9 October 1945
Darjiling, British India
|Died||9 July 2017
Lake Gardens, Kolkata 
|Relatives||Girija Golkunda Sanyal  (father)|
Director Bibhuti Laha (of Agradoot) named her Suchorita for his film Khokhababur Pratyabartan. After that, director Kanak Mukhopadhay decided to make it shorter into Sumita. Famous actress Lila Desai was very much known to Sumita. Lila introduced her to Agradoot. After she got a chance in Khokababur Pratyabartan, she acted in more than 40 films in Bengali, including Sagina Mahato, opposite Dilip Kumar and in the lead role in Kuheli, alongside Biswajit and Sandhya Roy. She also has acted in a number of Hindi films, the most notable of which was Anand in 1970, opposite Amitabh Bachchan. She also acted television serials, professional stage and in group theatre with the notable association with "Ranga Sabha".
- "Anand actress passes away". The Telegraph (Calcutta). Kolkata. 9 July 2017. Retrieved 10 July 2017.
- Adnal, Madhuri (9 July 2017). "Veteran actress Sumita Sanyal passes away at 71". Oneindia. Retrieved 10 July 2017.
- "Sumita Sanyal Biography by Chandi Mukherjee". www.gomolo.in. Archived from the original on 21 July 2011. Retrieved 16 May 2010.
- Valecha, Rohan (9 July 2017). "Veteran actress Sumita Sanyal passes away at the age of 71". The Times of India. Retrieved 10 July 2017.
- "Sumita Sanyal". www.upperstall.com. Retrieved 2008-10-23.
- "Sumita Sanyal Biography". in.movies.yahoo.com. Retrieved 2008-10-23.[permanent dead link]
- "SUMITA SANYAL: Film Database - CITWF". www.citwf.com. Retrieved 2008-10-23.
|This biographical article related to film in India is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|