This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Occupation||Founder & MD of Sun Group International|
|Spouse(s)||Syama Sundar Menon|
|Parent(s)||M.C.S. Menon, Jaya Menon|
T. A. Sundar Menon (Thekke Adiyat Sundar Menon) is an Indian entrepreneur and philanthropist based in Qatar. He is the founder and CEO of Sun Group International. Menon is known for his various philanthropic and socio-economic activities within Kerala and among the migrant workforce in the Middle East. He was awarded Padmashri the fourth highest civilian award, by the Government of India in 2016.
Life and work
Menon was born in Thrissur, Kerala, India. He was born to M.C.S. Menon, a retired Assistant General Manager in South Indian Bank and Principal of The South Indian Bank Staff Training College, who was also the former President of Cochin Devaswom Board from 2010 to 2012, and Jaya Menon, a homemaker. Menon's family consists of his wife Syama, and two children.
Menon has a post-graduation degree in MBA. He was awarded an Honorary Doctorate by European Continental University (EUC-USA) in 2015 for the contributions made towards the economic development of the Gulf region.
Menon's first job at Qatar was with the British Oil Field Services Company in Doha as a business executive. He then joined a leading transportation company and played an active role in its growth and increased profits. Later, he joined the firm as a partner.
He founded the Sun Group International in 1986 with branches in UAE, Qatar, India and Panama. The business interests of the group include energy, petrochemicals, natural resources, transportation and trading sectors. Sun Group International has recently ventured into real estate development and mass media as well. The group works with the mission to serve with "spotless quality, irresistible prices and heartfelt after sales service".
Menon runs The Sun Charitable Trust which aims to identify the underprivileged members of the society, especially those with disabilities and provide support in the areas of health and education. The trust also looks into tribal and rural development, contributing medical equipment to government and other charitable hospitals.
The various charitable works done by Sun Charitable Trust include providing health services, education and livelihood opportunities to the rural and tribal population of Kerala. The trust also organises mass weddings for girls from economically backward sections of the society. It has also worked for the rehabilitation of destitute and homeless widows by building houses and providing for medical care facilities.
Menon is the president of the Kerala State Elephant Owners’ Cooperative Society and has played active role in adopting up-to-date methods of elephant care and in developing a medical centre for elephants at his native Thrissur. He has also been involved with welfare activities related to elephant owners and mahouts.
He acts as patron to various socio-cultural activities and charitable organisations working in different fields. These organisations works in different area including giving aid to financially weak and disabled artists, organisation of classical dance festivals, film festivals and promotion and restoration of temples arts. Menon was a major contributor in the recreation of Mahatma Gandhi’s sand portrait at India Gate.
He has also actively contributed to the Prime Minister’s Swachh Bharat Mission and set up a modern waste disposal system in the city market in Thrissur, Kerala where he is a part of the tree plantation and maintenance drive. He has also contributed towards the rehabilitation of children and monks in the after math of 2013 Uttarakhand floods.
Sundar Menon is known for his association with the Malayalee communities settled in the Middle East as well as other countries and is a member of around 40 organizations including the Pravasi Malayalee Federation that has its headquarters in the United States. He is involved with various organisations, is the chief patron of the Pravasi Malayali Federation and has actively participated in the cultural conglomeration of the Indian community in the Middle East.
He is also a member of Regional Advisory Committee of Indian Council for Cultural Relations, an autonomous organization under the Ministry of External affairs, Government of India.
Awards and recognitions
- Padma Shri Award by the Government of India on 31 March 2016
- Asia Pacific Entrepreneurship Award in 2015
- Indo British Business Excellence Award
- Forbes magazine Top Indian leaders in the Middle East and UAE
- TGM Award for Maritime Solutions and Philanthropy-AMMA Award 2015
- Arabian Business Award in 2012
- Kerala State Vyapari Vyavasayi Samithi Business Excellence Award
- Golden Honour Award for Excellence in Profession and Social Commitment from Kerala Kalakendram (Society for Socio-Cultural Research and Development)
- "Padma Awards" (PDF). Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India. 2016. Archived from the original (PDF) on 3 August 2017. Retrieved 3 January 2016.
- "Padmashri Dr. Sundar Menon". UAE Malayali Directory. Retrieved 5 May 2016.
- "Asia Pacific Entrepreneurship Award". asianentrepreneur.org.
- PTI (20 November 2015). "M K Muneer, PTM Sunish bag Indo-British award". India Today. Retrieved 16 May 2018.
- "profile section". forbesmiddleeast.com.
- "AMMA Award 2015". ammafoundation.com.my.
- "REVEALED: The Gulf's 100 most powerful Indians". arabianbusiness.com.
- "Padmashri Dr. Sundar Menon". uae.malayali.directory.