|Raja Permaisuri Agong XIV|
Sultanah of Kedah
Che Puan Besar of Kedah
Sultanah Haminah at an event in Kuala Lumpur.
|Raja Permaisuri Agong|
|Reign||13 December 2011 – 12 December 2016|
|Installation||11 April 2012|
|Predecessor||Sultanah Nur Zahirah|
|Successor||Tunku Azizah Aminah Maimunah Iskandariah|
|Sultanah of Kedah|
|Reign||21 November 2003 – 11 September 2017|
|Installation||9 January 2004|
|Che Puan Besar of Kedah|
|Reign||21 January 2018 – Present|
|Born||15 July 1953|
Kampung Matang Jelutong, Bagan Serai, Perak, Malaya
Sultan Abdul Halim
(m. 1975; died 2017)
|Father||Haji Hamidun Taib|
|Mother||Hajjah Isma Muhammad|
HRH Sultan Salehuddin, the Sultan
HH Tunku Bendahara
HH Toh Puan Bendahara
Che Puan Besar Hajjah Haminah (Jawi: چي ڤوان بسر حاجه همينه; née Haminah binti Hamidun; born 15 July 1953) is the former Sultanah of Kedah and is the widow of Sultan Abdul Halim Mua'dzam Shah. Born a commoner from Bagan Serai, Perak, she married Sultan Abdul Halim on 25 December 1975, and as his second wife, she was styled as Che Puan Kedah. She was crowned Sultanah on 9 January 2004 at the Balai Penghadapan Istana Anak Bukit following the death of Tuanku Bahiyah, the previous Sultanah and first wife of Sultan Abdul Halim. She served as the 14th Raja Permaisuri Agong of Malaysia from 2011 to 2016, during her husband's second term as Yang di-Pertuan Agong, the Malaysian federal head of state. After her husband's death in September 2017, her brother-in-law, Sultan Sallehuddin bestowed the title of Che Puan Besar of Kedah or equivalent to a Dowager Sultanah.
Born on 15 July 1953 in Kampung Matang Jelutong, Bagan Serai, Perak. She is the fourth of seven siblings born to father Haji Hamidun Taib and mother Hajjah Isma Muhammad. Haminah was educated at SK Matang Jelutong and later SM Inggeris Bagan Serai.
On 25 December 1975, at age 23, Haminah married the KDYMM Sultan of Kedah, Sultan Abdul Halim, and became his second wife. She received the title YTM Che Puan Kedah. KDYMM Sultan Abdul Halim's first wife, Tuanku Bahiyah, died on 27 August 2003. On 21 November, YTM Che Puan Haminah was proclaimed Sultanah. Her coronation ceremony took place in the royal town of Anak Bukit on 9 January 2004.
Upon the installation of KDYMM Sultan Abdul Halim as Yang di-Pertuan Agong on 13 December 2011, KDYMM Tuanku Haminah became Raja Permaisuri Agong. Tuanku Haminah is the fourth commoner who become a Raja Permaisuri Agong after YMM Tuanku Bainun binti Mohamad Ali of Perak, YAM Tengku Permaisuri Siti Aishah of Selangor and KDYMM Tuanku Nur Zahirah of Terengganu.
Following the demise of Almarhum Sultan Abdul Halim Mu'adzam Shah on 11 September 2017, she has been formally addressed as Yang Maha Mulia Sultanah Hajjah Haminah during a brief period of time.
On 21 January 2018, in conjunction with the Sultan of Kedah, Sultan Sallehuddin's 76th birthday, she was conferred the title Yang Maha Mulia Che Puan Besar Kedah. She is now formally addressed as YMM Tuanku Hajjah Haminah.
YMM Tuanku Haminah is known to enjoy golf, tennis, badminton, lawn bowling and music. She has participated in various golf tournaments in Kedah and initiated amateur women's golf tournaments such as the Kedah International Red Tee Invitational, as well as being invited as the royal guest for the International Lawn Bowls Mahsuri Cup in Langkawi.
Titles and styles
|Reference style||Her Royal Highness|
|Spoken style||Your Royal Highness|
- 15 July 1953 – 25 December 1975: Cik Haminah binti Hamidun.
- 25 December 1975 – 21 November 2003: Her Highness (Yang Teramat Mulia) Che Puan Haminah binti Haji Hamidun.
- 21 November 2003 – 12 December 2011: Her Royal Highness (Kebawah Duli Yang Maha Mulia) Sultanah Hajjah Haminah binti Haji Hamidun, The Sultanah of Kedah
- 13 December 2011 – 12 December 2016: Her Majesty (Kebawah Duli Yang Maha Mulia Seri Paduka Baginda) Tuanku Hajjah Haminah binti Haji Hamidun, The Raja Permaisuri Agong XIV
- 12 December 2016 – 11 September 2017: Her Royal Highness (Kebawah Duli Yang Maha Mulia) Sultanah Hajjah Haminah binti Haji Hamidun, The Sultanah of Kedah
- 11 September 2017 – 21 January 2018: Her Royal Highness (Yang Maha Mulia) Sultanah Hajjah Haminah binti Haji Hamidun, The Dowager Sultanah of Kedah
- 21 January 2018 – present: Her Royal Highness (Yang Maha Mulia) Che Puan Besar Dato' Seri Utama Hajjah Haminah binti Haji Hamidun, The Che Puan Besar of Kedah
Awards and recognitions
She has been awarded the following honours:
Honours of Kedah
- Member of the Royal Family Order of Kedah (DK, 9 January 2004).
- Member of the Halimi Family Order of Kedah (DKH, 16 July 2008).
- Member of the Supreme Order of Sri Mahawangsa (DMK, 20 January 2017) with title Dato' Seri Utama.
Honours of Malaysia
- Japan: Grand Cordon (Paulownia) of the Order of the Precious Crown (3 October 2012).
- Thailand: Grand Cordon of the Order of Chula Chom Klao (2 September 2013).
Places named after her
Several places were named after her, including:
- Sultanah Haminah Mosque in Pendang, Kedah
- Taman Tuanku Haminah, a residential area in Sungai Petani, Kedah
- Pusat Perdagangan Tuanku Haminah, a trade centre in Alor Setar, Kedah
- Dewan Tuanku Permaisuri Hajah Haminah, Universiti Islam Antarabangsa Sultan Abdul Halim Mu'adzam Shah in Kuala Ketil, Kedah
- Wisma Yayasan Anak anak Yatim Sultanah Haminah in Kedah
- "Che' Puan Kedah is proclaimed KDYMM Sultanah of Kedah". http://www.utusan.com.my/. Utusan Online. Retrieved 28 August 2017. External link in
- Alina Simon (10 January 2004). "New Sultanah of Kedah crowned". New Straits Times. p. 4.
- Adib Povera (13 December 2011). "Grand send-off for KDYMM Sultan of Kedah". New Straits Times. Retrieved 13 December 2011.
- "Che' Puan Haminah dimasyhur Sultanah Kedah". Utusan Malaysia (in Malay). 10 January 2004. Archived from the original on 13 December 2011.
- Embun Majid (2011-12-13). "Queen of the rakyat's heart". The Star. Daulat Tuanku, p. 4.
- The Royal Ark, Kedah genealogical details, p11
- Photo of Sultan Abdul Halim and Sultanah Haminah
- with title:Dato' Seri Utama Thestar
- Photo of Abdul Halim and Haminah, King and Queen of Malaysia (2011-)
- "Semakan Penerima Darjah Kebesaran, Bintang, dan Pingat Persekutuan".
- Article (in Malay) evoking the awarding of decorations
Tuanku Nur Zahirah
(Sultanah of Terengganu)
| Raja Permaisuri Agong
(Queen of Malaysia)
Tunku Azizah Aminah Maimunah Iskandariah
(Tengku Ampuan of Pahang)
|Sultanah of Kedah||Succeeded by|