Sunbury Court Island
Sunbury Court Island is a long pedestrianised residential island of houses and bungalows in the River Thames in England on the 'Sunbury and Hampton' or 'Molesey' reach, above Molesey Lock in Sunbury-on-Thames, Surrey, England.
Landscape and architecture
The island is linked to the eastern part of the developed riverside of Sunbury on the left, 'Middlesex', bank of the river. The island is pedestrianised and residential comprising 25 houses and bungalows in typically garden or patio plots with equal or smaller footprint to those homes. It is connected to a narrow point between homes on the bank by a flat iron footbridge with criss-crossed decorative railings surmounted by an ornamental Italianate square tower, pictured right.
From the bridge entrance the non-listed south wall, rather than railings, and entrance drive of Sunbury Court. Also visible are the higher part of the neo-classical conference centre in a grand former home, Sunbury Court, which is an international headquarters of the Salvation Army movement, Grade II* listed and dates to 1723 with later improvements and outbuildings, mainly of the present century. Rivermead Island, a park, is approximately 20 metres upstream. Sunbury Cricket Club is approximately 300 metres downstream set away from the river.
Level of flood risk
The island is as with most Thames-side properties in the highest category of risk identified by the Environment Agency, which means:
- The Island is assessed as having a 1 in 100 or greater annual probability of river flooding.
- The Agency will issue to individual residents flood warning alerts.
International headline-reported flooding of non-tidal stretches of the Thames took place during the 2013–2014 United Kingdom winter floods, forming its greatest single area of economic impact. Flooding reached waist depth across the island path on 7 January 2014 when a small number of residents were rescued by a large team of local emergency services called to the island's help. By 8 February 2014, approximately half of homes had been chosen to be evacuated by Fire and Rescue Services.
- Interactive Maps Surrey County Council. Accessed 2015-04-15
- Historic England. "Details from listed building database (1180231)". National Heritage List for England.
- Thacker, Fred S (1968) [First published 1920]. The Thames Highway: Volume II Locks and Weirs (New impression, 1st. ed.). Newton Abbot: David & Charles. ISBN 978-0-7153-4233-6. OCLC 55209571.
- Risk Map Environment Agency. 20 April 2015
- "Rising river prompts Sunbury Court Island evacuations" 8 February 2014. BBC News.
- Firefighters Use Boat to Reach Elderly Lady..." 'Get Surrey', website of the Surrey Advertiser and Herald Group of newspapers. Accessed 2015-04-20.
|Next island upstream||River Thames||Next island downstream|
|Rivermead Island||Sunbury Court Island||Grand Junction Isle|