The Summer Isles from Ben Mòr Coigach
|Population||5 (2001 Census)|
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
Tanera Mòr is the largest island, although it only has a couple of inhabitants. It was formerly home to an Atlantic salmon fish farm, some rental holiday homes, a café and a post office, which operated its own local post and printed its own stamps since 1970 until 2013, but a new set is planned for 2016. The island has no roads, and the only recognisable path goes around the Anchorage, the sheltered bay on the east side of the island. Boats sail to the island from Achiltibuie and Ullapool.
- Bò Bhùiridh
- Bottle Island
- Càrn Deas
- Càrn Iar
- Càrn nan Sgeir
- Eilean a' Chàr
- Eilean Choinaid
- Eilean Dubh
- Eilean Fada Beag
- Eilean Fada Mòr
- Eilean Mullagrach
- Eilean na Saille
- Glas-leac Beag
- Glas-leac Mòr
- Horse Island
- Iolla Mhòr
- Isle Martin
- Isle Ristol
- Meall nan Caorach
- Meall nan Gabhar
- Priest Island (Eilean a' Chlèirich)
- Sgeir an Aon Iomairt
- Sgeir Bhuidhe Mòr
- Sgeir Loisgte
- Sgeir nam Mult
- Sgeir Ribhinn
- Sgeirean Glasa
- Stac Mhic Aonghais
- Tanera Beag
Frank Fraser Darling, an important figure in the development of Scottish conservation, lived on Tanera Mòr for two years in the 1930s. His book, Island Years (published 1940), records his time in the Summer Isles, painting Priest Island as a place of great beauty as well as great wildlife.
Literature and film
- The Summer Isles feature in a novella of the same name by Ian R. MacLeod
- The fictional Summer Isle, Cladach Duillich (Sad Shore), features in the 1977 Desmond Bagley novel "The Enemy".
- The pagan island of "Summerisle" featured in the motion picture The Wicker Man (filmed in 1973 & directed by Robin Hardy) is sometimes mistakenly associated with this archipelago, but in actuality The Wicker Man was filmed around Newton Stewart in Dumfries and Galloway.
Summer Isles Philatelic Bureau
- Campsie, Alison (18 October 2016). "The stunning stamps of the Summer Isles". The Scotsman. Retrieved 26 January 2017.
- "Summer Isles website". Retrieved 15 December 2007.
- "National Scenic Areas" Archived 2017-03-11 at the Wayback Machine. SNH. Retrieved 30 March 2011.
- "Priest Island". RSPB. Archived from the original on 18 October 2008. Retrieved 15 December 2007.
- Steven H Silver. "review of I R MacLeod book". Retrieved 15 December 2007.
- The Wicker Man (1973) filming locations movie-locations.com. Retrieved 1 August 2008.
- "Modern British Local Posts CD Catalogue, 2009 Edition". Phillips. 2003. Archived from the original on 5 September 2008. Retrieved 8 December 2008.
- "The Post Office" Archived 2008-12-02 at the Wayback Machine summer-isles.com. Retrieved 8 December 2008.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Summer Isles.|
- Panorama of the Summer Isles (QuickTime required)