|Native name||பிச்சை சுந்தரராஜன்|
July 12, 1972
Madras (now Chennai),
Tamil Nadu, India
|Education||B.Tech., M.S., M.B.A.|
|Alma mater||IIT Kharagpur
Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania
|Occupation||Product Chief &
Designated CEO of Google
Pichai Sundararajan, better known as Sundar Pichai, is a technology executive who is Product Chief at Google Inc. Pichai was announced as the next Chief Executive Officer of Google on August 10, 2015.
Pichai was born in Madras (now Chennai), Tamil Nadu, India in 1972 to Tamil parents Lakshmi and Regunatha Pichai. His father, Regunatha Pichai, was a senior electrical engineer for the British conglomerate General Electric Company (GEC) and managed a factory that made electrical components. Sundar grew up in a two-room apartment on 46th Street, 7th Avenue, in Ashok Nagar, Madras. He is married to Anjali who was his college mate at IIT Kharagpur  and has two children.
Pichai earned his degree from Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur (IIT KGP) in Metallurgical Engineering. Sundar's professors at IIT recommended he pursue a PhD at Stanford University, but he decided to pursue MS and MBA degrees instead.
He holds an MS from Stanford University in Material Sciences and Engineering and an MBA from the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania, where he was named a Siebel Scholar and a Palmer Scholar.
Pichai joined Google in 2004, where he led the product management and innovation efforts for a suite of Google's client software products, including Google Chrome and Chrome OS, as well as being largely responsible for Google Drive. He went on to oversee the development of different apps such Gmail and Google Maps. On November 19, 2009, Pichai gave a demonstration of Chrome OS and the Chromebook was released for trial and testing in 2011 and released in public in 2012. On May 20, 2010, he announced the open-sourcing of the new video codec VP8 by Google, and introduced the new video format WebM.
On March 13, 2013, Pichai added Android to the list Google products he oversees. Android was formerly managed by Andy Rubin. He was rumored to be one of the contenders for the CEO position of Microsoft in 2014.
Pichai was announced as the next CEO of Google on August 10, 2015 after previously being appointed Product Chief by current CEO Larry Page on October 24, 2014. He will step into the new position upon the completion of the formation of Alphabet Inc., the new holding company for the Google company family.
- "India-born Sundar Pichai is new CEO of Google". The Times of India. Retrieved 13 August 2015.
- "Google's Sundar Pichai too in race to head Microsoft?". Times of India. 2 February 2014. Retrieved 4 February 2014.
- "Sundar Pichai; man who runs Chrome at Google". Siliconindia.com. 12 May 2011. Retrieved 15 November 2012.
- "More Intresting Facts about Pichai Sundararajan". TNP LIVE (Hyderabad, India). 11 August 2015.
- "G is for Google". Official Google Blog.
- "Sundar Pichai and the world of Indian CEOs".
- "Ten things about Sundar Pichai". dailyo.in. August 11, 2015.
- "Sundar Pichai – An Inspiring Migrant Story". Y- AXIS. August 11, 2015.
- "Sundar Pichai, the man who runs Android". The Indian Express. August 11, 2015.
- "A shy, quiet boy who loved science". http://www.mumbaimirror.com. Bennett, Coleman & Co. Ltd. Retrieved August 12, 2015.
- "Sundar Pichai, biography". August 11, 2015.
- Thielman, Sam (August 15, 2015). "Sundar Pichai: Google rising star reaches the top (like his teacher said he would)". The Guardian. Guardian News and Media Limited. Retrieved August 15, 2015.
Married with two children
- "Chennai's Sundar Pichai is dark horse". indiatimes.com.
- "The rise and rise of Sundar Pichai".
- Siebel Scholars. Siebel Scholars. Retrieved on 23 August 2013.
- Cooper, Charles (March 13, 2013). "Sundar Pichai:Seven prominent Indian-origin people in global IT world". CNET. Retrieved 14 March 2013.
- Thoppil, Dhanya Ann (14 March 2013). "Who Is Google Android’s Sundar Pichai?". The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 29 April 2014.
- Lee, Dave (August 11, 2015). "Sundar Pichai: Google's new boss from humble roots". BBC. Retrieved August 11, 2015.
- Cooper, Charles (March 13, 2013). "Meet Google’s new Android chief Sundar Pichai". CNET. Retrieved March 14, 2013.
- Cooper, Charles (March 13, 2013). "Sundar Pichai: The man Google, Twitter fought for". CNET. Retrieved 14 March 2013.
- Strohmeyer, Robert (19 November 2009). "Google Chrome OS Unveiled: Speed, Simplicity, and Security Stressed". PCWorld. Retrieved 15 November 2012.
- "Google Open Sourcing VP8 as Part of WebM Project — Online Video News". Gigaom.com. May 19, 2010. Retrieved November 15, 2012.
- Olivarez-Giles, Nathan (13 March 2013). "Google Replaces Android Boss Andy Rubin With Chrome’s Sundar Pichai". Wired. Retrieved March 13, 2013.
- Furrier, John (January 31, 2014). microsoft-ceo-job/ "BREAKING NEWS: Google SVP of Chrome & Apps Sundar Pichai now front runner for Microsoft CEO job". SiliconANGLE. Retrieved February 3, 2014.
- "Who is Sundar Pichai?". NDTV.com. Retrieved February 3, 2014.
- "Jive Elects Informatica Executive Margaret Breya to Board of Directors". Jive Software. Retrieved February 12, 2014.
- Helft, Miguel (October 27, 2014). "The Incredibly Fast Rise of Sundar Pichai". Fortune.
- "Official Google Blog: G is for Google". Official Google Blog.