "Dr. Sultan Ahmed Al Jaber". Global Green Growth Institute. Retrieved 31 January 2013.
- "Sustainable Energy for All (SE4All)". 2016-04-30. Archived from the original on 2016-04-30. Retrieved 2018-03-28.CS1 maint: BOT: original-url status unknown (link)
- "'New young faces' for UAE Cabinet as Sheikh Mohammed unveils reshuffle". The National. 12 March 2013. Retrieved 15 April 2013.
- "Members Of The Cabinet". uaecabinet.ae. Retrieved 2018-09-02.
- "Abu Dhabi Ports Company board reconstituted". www.tradearabia.com. Retrieved 2018-03-18.
- "Sky News launches in UAE". The National. Retrieved 2018-03-18.
- "Aldar board to undergo changes". The National. Retrieved 2018-03-18.
- "H.E. Dr. Sultan Ahmed Al Jaber | EGA". EGA. Retrieved 2018-09-04.
- "His Excellency Dr Sultan Al Jaber Gets Cabinet Seat". Masdar.ac.ae. Masdar. Retrieved 18 March 2015.
- "Speaker Details: Oil & Money 2017". www.oilandmoney.com. Retrieved 2018-09-02.
- "Masdar's CEO Receives Mauritania's Order of National Merit Medal". masdar.ae. Retrieved 2018-09-02.