Sumrit Shahi at book launch of Never Kiss Your Best Friend in 2015
12 February 1993 (age 25)|
|Occupation||Novelist, Scriptwriter, Freelance Journalist|
|Education||St. John's High School, SelaQui International School|
|Alma mater||Symbiosis International University|
|Genre||Young adult fiction, Romance|
|Notable works||Just Friends, A lot like love...a li'l like chocolate, Sadda Haq - My Life, My choice|
|Years active||2010 – Present|
Sumrit Shahi is an Indian novelist, screenwriter and motivational speaker. He has written 7 youth based shows, Sadda Haq - My Life, My Choice on Channel V India which won the Youth show (fiction) category at Zee Gold Awards in 2014 and at Indian Telly Awards in 2014 and 2015 ,Million Dollar Girl - From Banaras to Paris also on Channel V India Boyz on Big Magic entertainment, "Twist Waala Love", "Secret Diaries" on Channel V , "BIG F" on MTV, " Pyar Tune Kya Kiya" on Zing to his credit. He also has Ek Veer Ki Ardaas...Veera on Star Plus to his credit.. Apart from that he has written the screenplay for Tu Suraj Mein Saanjh Piya Ki on Star Plus. He has also written the screenplay for a web series called Black Coffee and story for another web series called ‘duck sey dude’ for big originals .
He is the author of three novels, Just Friends, A lot like love...a li'l like chocolate and Never Kiss Your Best Friend. He wrote his first novel Just Friends at the age of 17. In 2015, he was chosen by Hindustan Times in the list of Top 30 under 30 young achievers in the country, terming him as a 'writing rockstar of the young' . His motto in life is "Do your best, God will do the rest."
Sumrit is a TedX speaker. He also delivered talks in leading schools and colleges across the country. Some of them being, IIT Delhi, IIT Bhubaneswar , Narsee Monjee, XIMB, ILS Pune etc.
Sumrit Shahi was born on 12 February 1993 into a family of builders, in Chandigarh, India. He studied till 10th grade at St. John's High School, Chandigarh. He further continued his education at SelaQui International School, Dehradun and finally finished his schooling from Bhavan Vidyalaya, Panchkula. He did his graduation in Liberal Arts from Symbiosis International University, Pune and majored in Media Studies with Film Appreciation and Business Management.. He lives in Mumbai now. And shuttles between his two homes in Mumbai and Chandigarh. While studying for 11th grade at Dehradun he started writing his first novel which was published before he finished high school.
Sumrit Shahi's Just Friends released in 2010 when he was seventeen and still studying in school. The novel was based on his observations of platonic relationships during teenage. It went on to become popular soon after. The novel was seen as a welcome change in the segment of heavy IIT induced literature.
In October 2011, his second novel, A lot like love...a li'l like chocolate was released. In his second novel Sumrit talked about practical relationships. The novel was appreciated for its dark humor and realistic take on the subject of love and relationships in contemporary times.
In the summer of 2012, Sumrit started working as a feature writer for The Daily Post, Chandigarh where he extensively covered celebrities, parties and launches. He also freelanced with India Today as a Business Profile writer, in the following months.
In August 2013, he ventured into television script writing starting with the youth-based show Sadda Haq - My Life, My Choice which airs on Channel V India, earlier he has also written the story for a show on Star Plus called Ek Veer Ki Ardaas...Veera. His third show, also an youth-based show named Million Dollar Girl - From Banaras to Paris too aired on Channel V India. Sumrit wrote his fourth show,"Boyz" for Big Magic Entertainment.
His third novel, Never Kiss Your Best Friend, under "Rupa Publications" released in May 2015. It has recently become a national bestseller. Shahi's novels have had a Hindi translation as well.
- Just Friends (2010)
- A lot like love...a li'l like chocolate (2011)
- Never Kiss Your Best Friend (2015)
- Television shows
- Ek Veer Ki Ardaas...Veera (co-writer Durjoy Datta) (2012 - 2015)
- Sadda Haq - My Life, My Choice (co-writer Durjoy Datta) (2013 - 2016)
- Million Dollar Girl - From Banaras to Paris (co-writer Durjoy Datta) (2014 - 2015)
- Boyz (2015)
- Twist Waala Love (2015)
- Secret Diaries (2016)
- Big F ( 2017)
- Pyar Tune Kya Kiya (2017)
- Tu Suraj Mein Saanjh Piya ki (2018)
- Web series
- Black Coffee (Story screenplay)
- Duck sey Dude (2018)
- "Writers of 12 bestsellers Durjoy and Sumrit write Sadda Haq - The Times of Indiadate = 30 January 2014". indiatimes.com. Retrieved 7 May 2015.
- "List of nominees and winners of 13th Indian Telly Awards, 2014". indiantelevision.com. 9 September 2014. Retrieved 7 May 2015.
- "List of nominees and winners of 14th Indian Telly Awards, 2015". indiantelevision.com. 28 November 2015. Archived from the original on 20 April 2016. Retrieved 6 December 2015.
- February 2012 "It's the write time" Check
|url=value (help). Telegraph India. 19 February 2012.
- "Friends, forever". The Tribune.
- "Top 30 under 30". Hindustan Times/]].
- Smilyo 2014, p. 83.
- "SSLA Student turns National Bestselling Author".
- "The Tale Teller". The Indian Express. 10 July 2012.
- "Author Sumrit Shahi motivates students". tribuneindia.com. 13 May 2015. Retrieved 2 June 2015.
- "Sealed without a kiss!". tribuneindia.com. 12 May 2015. Retrieved 2 June 2015.
- Newznew 11 May 2015
- News Dailypioneer 12 May 2015
- News Aajtak 03 June 2015
- Beyond Originals. "Black Coffee playlist" – via YouTube.