Sultan bin Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan
Sultan bin Zayed Al Nahyan
|3rd Deputy Prime Ministers of the United Arab Emirates|
Serving with Hamdan bin Zayed Al Nahyan (1997–2009)
|President||Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan (1990–2004)|
Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan (2004–2009)
|Prime Minister||Maktoum bin Rashid Al Maktoum (1990–2006)|
Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum (2006–2009)
|Preceded by||Hamdan bin Mohammed Al Nahyan &|
Maktoum bin Rashid Al Maktoum
|Succeeded by||Saif bin Zayed Al Nahyan &|
Mansour bin Zayed Al Nahyan
|Born||1 December 1956|
Al Ain, Trucial States
(now United Arab Emirates)
|Died||18 November 2019 (aged 62)|
Sheikh Sultan bin Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan (1 December 1956 – 18 November 2019) was an Emirati politician and member of the Al Nahyan family who previously served as the 3rd Deputy Prime Minister of the United Arab Emirates.
He died on 18 November 2019.
Early life and education
Sheikh Sultan was the second son of Sheikh Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan, founder of the UAE. He was born on 1 December 1956. His mother was his father's third wife; Sheikha, Sheikha bint Madhad Al Mashghouni. Sheikh Sultan was educated at Millfield School in Somerset, England and was a graduate of Royal Military Academy Sandhurst. His older paternal half-brother Sheikh Khalifa, is the current president of the United Arab Emirates, while his other half-brother, Sheikh Mohammed, is the current Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi.
In 1990, Sheikh Sultan was appointed as deputy prime minister of the United Arab Emirates
Sheikh Sultan was the president's representative, chairman of the media and cultural centre, chairman of the Emirates Heritage Club and chairman of Zayed center for coordination and follow-up, a member of Supreme Petroleum Council, and a member of Abu Dhabi Investment Authority.
Sheikh Sultan once served as the Chairman of the Zayed Center which was later closed by the UAE government when it became known that it disseminated and provided a platform for anti-American, anti-Semitic, and extreme anti-Israel views.
|Ancestors of Sultan bin Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan|
- National, The (18 November 2019). "Sheikh Sultan bin Zayed, brother of President Sheikh Khalifa, dies". The National. Retrieved 18 November 2019. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Sheikh Khalifa's brother passes away, 3-day mourning declared in UAE".
- "UAE Succession Update: The Post-Zayed Scenario". Wikileaks. 28 September 2004. Archived from the original on 3 June 2013. Retrieved 16 April 2013. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Anthony, John Duke (30 August 1999). "Succession in Abu Dhabi" (PDF). NCUSAR. Retrieved 11 April 2013. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "H. H. Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan". United Arab Emirates. Retrieved 30 March 2021.
- "Throwback photos of Sheikh Mohamed Bin Zayed to mark 59th birthday". Gulf News. 11 March 2020. Retrieved 30 March 2021.
- ADL Backgrounder: The Zayed Center Archived 4 April 2004 at the Wayback Machine
- "The Supreme Petroleum Council (SPC)". Abu Dhabi National Oil Company. 25 June 2011. Archived from the original on 27 February 2010. Retrieved 19 April 2013. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Organisational Structure
- Arab League to participate in Holocaust-denial symposium, The Jerusalem Post, 28 August 2002
- The Anti-Defamation League (ADL) Archived 15 January 2013 at the Wayback Machine.