Sun Modular Datacenter
Sun Modular Datacenter (Sun MD, known in the prototype phase as Project Blackbox) is a portable data center built into a standard 20-foot intermodal container (shipping container) manufactured and marketed by Sun Microsystems (acquired in 2010 by Oracle Corporation). An external chiller and power were required for the operation of a Sun MD. A data center of up to 280 servers could be rapidly deployed by shipping the container in a regular way to locations that might not be suitable for a building or another structure, and connecting it to the required infrastructure. Sun stated that the system could be made operational for 1% of the cost of building a traditional data center.
In March 2009, the Internet Archive migrated its digital archive into a Sun MD, hosted at Sun's Santa Clara headquarters campus, a realization of a paper written by Archive employees in late 2003 proposing "an outdoor petabyte JBOD NAS box" of sufficient capacity to store the then-current Archive in a 40' shipping container.
- "Sun Modular Datacenter S20 - Technical Specifications". 2008-05-27. Archived from the original on February 26, 2009. Retrieved 2013-06-08.CS1 maint: unfit url (link)
- M. Mitchell Waldrop - "Data Center In a Box", Scientific American, August 2007
- "Sun Unveils The Future of Virtualized Datacenters – Project Blackbox" (Press release). Sun Microsystems, Inc. 2006-10-17. Archived from the original on March 1, 2007. Retrieved 2013-06-08.CS1 maint: unfit url (link)
- "Sun Modular Datacenter Fuels Momentum With New Customer Wins In Manufacturing, Healthcare, HPC And Telco". Sun Microsystems. 2008-01-29. Archived from the original on February 1, 2008. Retrieved 2013-06-08.CS1 maint: unfit url (link)
- "Sun Project Blackbox". TOP500 Supercomputing Sites. TOP500.org. June 2007. Archived from the original on 2008-08-03. Retrieved 2013-06-08.
- "SLAC Prepares for First Blackbox to Expand Computing Power". SLAC Today. 2007-06-20.
- "SLAC's Newest Computing Center Arrives... by Truck". SLAC Today. 2007-07-25.
- Rich Miller (2008-01-29). "Sun Rebrands Blackbox as 'Sun MD'". Data Center Knowledge. IDG TechNetwork. Archived from the original on 2008-06-05. Retrieved 2013-06-08.
- "Internet Archive and Sun Microsystems Create Living History of the Internet". Sun Microsystems. 2009-03-25. Archived from the original on March 26, 2009. Retrieved 2013-06-08.CS1 maint: unfit url (link)
- Bruce Baumgart; Matt Laue (2003-11-08). "Petabyte Box for Internet Archive" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2013-09-14. Retrieved 2013-06-08. Cite journal requires
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sun Modular Datacenter.|