Sultan Ahmed Ismail
This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (June 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Sultan Ahmed Ismail|
9 October 1951|
|Alma mater||The New College, Chennai|
|Awards||Aringar Anna Award by Government of Tamil Nadu|
|Institutions||The New College, Chennai|
Sultan Ahmed Ismail (born 9 October 1951) is an Indian soil biologist and ecologist. His work has centred on techniques for recycling biodegradable waste into fertilizer using local varieties of earthworms, and on soil bioremediation.
Ismail received a D.Sc. in Zoology from the University of Madras in 2001 for his research on the role of earthworms in soil ecology and waste management. He is also the Managing Director of the Ecoscience Research Foundation.
This section of a biography of a living person does not include any references or sources. (November 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Ismail works with the Department of Science and Technology of the Government of India, in the development of a module on vermicomposting as a sustainable ecological practice for children. He also conducted a project for the Environment and Forests Department of the Government of Tamil Nadu state for implementing vermicomposting in 50 schools in Chennai(Madras), and delivered several lectures to more than 200 schools in India and abroad on environmental awareness, solid waste management and vermicomposting. He is currently working with the Consumer Association of Penang (CAP), in an effort to promote awareness of organic farming, vermitech and waste management to educational institutions and organic farmers of Malaysia.
- Aspects of Behaviour (Ismail, S.A., and Alawdeen, S.S., ed)., The New College, Chennai, India. 161 pp. 1987.
- Environmental Studies for Class I (Gopalan, R., Sundaram, V., and Ismail, S.A.), Tata McGraw Hill Publishing Company Ltd., India. 60 pp. 1994.
- Environmental Studies for Class II (Gopalan, R., Sundaram, V., and Ismail, S.A.), Tata McGraw Hill Publishing Company Ltd., India. 59 pp. 1994.
- Composting through earthworms (Ismail, S.A., Seshadri, C.V., Jeeji Bai, N., and Suriyakumar, C.R.), M.C.R.C., Chennai, India. 38 pp. 1994.
- Vermitech (vermicompost and vermiwash) (Ismail, S.A.), Ajju's wormery, Chennai, India. 10 pp. 1996.
- Vermitech (mannpuzhu uram mattrum mannpuzhu serivuttapatta neer) In Tamil, (Ismail, S.A.), Ajju's wormery, Chennai, India. 11 pp. 1996.
- Usar sudhar khetu vermiculture tatha vermiwash ka uthpadhan In Hindi. (Ismail, S.A.). Uttar Pradesh Land Development Corporation, Lucknow, India. 07 pp. 1996.
- Vermitech: Worm powered technology (ed Ismail, S.A.), Council for Advancement of People's Action and Rural Technology, New Delhi, India. 40 pp. 1997.
- Vermicology: The Biology of Earthworms, (Ismail, S.A.) Orient Longman. 92pp. 1997.
- Mannpuzhu: Valarppum, Tozhilnutpamum, Payankalum (In Tamil) (Ismail, S.A.) Orient Longman. 115pp. 2001.
- The Organic Farming Reader. (Alvares,C., Shiva,V., Ismail, S.A., Vijayalakshmi, K., Mathen, K., and Declercq, B. editors) ARISE and Other India Press, India. 1999. 298 pp.
- The Earthworm Book, (Ismail, S.A.,), Other India Press, Goa. 2005. 101 pp
- Arignar Anna Award by the Department of Environment, Government of Tamil Nadu, India for environmental education and awareness 2005
- "Wonder worms". The Star. 23 August 2005. Retrieved 15 December 2010.
- "Dr. Sultan Ahmed Ismail, M.Sc., Ph.D., D, Sc, Soil biologist and ecologist." Ecoscience Research Foundation. Retrieved 19 April 2011.
- "River conservation programme to be completed by September". The Hindu. 9 June 2006. Retrieved 11 November 2014.