|Sun Giant EP|
|Released||April 8, 2008|
|Recorded||Bear Creek Studios, Woodinville, Washington; Stuart Hollerman's Avasti Studio; Fleet Foxes' house|
|Label||Bella Union |
|Fleet Foxes chronology|
|Singles from Fleet Foxes|
Sun Giant is the second EP by Seattle-based indie folk band Fleet Foxes. It was released on April 8, 2008, on Bella Union and Sub Pop. The EP was named the #1 album of the year by Pitchfork Media in conjunction with their debut LP, Fleet Foxes.
While the EP was released prior to their debut album, Fleet Foxes, the songs on Sun Giant were recorded after those that feature on their full-length album. The band stated that the EP was pressed so that they had something to sell on tour, and clarified that the music was not indicative of their ambitions. Sun Giant was in fact originally intended to be a tour only release, but demand from fans led to its official release.
All tracks written by Robin Pecknold.
|2.||"Drops in the River"||4:13|
The liner notes state that: "We all played many an instrument. An itemized and individualized list would be egotistical and tiresome"
- Robin Pecknold - [lead] vocals, various instruments [uncredited: guitar]
- Skyler Skjelset - various instruments [uncredited: lead guitar, mandolin, vocals]
- Casey Wescott - various instruments [uncredited: piano, keyboards, vocals]
- Christian Wargo - various instruments [uncredited: bass, guitar, vocals]
- Nicholas Peterson - various instruments [uncredited: drums, percussion, vocals]
- Phil Ek - producer, engineer, mixing
- Ed Brooks - mastering
|Drowned in Sound||(8/10)|
Billboard said that the EP featured "harmony-rich songs more in keeping with Crosby, Stills & Nash, a welcome turn away from the agitated dance-rock still so prominent in the indie world." Rolling Stone gave the EP three-out-of-four stars, and said that "with ramshackle rising-and-falling guitars, CSNY-style harmonies and the occasional mandolin plink, this five-track EP will make you pine for summer in the country," although the magazine said their song-writing was a bit thin.
- "The 50 Best Albums of 2008". Pitchfork Media. 2008-12-19. Retrieved 2008-12-21.
- Gill, Andy (2008-04-25). "Album: Fleet Foxes, Sun Giant (Bella Union)". The Independent. Retrieved 2009-01-25.
- "Interview With Fleet Foxes A&R Sue Busch", HitQuarters, 4 May 2009.
- Sun Giant liner notes
- allmusic review
- Drowned in Sound review
- The Independent review
- Pitchfork Media review
- Christgau, Robert. "Fleet Foxes". Retrieved 12 April 2012.
- Endelman, Michael (April 17, 2008), "Sun Giant EP". Rolling Stone (1050):65
- Cohen, Jonathan (April 12, 2008), "Sun Giant". Billboard. 120 (15):42