|Directed by||Carla Simón|
|Produced by||Valérie Delpierre|
|Written by||Carla Simón|
|Music by||Pau Boïgues|
|Edited by||Didac Palou|
|Distributed by||Oscilloscope Laboratories|
|Box office||$1.9 million|
Summer 1993 (Original title: Estiu 1993) is a 2017 Catalan-language Spanish drama film directed and written by Carla Simón. The film premiered in the Generation section at the 67th Berlin International Film Festival, where it won the GWFF Best First Feature Award. It was selected as the Spanish entry for the Best Foreign Language Film at the 90th Academy Awards, but it was not nominated.
In 1993, after her parents die of AIDS, a six-year-old orphaned girl goes to live with her uncle and his family.
- Laia Artigas as Frida
- Paula Blanco as Cesca
- Etna Campillo as Irene
- Bruna Cusí as Marga
- Jordi Figueras as Blai
- David Verdaguer as Esteve
On review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes, the film holds an approval rating of 100% based on 88 reviews, and an average rating of 8.08/10. The website's critical consensus reads, "Summer 1993 (Estiu 1993) finds writer-director Carla Simón drawing on personal memories to create a thoughtful drama elevated by outstanding work from its young leads." On Metacritic, the film has a weighted average score of 81 out of 100, based on 18 critics, indicating "universal acclaim"; it is listed as a "Metacritic must-see".
- List of submissions to the 90th Academy Awards for Best Foreign Language Film
- List of Spanish submissions for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film
- "Verano 1993 (Summer 1993)". The Numbers. Nash Information Services. Retrieved 30 March 2019.
- Holland, Jonathan (11 February 2017). "'Summer 1993' ('Estiu 1993'): Film Review Berlin 2017". The Hollywood Reporter. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved 20 August 2017.
- "Great recognition for EU-supported films at Berlinale 2017". Creative Europe MEDIA. European Commission. 20 February 2017. Retrieved 7 September 2017.
- "Verano 1993, seleccionada para representar a España en los Oscar" (in Spanish). Academia de las Artes y las Ciencias Cinematográficas de España. 7 September 2017. Retrieved 7 September 2017.
- Keslassy, Elsa (7 September 2017). "Spain Sends Carla Simon's feature debut 'Summer 1993' to Foreign-Language Oscar Race". Variety. Penske Business Media. Retrieved 7 September 2017.
- "Summer 1993 (Estiu 1993) (2018)". Rotten Tomatoes. Fandango Media. Retrieved 3 January 2020.
- "Summer 1993 Reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved 1 July 2019.