Suncrest is a small unincorporated community in Stevens County, Washington, United States, about 9.7 miles northwest of the city of Spokane, of which it is a suburb. The community has experienced rapid growth during the 2000s; new "gated community" style development has focused on large lot size, small community, and proximity to the area's rural recreational opportunities.
Houses are located along the eastern shore of Long Lake, appros 9.7 miles northwest of Spokane and about 5 miles northwest of central Nine Mile Falls, the next nearest population center. The main road through Suncrest is State Highway 291.
Suncrest is a commercial center for nearby rural residents. The community includes the Suncrest Shopping Center, Suncrest Outpost and a medical and dental center. Growth has been very rapid during the years of 2009-2010, with over 20 new businesses opened in the community during that period.
Suncrest is served by the Nine Mile Falls School District, with three public schools located in the community:
- Lake Spokane Elementary
- Lakeside Middle School
- Lakeside High School
The Stevens County Rural Library District has been a part of Suncrest since 1996. The Lakeside branch, located in Suncrest, is one of the District's larger branches. Services of SCRLD include books, movies, CDs and tapes, free Internet access, printing and copying, etc. As such, the library provides a vital resource for a wide range of users, including farmers, loggers, homeschool parents and distance education students, who view the library as "their community hub, their reference source, their connection to the Internet, their bus stop, their office, their living room even."
This area is popular with equestrians, with many back trails for horses and bicycles. In addition, the proximity of the community to Long Lake makes it a popular for various types of water sports, including boating and fishing. Some planned developments in the area offer residents free membership in one of the community's private recreational clubs.
- "Suncrest". July 30, 2008. Retrieved March 26, 2010.[dead link]
- Pia Hallenberg (November 19, 2009). "Park planned near Long Lake". The Spokesman-Review. Retrieved March 26, 2010.
- "Lake Shore Estates, Location and Map". Retrieved March 26, 2010.
- "Developing Business In the Suncrest Area". Lake Spokane Outpost. March 24, 2010. Retrieved March 26, 2010.[permanent dead link]
- "Stevens Country Fire District". Retrieved March 26, 2010.
- "Features: Blood Bank". The Spokesman-Review. January 25, 2010. Retrieved March 26, 2010.
- "Stevens Country Fire District 1 Newsletter" (PDF). November 2007. Retrieved March 26, 2010.[permanent dead link]
- "Rural Improvement: Amanda McKeraghan, Stevens County Rural Library District". Library Journal. March 15, 2008. Archived from the original on March 24, 2011. Retrieved October 4, 2010.
- "Hunting & Fishing". The Spokesman-Review. July 17, 2009. Retrieved March 26, 2010.
- "Suncrest Park Association". Retrieved March 26, 2010.