Sun-Yung Alice Chang
|Sun-Yung Alice Chang|
Sun-Yung Alice Chang at Oberwolfach 2009
|Other names||Alice Chang|
|Alma mater||B.S., National Taiwan University, 1970; PhD, University of California, Berkeley, 1974|
|Employer||University of California, Los Angeles 1980, Princeton University 1998-|
|Spouse(s)||Paul C. Yang|
Sun-Yung Alice Chang (1948- ) is a Chinese American mathematician specializing in aspects of mathematical analysis ranging from harmonic analysis and partial differential equations to differential geometry. She is the Eugene Higgins Professor of Mathematics at Princeton University.
Chang was born in Xian, China in 1948. She received her Bachelor of Science degree in 1970 from National Taiwan University, and her doctorate in 1974 from the University of California, Berkeley. At Berkeley, Chang wrote her thesis on the study of bounded analytic functions. Chang became a full professor at UCLA in 1980, moving to Princeton in 1998. 
Career and research
Chang’s research interests include the study of geometric types of nonlinear partial differential equations and problems in isospectral geometry. Working with her husband Paul Yang and others, she produced contributions to differential equations in relation to geometry and topology.
She teaches at Princeton University as of 1998. Before that, she held visiting positions at University of California-Berkeley; Institute for Advanced Study, Princeton, N.J.; and Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Zurich, Switzerland. She will be serving at Swiss Federal Institute of Technology as visiting professor in 2015.
Service and honors
- Sloan Foundation Research Fellowship, 1979–1981
- Invited Speaker at the International Congress of Mathematicians in Berkeley, 1986 
- Vice president of the American Mathematical Society, 1989-1991
- Ruth Lyttle Satter Prize in Mathematics of the American Mathematical Society, 1995 
- Guggenheim Fellowship, 1998 
- Plenary Speaker at the International Congress of Mathematicians in Beijing, 2002
- Member, American Academy of Arts and Sciences, 2008 
- Fellow, National Academy of Sciences, 2009 
- Chang, Sun-Yung A.; Yang, Paul C. Conformal deformation of metrics on . J. Differential Geom. 27 (1988), no. 2, 259–296.
- Chang, Sun-Yung Alice; Yang, Paul C. Prescribing Gaussian curvature on . Acta Math. 159 (1987), no. 3-4, 215–259.
- Chang, Sun-Yung A.; Yang, Paul C. Extremal metrics of zeta function determinants on 4-manifolds. Ann. of Math. (2) 142 (1995), no. 1, 171–212.
- Chang, Sun-Yung A.; Gursky, Matthew J.; Yang, Paul C. The scalar curvature equation on 2- and 3-spheres. Calc. Var. Partial Differential Equations 1 (1993), no. 2, 205–229.
- Chang, Sun-Yung A.; Gursky, Matthew J.; Yang, Paul C. An equation of Monge-Ampère type in conformal geometry, and four-manifolds of positive Ricci curvature. Ann. of Math. (2) 155 (2002), no. 3, 709–787.
- Chang, S.-Y. A.; Wilson, J. M.; Wolff, T. H. Some weighted norm inequalities concerning the Schrödinger operators. Comment. Math. Helv. 60 (1985), no. 2, 217–246.
- Carleson, Lennart; Chang, Sun-Yung A. On the existence of an extremal function for an inequality of J. Moser. Bull. Sci. Math. (2) 110 (1986), no. 2, 113–127.
- Chang, Sun-Yung A.; Fefferman, Robert Some recent developments in Fourier analysis and -theory on product domains. Bull. Amer. Math. Soc. (N.S.) 12 (1985), no. 1, 1–43.
- Chang, Sun-Yung A.; Fefferman, Robert A continuous version of duality of with BMO on the bidisc. Ann. of Math. (2) 112 (1980), no. 1, 179–201.
- O'Connor, John J.; Robertson, Edmund F., "Sun-Yung Alice Chang", MacTutor History of Mathematics archive, University of St Andrews.
- "Sun-Yung Alice Chang". Faculty Profiles. Princeton University. Retrieved 23 February 2014.
- "List of guests". Swiss Federal Institute of Technology. Retrieved 23 February 2014.
- Oakes, Elizabeth H. (2002). International encyclopedia of women scientists. New York, NY: Facts on File. p. 58. ISBN 0816043817.
- "Sun-Yung Alice Chang". Guggenheim Foundation. Retrieved 23 February 2014.
- "Plenary Speakers". International Congress of Mathematics. Retrieved 23 February 2014.
- "Members of the American Academy of Arts & Sciences: 1780-2013" (PDF). American Academy of Arts and Sciences. Retrieved 23 February 2014.
- "Sun-Yung Alice Chang". National Academy of Sciences. Retrieved 23 February 2014.
- Leong, Y K. "An Interview with Sun-Yung Alice Chang" (PDF). Asia Pacific Mathematics Newsletter.