Kurd Jafeh East City (ancient city), Kurdistan
Sultan Sahak (Kurdish: Soltân Sahâk; born 14th century; died 15th century) was a Kurdish religious leader who founded the spiritual path of the Ahl-e Haqq, also known as the Yarsan. He is considered to be the manifestation that fully reflects the divine essence by the Ahle Haqq and the revealer/expounder of the fourth stage of the religion.
Sultan Sahak was born in Barzinjah, in the province of present-day Sulaymania, Southern Kurdistan. According to the Ahl-e Haqq hagiography, he was a direct descendant of the Shia Muslim Imam Musa Kazim. Later in his life, he moved to the Avroman region in Iran. His father, Shaykh Isi, was a Shia religious leader with Sufi inclinations and his mother, Khatun-e Razbar, is considered the manifestation of one of the seven archangels. As with Jesus, the birth of Sultan is also believed to have been a case of virgin birth. According to his followers he revealed the fourth stage of the religion (Haqiqat=truth) to earth, the Bayabas-e Pirdiwari (beyond the bridge). According to the Ahl-e Haqq hagiography, the Asian conqueror Timur (Tamerlane) once met with Sultan and used him as an oracle. Sultan Sahak died in the village of Sheykhan in Kermanshah Province, where his tomb remains a place of pilgrimage for his followers.
Sultan Sahak's teachings were recorded by his disciples and later published in the Gurani language as the Kalam-e Saranjam. He is given various names by the followers of the Ahl-e Haqq, including Shah-e Haqiqat (the King of Truth), Saheb-Karam, Saan Sahaak and Khwaavandekaar (Lord).
- Kehl-Bodrogi, Krisztina; Barbara Kellner-Heinkele; Anke Otter-Beaujean, eds. (1997). Syncretistic Religious Communities in the Near East. Brill Publishers. p. 105. ISBN 90-04-10861-0. Partial text at Google Books.
- Elahi, Bahram (1987). Path of Perfection, the Spiritual Teaching of Master Nur Ali Elahi. ISBN 0-7126-0200-3.
- Elahi, Nur Ali. Burhan al-Haqq, (1963 first edition), Library of Congress call number BP195.A4 I42 1963 - card number:75-284686. Excerpt from pg 42 in original Persian: نسبش بحضرت امام موسی کاظم(ع) میرسد، محل تولدش قریۀ (برزنجه) ناحیۀ (شاره زور) بخش (حلبجه) شهرستان (سلیمانیه) استان (کرکوک) کشور فعلی عراق است.
- Hamzeh'ee, M. Reza (1990). The Yaresan: A Sociological, Historical and Religio-Historical Study of a Kurdish Community. ISBN 3-922968-83-X.
- "Ahl-e Haqq - Formation of the Order". www.ahle-haqq.com.