First edition cover
|Media type||Print (hardback)|
|Pages||464 (1999 edition)|
The first SUMO was written by German-Australian photographer Helmut Newton. The book is a monograph that showcases his work in fashion and celebrity photography. Featured portraits include Catherine Deneuve, Nicolas Cage and Mickey Rourke. The book is credited with changing the fortunes of Taschen.
It was initially released as a limited edition of 10,000 copies in 1999, selling for $1,500. The first run was numbered and signed by Newton. In keeping with its title, the book weighed over 30 kilograms (66 lb) and measured 50 by 70 centimetres (20 in × 28 in). Due to the size and weight of the book, a bespoke stand was designed by Phillipe Starck to support it. The first copy of the book was signed by 80 of the celebrities featured in it. This was subsequently sold at auction in Berlin on 6 August 2000 for $430,000, becoming the biggest and most expensive book produced in the 20th century.
A subsequent edition, edited by Newton’s widow June, was released in September 2009. Although oversized, it was much smaller, measuring about 12 by 17 inches. This edition came with a perspex stand to display it and retailed for $150.
Other SUMO titles
Other books belonging to the SUMO series include:
- The Rolling Stones
- Annie Leibovitz
- GOAT: GREATEST OF ALL TIME: A TRIBUTE TO MUHAMMAD ALI
- Sebastião Salgado. GENESIS
- David Hockney: A Bigger Book
- TASCHEN. "Glossary", Taschen, Retrieved on 30 May 2017.
- "Benedikt Taschen's Risky Business". Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 1 November 2015.
- "Helmut Newton’s SUMO by Taschen: The Biggest and Most Expensive Book Of The 20th Century" Pursuitist. Retrieved on 30 May 2017.
- "Are luxury photography books recession-proof". The Guardian. Retrieved 1 Nov 2015.
- "Sumo, About". Taschen. Retrieved 1 November 2015.
- Elisabeth Binder: Royale Atmosphäre mit Königin Silvia macht gute Taten zum Genuss - 1,3 Millionen DM kamen zusammen in Tagesspiegel, April 7, 2000. Retrieved on 6 September 2017.
- "David Hockney publishes his sumo-sized “visual autobiography”, A Bigger Book" It’s Nice That. Retrieved on 30 May 2017.
- "13 Stunning Photos Take You Inside David Hockney’s New SUMO Book" Artnet News. Retrieved on 30 May 2017.
- "A bigger splash: 35kg book of David Hockney’s artworks costs £1,750" The Guardian. Retrieved on 30 May 2017.