This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Privately held company|
|Industry||Computer software, Security management, Enterprise software|
|Founder||Kumar Saurabh, Christian Beedgen|
|Headquarters||Redwood City, California, USA|
|Services||Log Management and Intelligence, Log Analysis|
Number of employees
Sumo Logic is a cloud-based Machine data analytics company focusing on security, operations and BI usecases. One of the use cases log management and analytics service that leverages machine-generated big data to deliver real-time IT insights. Headquartered in Redwood City, California, Sumo Logic was founded in April 2010 by ArcSight veterans Kumar Saurabh and Christian Beedgen, and has received funding from Accel Partners, DFJ Growth, Greylock Partners, Institutional Venture Partners, Sequoia Capital, Sutter Hill Ventures and angel investor Shlomo Kramer. While Sumo Logic remained in stealth mode for two years, it unveiled its cloud-based log management platform with Series B funding of $15 million in January 2012. The round of Series E funding announced in June 2015 brings the company’s total venture capital backing to $160.5 million. On June 27 the company closed its Series F round for $75 million and is on path to IPO . As of June 2017, the company has collected VC funding totaling $230 million.
Sumo Logic’s architecture features an elastic petabyte scale platform that collects, manages, and analyzes enterprise log data, reducing millions of log lines into operational and security insights in real time. Their cloud-based approach overcomes the inherent problems of premises-based solutions, including limits on scalability, inefficient or haphazard analysis, and uncontrolled costs.
Sumo Logic is built around a globally distributed data retention architecture that keeps all log data available for instant analysis, eliminating the need for an enterprise to manage the cost and complexity of data archiving, backups and restoration.
The service is entirely cloud-based and is maintenance free. Instead of inelastic security information and event management systems, Sumo Logic employs elastic processing to collect, manage, and analyze log data, regardless of type, volume, or location.
Sumo Logic modeled its approach on that of Google, according to Christian Beedgen, the company’s CTO and one of its co-founders. Using advanced machine-learning algorithms to whittle down mountains of log file data into common groupings, Sumo Logic's platform mirrors Google News's categorization of news stories distributed across the web. In doing so, Sumo Logic is able to ease the process for administrators to synthesize and analyze their data.
In June 2012, Sumo Logic announced Sumo Logic Free, a freemium full functionality edition of its analytical solution that is deployed on Amazon Web Services, and in August 2012, the company announced Sumo Logic for VMware, which allows enterprises to search, visualize and analyze all VMware logs in real time so they can monitor and detect events within VMware virtual environments.
- Kumar Saurabh, Co-Founder & Vice President of Engineering, formerly of ArcSight
- Christian Beedgen, Co-Founder & CTO, formerly of ArcSight
- Bruno Kurtic, Founding Vice President of Product and Strategy, formerly of Sensage
Sumo Logic’s service is powered by patent-pending Elastic Log Processing, LogReduce, and Push Analytics technologies.
Awards and recognition
In January, 2012, RSA named Sumo Logic one of its top 10 finalists for the Most Innovative Company at RSA. At the April 2012 Under the Radar Conference, Sumo Logic received the Judge's Choice and the Audience Choice Awards for Performance Monitoring. In May 2012, Sumo Logic was named a Red Herring Americas 2012 Top 100 Winner.
- Taft, Darryl (January 31, 2012). "Cloud Analytics Startup Sumo Logic Exits Stealth, Raises $15M". EWeek.
- Nicora, Hope (January 31, 2012). "Sumo Logic Raises $15M Series B Round for Next Generation Log Management and Analytics". Market Wired.
- Haskins, Caitlin (June 1, 2015). "Sumo Logic Secures $80 Million Investment to Support Continued Customer Growth and Platform Expansion". Market Wired.
- Miller, Ron (June 27, 2017). "Sumo Logic lands $75 million Series F, on path to IPO". TechCrunch.
- Rao, Leena (January 31, 2012). "Log Data Management And Analytics Startup Sumo Logic Raises $15M From Greylock And Others". TechCrunch.
- Klump, Bill (February 14, 2012). "Disruptor of the Day: Sumo Logic – Harnessing the Power of Big Data for Real-Time IT". Daily Disruption.
- Mitroff, Sarah (January 31, 2012). "Sumo Logic raises $15M, drops its stealthy status". VentureBeat.
- Kepes, Ben (February 21, 2014). "Sumo Logic Delivers Enterprise Security Analytic Product". Forbes.
- Kelly, Jeffrey (January 31, 2012). "Sumo Logic Emerges From Stealth To Take On Splunk, Log Data Analytics". Services Angle.
- Deutscher, Maria (June 26, 2012). "Sumo Logic Goes Freemium with Data Analysis". Silicon Angle.
- Talbot, Chris (August 24, 2012). "Sumo Logic for VMware Digs Deep into Real-Time Insights". TalkinCloud.
- Haskins, Caitlin (December 2, 2014). "Sumo Logic Surpasses All Goals and Hires Industry Veteran Ramin Sayar as CEO to Lead Rapid Growth Phase". Market Wired.
- Hick, Melissa (May 23, 2012). "Sumo Logic Appoints Vance Loiselle as Chief Executive Officer". Market Wired.
- Nicole, Kristen (April 12, 2012). "Sumo Logic Brings Data Rock Stars to Advisory Board". Silicon Angle.
- Fearon, Mike (January 5, 2012). "Top 10 Finalists Announced for the "Most Innovative Company at RSA® Conference 2012" Contest". Business Wire.
- Ryan, Clare (April 26, 2012). "Announcing the Winners of Under the Radar: Consumerization of It". Under the Radar.
- "2012 Red Herring North America: Finalists". Red Herring. 2012.
- Kowall, Jonah (April 30, 2014). "Cool Vendors in Application Performance Monitoring (APM) and IT Operations Analytics (ITOA)". Gartner Blog.