This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Claiborne Fire District station in Summerfield
|- summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
Location of Louisiana in the United States
Summerfield was founded in 1868 by W. R. Kennedy. It soon had four general merchandise and plantation supply stores, drug stores, a sawmill, and a gristmill. After its founding, with a population of 120, there were four churches, including Methodist Episcopal Church, South, Methodist Protestant, Missionary Baptist, and Primitive Baptist. The community was known for its school, good drinking water, and land, often available for as little as $5 per acre.
The community has both Baptist and Methodist churches located off Highway 9. Kenneth Nutt is the pastor of the Southern Baptist Church, first organized in 1881. The Methodist Church, formerly known as Methodist Protestant, dates to 1876
Government and infrastructure
Highways such as LA Hwy 9 and LA Alternate 2 run through Summerfield as well as other rural parish roads.
Media and communications
Summerfield lies in proximity to the Monroe/El Dorado, Arkansas DMA market. Although in the Shreveport market, Monroe channels such as KTVE and KNOE can be received through an over the air antenna. Satellite subscribers receive their media from KTBS and KSLA, the ABC and CBS outlets in Shreveport.
- Graydon K. Kitchens, Sr., lawyer and politician from Minden, taught school for one year at Summerfield in the middle 1920s.
- Karl Malone, Hall of Fame basketball player at Louisiana Tech University, and the Utah Jazz. Malone also holds two Olympic gold medals for basketball.
- William M. Rainach, former member of both houses of the Louisiana State Legislature and candidate for governor of Louisiana in 1959
- "Summerfield Founded 1868 by Kennedy: One of Oldest Towns in Northern Part of Parish", Minden Signal-Tribune in Minden, and Springhill Journal in Springhill, undated 1933 Historical Edition
- "Post Office Location - SUMMERFIELD." United States Postal Service. Retrieved on October 2, 2010.
- "Welcome to Summerfield High School." Claiborne Parish Schools. Retrieved on October 2, 2010.
- Kerry B. Garland, "Fifty Years for Colonel Kitchens", Minden Press-Herald, September 10, 1976, p. 1