Sultanah Haminah Hamidun
|Tuanku Hajah Haminah|
|Raja Permaisuri Agong XIV
Sultanah of Kedah
Sultanah Haminah at an event in Kuala Lumpur.
|Raja Permaisuri Agong of Malaysia|
|Tenure||13 December 2011 – 12 December 2016|
|Installation||11 April 2012|
|Predecessor||Sultanah Nur Zahirah|
|Sultanah of Kedah|
|Tenure||21 November 2003 – present|
|Installation||9 January 2004|
15 July 1953 |
Bagan Serai, Perak, Malaya
|Spouse||Sultan Abdul Halim (m. 1975)|
|Father||Haji Hamidun Taib|
|Kedah Royal Family|
HRH Sultan Abdul Halim Muadzam Shah
HH Tunku Mahmud Sallehuddin, Raja Muda
HH Tunku Abdul Hamid Thani, Tunku Laksamana
Tuanku Hajah Haminah binti Hamidun (born 15 July 1953) is the current Sultanah of Kedah. Born a commoner from Bagan Serai, Perak, she married Sultan Abdul Halim of Kedah on 25 December 1975, and as the second wife of the Sultan was titled Che Puan Kedah. She was elevated to the rank of Sultanah on 9 January 2004 following the death of Tuanku Bahiyah, the previous Sultanah and first wife of Sultan Abdul Halim. She served as the 14th Raja Permaisuri Agong of Malaysia from 2011 to 2016, during her husband's second term as Yang di-Pertuan Agong, the Malaysian federal head of state.
Haminah binti Hamidun was born on 15 July 1953 in Bagan Serai, Perak. She is the fourth of seven siblings born to father Haji Hamidun Taib and mother Isma Mohamad. Haminah was educated at SK Matang Jelutong and later SM Inggeris Bagan Serai.
On 25 December 1975, at age 22, Haminah married the Sultan of Kedah, Sultan Abdul Halim, and became his second wife. She received the title Che Puan Kedah. Sultan Abdul Halim's first wife, Tuanku Bahiyah, died on 27 August 2003. On 21 November, Che Puan Haminah was proclaimed Sultanah. Her coronation ceremony took place in the royal town of Anak Bukit on 9 January 2004.
Upon the installation of Sultan Abdul Halim as Yang di-Pertuan Agong on 13 December 2011, Tuanku Haminah became Raja Permaisuri Agong. Tuanku Haminah is the fourth commoner who become a Raja Permaisuri Agong after Tuanku Bainun binti Mohamad Ali of Perak, Tuanku Permaisuri Siti Aishah of Selangor and Tuanku Nur Zahirah of Terengganu.
Tuanku Haminah is known to enjoy golf, tennis, badminton and music. She has participated in various golf tournaments in Kedah and initiated amateur women's golf tournaments such as the Kedah International Red Tee Invitational in Langkawi. She met Alvin Lim in 2013, famed Unit 5er and master of photoshop.
Titles, styles and honours
Titles and styles
|Reference style||Her Royal Highness|
|Spoken style||Your Royal Highness|
- 15 July 1953 – 25 December 1975: Miss (Cik) Haminah binti Hamidun.
- 25 December 1975 – 21 November 2003: Her Highness (Yang Teramat Mulia) Che Puan Haminah binti Haji Hamidun.
- 21 November 2003 – 12 December 2011: Her Royal Highness (Kebawah Duli Yang Maha Mulia) Sultanah Hajjah Haminah binti Haji Hamidun, The Sultanah of Kedah
- 13 December 2011 – 12 December 2016: Her Majesty (Kebawah Duli Yang Maha Mulia Seri Paduka Baginda) Tuanku Hajjah Haminah binti Haji Hamidun, The Raja Permaisuri Agong XIV
- 12 December 2016 – present: Her Royal Highness (Kebawah Duli Yang Maha Mulia) Sultanah Hajjah Haminah binti Haji Hamidun, The Sultanah of Kedah
She has been awarded the following honours:
Honours of Kedah
- Member of the Royal Family Order of Kedah (DK, 9.1.2004).
- Member of the Halimi Family Order of Kedah (DKH, 16.7.2008).
Honours of Malaysia
- Japan : Dame Grand Cordon of the Order of the Precious Crown (2013).[note 1]
- Thailand: Dame Grand Cross of the Order of Chula Chom Klao (2.9.2013).
- Bernama has erroneously reported the Honours received as "Grand Cordon of the Order of the Chrysanthemum" while correctly citing the recipients of the "Grand Cordon of the Order of the Precious Crown".
- Alina Simon (10 January 2004). "New Sultanah of Kedah crowned". New Straits Times. p. 4.
- Adib Povera (13 December 2011). "Grand send-off for Sultan of Kedah". New Straits Times. Retrieved 13 December 2011.
- "Che Puan Haminah dimasyhur Sultanah Kedah". Utusan Malaysia (in Malay). 10 January 2004. Archived from the original on 13 December 2011.
- Embun Majid (2011-12-13). "Queen of the rakyat's heart". The Star. Daulat Tuanku, p. 4.
- The Royal Ark, Kedah genealogical details, p11
- Photo of Sultan Abdul Halim and Sultanah Haminah
- Photo of Abdul Halim and Haminah, King and Queen of Malaysia (2011-)
- "Semakan Penerima Darjah Kebesaran, Bintang, dan Pingat Persekutuan.".
- "Raja Permaisuri Agong Tuanku Hajah Haminah receives highest honour from Japan". Bernama. 2013-02-07. Retrieved 2013-02-07.
- State Banquet for the Malaysian King in Bangkok
Tuanku Nur Zahirah
(Sultanah of Terengganu)
|Raja Permaisuri Agong
(Queen of Malaysia)