This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The name of the award comes from the title of the first novel by Phyllis Gotlieb, Sunburst (1964).
The first award was given out in 2001. The award consists of a cash prize ($1,000 Canadian for novel length work, and $500 Canadian for short stories) and a medallion. The winner is selected by jury; a new jury is struck each year.
List of past award winners
|2002||Margaret Sweatman||When Alice Lay Down with Peter|
|2003||Nalo Hopkinson||Skin Folk|
|2004||Cory Doctorow||A Place So Foreign and 8 More|
|2006||Holly Phillips||In the Palace of Repose|
|2007||Mark Frutkin||Fabrizio's Return|
|2008||Adult: Nalo Hopkinson
Young adult: Joanne Proulx
|The New Moon's Arms|
Anthem of a Reluctant Prophet
|2009||Adult: Andrew Davidson
Young adult: Cory Doctorow
|2010||Adult: A. M. Dellamonica
Young adult: Hiromi Goto
|2011||Adult: Guy Gavriel Kay
Young adult: Paul Glennon
|2012||Adult: Geoff Ryman
Young adult: Catherine Austen
All Good Children
|2013||Adult: Martine Desjardins
Young adult: Rachel Hartman
|2014||Adult: Ruth Ozeki
Young adult: Charles de Lint
|A Tale for the Time Being|
The Cats of Tanglewood Forest
|2015||Adult: Thomas King
Young adult: Cecil Castellucci
|The Back of the Turtle|
|2016||Adult: Gemma Files
Young adult: Leah Bobet
Short Story: Catherine A. MacLeod
An Inheritance of Ashes
Hide and Seek
|2017||Adult: Claire Humphrey
Young adult: Jonathan Auxier
Short Story: A.C. Wise
|Spells of Blood and Kin |
Sophie Quire and the Last Storyguard
The Sailing of the Henry Charles Morgan in Six Pieces of Scrimshaw (1841)
|2018||Adult: David Demchuk
Young adult: Cherie Dimaline
Short Story: Sandra Kasturi
|The Bone Mother |
The Marrow Thieves
The Beautiful Gears of Dying
Lists of nominees
For a complete and up to date listing of current and past long-listed and short-listed works, please see the Sunburst Award Website.
The Sunburst Award administration and juries use the broadest possible definition of speculative fiction for eligibility purposes: "science fiction, fantasy, magic realism, horror, surrealism, fantastique, fabulism, myth and legend, fantastical storytelling, and any other writing beyond the strictly realistic". To be eligible for the award, a work must be published between January 1 and December 31 of the previous year. Only Canadian citizens and landed immigrants are eligible.
- "2008 Sunburst Award Winners | The Sunburst Award Society". www.sunburstaward.org. Retrieved 2015-10-05.
- "2009 Winners | The Sunburst Award Society". www.sunburstaward.org. Retrieved 2015-10-05.
- Strock, Ian Randall (September 15, 2011). "2011 Sunburst Award Winners". SFScope.com. Archived from the original on September 18, 2011. Retrieved September 18, 2011.
- "2014 Sunburst Winners". The Sunburst Award Society.
- Publications, Locus. "Locus Online News » 2015 Sunburst Awards Winners". www.locusmag.com. Retrieved 2015-10-05.
- Publications, Locus. "Locus Online News » 2016 Sunburst Awards Winners". www.locusmag.com. Retrieved 2017-06-08.