Vinayagar Sundar Vel
21 January 1968
|Years active||1995 – present|
|Known for||Founder of Avni Cinemax|
Sundar. C is a Tamil film director and actor. He has directed over 16 films in Tamil and acted in over 9 movies as the protagonist. Initially, he worked as an assistant director to Manivannan. His notable films include Ullathai Allitha (1996), Arunachalam (1997), Anbe Sivam (2003), Winner (2003), Giri (2004), Kalakalappu (2012), Theeya Velai Seiyyanum Kumaru (2013), Aranmanai (2014) and Kalakalappu 2 (2018).
He is celebrated as the king of comedy movies by Tamil Cinema viewers. He took a short break from direction after his initial launch as an actor in 2006 with the film Thalai Nagaram which was a commercial failure. He returned to direction with his trade mark comedy roller coaster in the movie Kalakalappu in 2012 and it went on to become a moderate success.
He also produced the TV series Nandini along with his wife, actress Kushboo aired on Sun TV. He is a pioneer in television industry to produce a TV Series in 4 languages: Tamil, Telugu, Malayalam and Kannada, simultaneously. The show has been praised and well received by audience, becoming a huge success and India's most watched television series in a matter of weeks since it first aired. He also produced movies like Hello Naan Pei Pesuren, Muthina Kathirika and Meesaya Murukku. Sundar C is one of the few directors who directed the two Super Stars of Tamil Cinema, Rajinikanth and Kamal Haasan in Arunachalam (1997) and Anbe Sivam (2003), respectively.
Sundar C started his career as an assistant director to Manivannan and made his directorial debut with Murai Maman (1995). Sundar revealed that he initially wanted a leading action hero to play the lead role in his film and approached Sarathkumar, but the producer was unavailable to sign the actor. Subsequently, the director chose Jayaram to play the lead role in the film and also said that he tapped into his innate sense of humour, as Jayaram was very famous for his humour in Malayalam. Murai Maaman did well at the box office and Sundar went on to direct many humour themed films such as Ullathai Allitha (1996), Mettukudi (1996) and Unakkaga Ellam Unakkaga (1999). In 1997, he directed his highest-profile project till date, Arunachalam, with Rajinikanth. He has also occasionally directed action and thriller films such as Unnai Kann Theduthey (2000), Rishi (2001) and Chinna (2005). His favourite heroine was actress Rambha; as a Director he made her as his lead heroine in his 6 movies.
In 2003, he directed two films Winner and Anbe Sivam. The former was successful and the comedy scenes from that film became hugely popular. However, the latter, despite being critically acclaimed, under performed at the box office, but became a cult classic. Anbe Sivam remains his only humane realism movie till today out of his regular commercial cinema genre. After directing Rendu (2006), Sundar took a break from directing in order to concentrate on his acting career. He made his acting debut as lead actor with Thalai Nagaram (2006), which was well received. Then he went on to play lead roles with the commercially successful Veerappu, directed by Badri and Sandai by Sakthi Chidambaram. He then made a comeback as a director with Nagaram Marupakkam (2010).
After his blockbuster hit Kalakalappu in 2012, he is continuously giving successful movies like Theeya Velai Seiyyanum Kumaru, Aranmanai, Aambala, Aranmanai 2 and Kalakalappu 2. Out of which Aranmanai and Aranmanai 2 are the trend setters in Comedy Horror genre in Tamil film industry.
As an Actor
|1995||Murai Maman||Cameo appearance|||
|2006||Thalai Nagaram||Subramaniam (Right)|||
|Aayudham Seivom||Saidai Sathya|||
|Thee||ACP Sarathy (Samy)|||
As a director and writer
As a Singer
|2008||Sandai||"Vaadee En Kappakezhungu"||Dhina|
|2010||Guru Sishyan||"Subbaiyaa Subbaiyaa"||Sung with Sathyaraj|
As a Producer
As a TV Series Producer
- "Sundar C, profile". Cinemaprofile.com. Retrieved 29 December 2015.
- "Films of Sundar C". Screenindia.com. Retrieved 8 May 2010.
- "Sundar C. is on a roll". The Hindu. Chennai, India. 2 October 2007. Retrieved 8 May 2010.
- "Hat trick?". The Hindu. Chennai, India. 28 March 2008.
- "Another fantasy serial- Nandhini on Gemini Tv".
- "Nandini serial Ratings". barcindia.co.in.
- BehindwoodsTV (18 September 2015). "Sundar C - "Rajini said NO to that song!" - BOFTA Masterclass - BW" – via YouTube.
- "UNNAI KANN THEDUTHEY : A movie review by Balaji Balasubramaniam". Bbthots.com. Retrieved 23 August 2017.
- "Chinna review. Chinna Tamil movie review, story, rating". IndiaGlitz.com. Retrieved 23 August 2017.
- "The Hindu : Anbe Sivam". Thehindu.com. Retrieved 23 August 2017.
- "Murai Maman Tamil Movie - Critic Review". Moviecrow.com. Retrieved 23 August 2017.
- "Arunachalam Tamil Movie, Wiki, Story, Review, Release Date, Trailers". FilmiBeat.com. Retrieved 23 August 2017.
- "Movie Review : Thalainagaram". Sify.com. Retrieved 23 September 2013.
- "Veerappu Review". Behindwoods.com. 26 November 2006. Retrieved 23 September 2013.
- "Review: Sandai is illogical". Rediff.com. 24 March 2008. Retrieved 23 September 2013.
- "Aayudham Seivom Tamil Movie Review". IndiaGlitz.com. 30 June 2008. Retrieved 23 September 2013.
- "Perumal Movie Review". Behindwoods.com. Retrieved 23 September 2013.
- "Movie Review : Review -Thee". Sify.com. Retrieved 23 September 2013.
- "Aindham Padai is below average". Rediff.com. 27 July 2009. Retrieved 23 September 2013.
- "Cinema Plus / Film Review : Viewer's woes – Guru Sishyan". The Hindu. Chennai, India. 14 May 2010. Retrieved 23 September 2013.
- "What's special in 'Vaada'?". IndiaGlitz.com. 3 April 2010. Retrieved 23 September 2013.
- "Nagaram Marupakkam Review – Tamil Movie Review by V.S. Rajapur". Nowrunning.com. 20 November 2010. Retrieved 23 September 2013.
- "Movie Review : Murattu Kaalai". Sify.com. Retrieved 23 September 2013.
- "Ninaithathu Yaro Movie Reviews, Stills & Wallpapers - Sulekha Movies". Movies.suleka.com. Retrieved 23 August 2017.
- "Aranmanai (2014)". IMDb.com. Retrieved 23 August 2017.
- "Aranmanai 2". Cineplex.com. Retrieved 23 August 2017.
- "Muthina Kathirikai review. Muthina Kathirikai Tamil movie review, story, rating". IndiaGlitz.com. Retrieved 23 August 2017.