|Single by Nancy Sinatra and Lee Hazlewood|
|from the album Nancy in London|
|Songwriter(s)||Lee Hazlewood, Suzi Jane Hokom|
|Nancy Sinatra singles chronology|
"Summer Wine" is a song written by Lee Hazlewood. It was originally sung by Suzi Jane Hokom and Lee Hazlewood in 1966, but it was made famous by Nancy Sinatra and Lee Hazlewood in 1967. The Nancy & Lee version was originally released on Sinatra's Nancy in London album in late 1966 and later as the B-side of her "Sugar Town" single in December 1966. The song itself became a hit, reaching #49 on Billboard's Hot 100 chart in April 1967. It also reached #14 in Australia. In early 1968 "Summer Wine" was included on Sinatra and Hazlewood's album of duets, Nancy & Lee LP. It was the first of Sinatra and Hazlewood's string hit duets.
In May 2017, retail clothier, H&M, used Nancy & Lee's version in their "The Summer Shop 2017" ad campaign and as a result, the track debuted at #1 on Billboard magazine and Clio's Top TV Commercials chart for May 2017.
Lyrically, "Summer Wine" describes a man, voiced by Hazlewood, who meets a woman, Sinatra, who notices his silver spurs and invites him to have wine with her. After heavy drinking, the man awakens hungover to find his spurs and money have been stolen by the mysterious woman; the subtext of which being they experienced intercourse and as payment she took his "silver spurs, a dollar and a dime". He then declares a longing for more of her "wine". One interpretation is that the man singing the song was seduced by the woman in order to steal his money and belongings. Another interpretation, sometimes cited, is that the song contains an allegorical description of drug use and that the lyric "she reassured me with an unfamiliar line" specifically refers to cocaine though that is anomalous for the apparent period setting.
In 1968 the song was covered by Kela Gates in Spanish with the Peruvian band Los Belkings with the title Néctar de verano. The song was later covered by Demis Roussos with Nancy Boyd, The Corrs featuring Bono of U2, Ultima Thule, Gry with FM Einheit and his Orchestra, Anna Hanski & Lee Hazlewood, Scooter (on the 2000 album Sheffield), Jack Grace and Moimir Papalescu and The Nihilists (with the male and female parts switched). A cover version by Ville Valo & Natalia Avelon, recorded for the soundtrack of Das Wilde Leben, was the 4th best-selling single of 2007 in Germany and was certified Platinum by the BVMI.
An Icelandic cover called Sumarást (Summer love) was released by Hljómsveit Ingimars Eydal in 1968 and by Helgi Björnsson og Ragnhildur Steinunn Jónsdóttir in 2007 for the movie Astrópía.
- "H&M The Summer Shop 2017". youtube.com. Retrieved 2017-06-26.
- "Nancy Sinatra & Lee Hazlewood's 'Summer Wine' Leads Top TV Commercials Chart for May". billboard.com. Retrieved 2017-06-26.
- Quiroz, Mauricio (31 October 2012). "Vico Vega vuelve luego de 24 años - La Razón". La Razón (in Spanish). Retrieved 6 August 2018.
Entre las recopilaciones de otros artistas se encuentra la canción Néctar de verano, interpretada originalmente por la peruana Kela Gates
- "Gold-/Platin-Datenbank (Ville Valo & Natalia Avelon; 'Summer Wine')" (in German). Bundesverband Musikindustrie.
- RocKwiz Archived 2007-05-23 at the Wayback Machine
- "Marie Laforêt EP on Encyclopédisque France". Retrieved March 5, 2018.
- "Guido Belcanto discografie". Retrieved December 26, 2011.
- Sia, Nicole (April 18, 2013). "Watch Lana Del Rey's Video Selfie With Her Boyfriend 'Summer Wine'". SPIN. Retrieved April 19, 2013.