Sultan Sharif Ali Islamic University
Universiti Islam Sultan Sharif Ali
|جامعة السّلطان الشّريف عليّ الإسلاميّة|
'Observe your duty to God and it is God that teaches you' (Al-Baqarah: 282)
|Established||January 1, 2007|
|Founder||Sultan Hassanal Bolkiah|
|Ahlus Sunnah wal Jama'ah|
|Chancellor||Chancellor-Sultan Hassanal Bolkiah|
|Rector||Dr Haji Norarfan bin Haji Zainal|
|Language||Arabic, English, Malay|
|Colors||Green and White|
|Universiti Islam Sultan Sharif Ali |
Simpang 347, Jalan Pasar Baharu, Gadong
Bandar Seri Begawan BE1310, Negara Brunei Darussalam
Sultan Sharif Ali Islamic University (Malay: Universiti Islam Sultan Sharif Ali; abbreviated UNISSA; Arabic: جامعة السّلطان الشّريف عليّ الإسلاميّة) is Brunei's second university. It was established in 2007 as the first national Islamic university in Brunei.
The idea to open a second university in Brunei was first addressed by His Majesty Sultan Hassanal Bolkiah in his Titah delivered at University of Brunei Darussalam's 16th convocation in 2004 and again in 2005 at UBD's 17th convocation whereby His Majesty had stated that the second university shall be an Islamic university. The overall aim of the new university is to become a centre for the spread of Islam in the region.
The university took its name from the Sharifate of Mecca, Barkat Ali ibnu Sharif Ajlan ibnu Sharif Rumaithah, known as Sultan Sharif Ali, who was a descendant of Islamic prophet Muhammad and appointed as the third Sultan of Brunei after marrying the daughter of the previous sultan. He was the first sultan to build a mosque in Brunei; it was destroyed during Allied bombing in 1945/46.
On 11 Zulhijjah 1427AH (1 January 2007), Universiti Islam Sultan Sharif Ali was established. UNISSA received its first batch of students in August 2007. 125 undergraduates and 27 postgraduate students were admitted. On its launch UNISSA absorbed academic and non-academic staff as well as its students from the Sultan Haji Omar Ali Saifuddien Institute of Islamic Studies (IPI SHOAS) which had hitherto been a part of UBD. At the time, UNISSA did not have their own premises and had to use IPI SHOAS as their base.
In February 2009 the university moved to a new campus in Gadong at the former Pengiran Anak Puteri Rashidah College of Nursing to allow more room for expansion and facilities.
Become a world-class Islamic university that is progressive and dynamically based on the Qur'an and the Sunnah.
- Higher National Diploma Dirasat Islamiyyah
- Higher National Diploma Shariah Criminal Justice System
- Diploma of Islamic Law and Practice
- Certificate Of Shariah Criminal Justice System
- Bachelor of Usuluddin (Tafsir & Hadith) (Arabic)
- Bachelor of Usuluddin (Aqidah & Da‘wah) (Arabic)
- Bachelor of Usuluddin (Tahfiz & Qira’at) (Arabic)
- Bachelor of Shariah (Fiqh & Judiciary) (Arabic)
- Bachelor of Shariah (Fiqh & Usul) (Arabic)
- Bachelor of Laws (LLB) and Bachelor of Shariah (BSL): double degree (English)
- Bachelor of Arabic Language (Arabic)
- Bachelor of Islamic History and Civilization (Arabic)
- Bachelor of Science in Islamic Finance (English)
- Bachelor of Business Management (English)
- Bachelor of Halal Science (English)
- Master of Usuluddin
- Master of Shariah
- Master of Laws
- Master of Arabic Language
- Master of History and Islamic Civilization
- Master of Islamic Banking and Finance
- Master of Islamic Economics
- Master of Madzhab Shafi'i
- Master of Halal Laws
- Master of Halal Management
- Ph.D. in Usuluddin
- Ph.D. in Shariah
- Ph.D. in Arabic Language
- Ph.D. in Islamic History and Civilization
- Ph.D. in Law
- Ph.D. in Madzhab Shafi'i
- Ph.D. in Halal Laws
- Ph.D. in Halal Management
- Ph.D. in Islamic Economics
- Ph.D. in Islamic Banking and Finance
There are five academic faculties and eight centres in the university.
- Faculty of Arabic Language
- Faculty of Usuluddin
- Faculty of Shariah and Law
- Faculty of Islamic Economics and Finance
- Faculty of Islamic Development Management
- Centre for The Promotion of Knowledge and Languages Learning
- Centre for Postgraduate Studies
- Mazhab Shafi'i Research Centre
- Centre for Research and Publication
- Centre for Public and International Relations
- Centre for Technology and Multimedia
- Halalan Tayyiban Research Centre
- Leadership and Lifelong Learning Centre
As of 2014[update]:
- Pengiran Dato Seri Setia Dr Haji Mohammad Bin Pengiran Haji Abd. Rahman (2007-2009)
- Dr Haji Md Yusop Bin Haji Awang Damit (2009-2010)
- Dr Haji Serbini Bin Haji Matahir (2010-2013)
- Dr Haji Norarfan Bin Haji Zainal (2014-current)
- Dr Haji Md Yusop Bin Haji Awang Damit (2007-2009)
- Pengiran Anak Dr Haji Amiruddin Alam Shah Bin Pengiran Anak Haji Ismail (2010-2014)
- Dr Haji Awang Mohammed Hussain Bin Pehin Penyurat Haji Awang Ahmad (2014-current)
- Dr Hajah Masnon Binti Haji Ibrahim (2007-2009)
- Pengiran Anak Dr Haji Amiruddin Alam Shah Bin Pengiran Anak Haji Ismail (2009-2010)
- Dr Arman Bin Haji Asmad (2014-current)
- Universiti Islam Sultan Sharif Ali, Simpang 347, Jalan Pasar Baharu, Gadong, Bandar Seri Begawan BE1310, Negara Brunei Darussalam
- Tel. +673 2462000
- Fax. +673 2462233 / +673 2462244
- Email: email@example.com
Notes and references
- "New university's ideals". www.fmprc.gov.cn.
- "Universiti Islam Sultan Sharif Ali to launch first academic session". www.fmprc.gov.cn.
- "Sultan Sharif Ali Islamic University (UNISSA) – Brunei Darussalam". www.unissa.edu.bn.
- "Faculties & Centres – Sultan Sharif Ali Islamic University (UNISSA)". www.unissa.edu.bn. Retrieved 2016-07-11.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sultan Sharif Ali Islamic University.|