Sun Is Shining
|"Sun Is Shining"|
|Song by Bob Marley and the Wailers from the album Kaya|
|Label||Tuff Gong Island|
|Kaya track listing|
"Sun Is Shining" is a song by Bob Marley & The Wailers first appearing on the Lee Perry-produced album Soul Revolution in 1971, and then on African Herbsman in 1973. Marley later re-recorded the song for his 1978 album Kaya. In 1999 a reggae fusion remix by "Bob Marley vs. Funkstar De Luxe" reached number one on the U.S. dance chart and number three on the UK Singles Chart and has been widely credited as one of the songs which led to the popularity of reggae fusion.
Although having become one of the most popular Marley songs, "Sun Is Shining" used to be a fairly unknown and seldomly-performed number during Marley's lifetime. Up to date, only two live performances are documented, however both took place under special circumstances. On June 16, 1978, Marley performed at The Music Inn in Lenox, Massachusetts, a concert having been rescheduled twice since 1976, and played an over 2-hour set. "Sun Is Shining" was the opening song, reportedly included spontaneously as it stopped to rain. On July 23, 1978, Marley performed an outdoor concert at the Santa Barbara Bowl that included "Sun Is Shining" as opening song; just before the song, Marley introduced the performance by referring to Haile Selassie's birthday on the same day.
The song "Sunday Shining" by Finley Quaye is partially based on the song.
Bob Marley vs. Funkstar De Luxe version
|"Sun Is Shining"|
|Single by Bob Marley vs. Funkstar De Luxe|
|from the album Keep on Moving (It's Too Funky in Here)|
|Released||September 13, 1999|
|Genre||Reggae fusion, house, electronica|
|Producer(s)||Funkstar De Luxe|
The song was remixed in 1999 by Danish house producer Funkstar De Luxe. It was released on the Kontor Records-sub label, Club Tools credited to Bob Marley vs. Funkstar De Luxe. The producer was the first to receive clearance from the Marley estate to release official remixes of the late singer's music (although bootleg mixes of Marley tunes have circulated in the club world for years).
- "Sun Is Shining" (Radio De Luxe Edit) - 3:59
- "Sun Is Shining" (ATB Airplay Mix) - 3:48
- "Sun Is Shining" (Rainbow Mix) - 6:03
- "Sun Is Shining" (ATB Club Mix) - 6:55
- "Sun Is Shining" (Funkstar Club Mix) - 8:14
|Austria (Ö3 Austria Top 40)||23|
|Belgium (Ultratop 50 Flanders)||7|
|Belgium (Ultratop 50 Wallonia)||10|
|Canada Dance (RPM)||1|
|Canada Top Singles (RPM)||28|
|Europe (Eurochart Hot 100)||6|
|Finland (Suomen virallinen lista)||8|
|Germany (Official German Charts)||19|
|Netherlands (Dutch Top 40)||7|
|New Zealand (Recorded Music NZ)||11|
|Switzerland (Schweizer Hitparade)||7|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||3|
|US Hot Dance Club Play (Billboard)||1|
"Love Is the Healer" by Donna Summer
|Billboard Hot Dance Club Play number-one single (Bob Marley vs. Funkstar De Luxe version)
November 20, 1999 – November 27, 1999
"New York City Boy" by Pet Shop Boys
- "Australian-charts.com – Bob Marley vs. Funkstar De Luxe – Sun Is Shining". ARIA Top 50 Singles.
- "Austriancharts.at – Bob Marley vs. Funkstar De Luxe – Sun Is Shining" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40.
- "Ultratop.be – Bob Marley vs. Funkstar De Luxe – Sun Is Shining" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50.
- "Ultratop.be – Bob Marley vs. Funkstar De Luxe – Sun Is Shining" (in French). Ultratop 50.
- RPM: issue date January 10, 2000
- Canadian Top Singles peak
- "DENMARK ( TOP 10 )". IFPI. Eucharts.tripod.com. Retrieved 2010-11-29.
- Eurochart peak
- "Bob Marley vs. Funkstar De Luxe: Sun Is Shining" (in Finnish). Musiikkituottajat – IFPI Finland.
- "Lescharts.com – Bob Marley vs. Funkstar De Luxe – Sun Is Shining" (in French). Les classement single.
- "Musicline.de – Bob Marley vs. Funkstar De Luxe Single-Chartverfolgung" (in German). Media Control Charts. PhonoNet GmbH.
- "The Irish Charts - All there is to know". Irish Recorded Music Association. Irishcharts.ie. Retrieved 29 November 2010.
- "Hits of the World: Italy (Musica e Dischi/FIMI) 12/06/99". Billboard (Nielsen Business Media) 111 (51): 70. 18 December 1999. ISSN 0006-2510.
- "Nederlandse Top 40 – Bob Marley vs. Funkstar De Luxe search results" (in Dutch) Dutch Top 40.
- "Charts.org.nz – Bob Marley vs. Funkstar De Luxe – Sun Is Shining". Top 40 Singles.
- "Norwegiancharts.com – Bob Marley vs. Funkstar De Luxe – Sun Is Shining". VG-lista.
- "Hits of the World: Spain (AFYVE/ALEF MB) 12/06/99". Billboard (Nielsen Business Media) 111 (48): 61. 27 November 1999. ISSN 0006-2510.
- "Swedishcharts.com – Bob Marley vs. Funkstar De Luxe – Sun Is Shining". Singles Top 100.
- "Swisscharts.com – Bob Marley vs. Funkstar De Luxe – Sun Is Shining". Swiss Singles Chart.
- "Bob Marley Vs Funkstar De Luxe: Artist Chart History" Official Charts Company.
|This 1970s single–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|