Sun TV (India)
|Launched||14 April 1993
11 December 2011 (HD)
|Network||Sun TV Network|
|Picture format||576i (SD)
South East Asia
Sub Saharan Africa
|Headquarters||Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India|
|Sister channel(s)||Sun News
|Channel 702 (HD)
Channel 90 (HD)
Channel 552 (HD)
|Airtel digital TV
Channel 490 (HD)
|Reliance Digital TV
Channel 960 (HD)
|OSN (Middle East
& North Africa)
|Asianet Digital TV
(Andhra pradesh, India)
Sun TV is a Tamil satellite television station. It is the flagship channel of the Chennai-based Sun TV Network. It was founded and is owned by Kalanidhi Maran. Sun TV launched its HD version on 11 December 2011. As of October 2015, Sun TV was the most viewed entertainment channel in India.
Sun TV is the first and flagship channel of Sun Group started on 14 April 1993. Sun TV was listed on the Bombay Stock Exchange on 24 April 2006 upon raising $133 million. It is the most viewed Tamil television channel in the world with syndicated broadcasts in several countries such as the United Kingdom, United States and Canada.
The channel broadcasts a variety of shows including soap operas, game shows, newscasts and shows of general entertainment. Popular shows included Chithi, Alaigal, Metti Oli, Anandham, Kolangal, Idhayam, Thirumathi Selvam and Thendral. Sun TV also hosts numerous film-industry–related events in Tamil Nadu and the Sun Kudumbam Awards ceremony annually.
- "Sun Tv network". Economic Times. Retrieved 28 November 2015.
- Menon, Jaya (8 November 2005). "Karunanidhi wife pulls out stake in Sun TV". The Indian Express.
- "Sun TV HD launched". bseindia.com. Retrieved 28 November 2015.
- "BARC week 41: Sun TV is No 1 channel on All India basis". IndianTelevision.com. 23 October 2015.
- "Sun TV history". Economic Times. Retrieved 28 November 2015.
- Menon, Jaya (8 November 2005). "Karunanidhi pulls out stake in Sun TV". The Indian Express.
- Karmali, Naazneen (30 November 2009). "Strong Signal". Forbes. Retrieved 8 August 2010.
- "Rediff India Abroad, April 28, 2006 – Kalanithi Maran: A 'Sunshine' story, by Sanjiv Shankaran and S. Bridget Leena in New Delhi". Rediff.com. Retrieved 24 January 2012.
- Bharatan, Shilpa (27 March 2006). "Variety.com, Monday, April 24, 2006, 6:36pm PT – Sun TV shines on Exchange". Variety. Retrieved 24 January 2012.
- Ram, Arun (7 November 2005). "Karunanidhis pull out of Sun TV". Daily News and Analysis.
- Sharma, Kishore (8 November 2005). "Karunanidhi pull out of Sun TV". Televisionpoint.com.