Pichai in 2014
July 12, 1972 
Tamil Nadu, India
|Alma mater||IIT Kharagpur (B.Tech)
Stanford University (M.S.)
The Wharton School (MBA)
|Occupation||CEO of Google|
|Net worth||$650 million|
Pichai Sundararajan (born 1972), better known as Sundar Pichai is the Chief Executive Officer of Google Inc. Formerly Product Chief at Google, Pichai's current role was announced on August 10, 2015, as part of the restructuring process which made Alphabet Inc. into Google's parent company. He assumed the position upon the completion of the process on October 2, 2015.
Early life and education
Pichai was born in Madurai, Tamil Nadu, India, in a Tamil family to Lakshmi and Raghunathan Pichai. He spent his childhood in Madras (now Chennai). His father was a senior electrical engineer in General Electric and managed a factory that made electrical components. Sundar grew up in a two-room apartment on 46th Street, 7th Avenue, in Ashok Nagar, Chennai. Sundar completed his Class X at Jawahar Vidyalaya, Ashok Nagar Chennai and completed the Class XII from Vana Vani school located in the IIT, Chennai. Pichai earned his degree from Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur in Metallurgical Engineering. He holds an M.S. from Stanford University in Material Sciences and Engineering and a MBA from the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania, where he was named a Siebel Scholar and a Palmer Scholar, respectively.
Pichai joined Google in 2004, where he led the product management and innovation efforts for a suite of Google's client software products, including Google Chrome and Chrome OS, as well as being largely responsible for Google Drive. He went on to oversee the development of different apps such as Gmail and Google Maps. On November 19, 2009, Pichai gave a demonstration of Chrome OS and the Chromebook was released for trial and testing in 2011 and released in public in 2012. On May 20, 2010, he announced the open-sourcing of the new video codec VP8 by Google, and introduced the new video format WebM.
On March 13, 2013, Pichai added Android to the list of Google products he oversees. Android was formerly managed by Andy Rubin. He was rumored to be one of the contenders for the CEO position of Microsoft in 2014. He was a director of Jive Software from April 2011 to July 30, 2013. Pichai was announced as the next CEO of Google on August 10, 2015 after previously being appointed Product Chief by CEO Larry Page on October 24, 2014. He stepped into the new position upon the completion of the formation of Alphabet Inc., the new holding company for the Google company family.
- Nidhi, Sai. "All you need to know about Sundar Pichai, Google's first India-born CEO". dnaindia. Retrieved 9 February 2016.
- Vaitheesvaran, Bharani; Elizabeth, Shilpa (12 August 2015). "The rapid climb of Sundar Pichai to technology peak: From school days to Silicon Valley". The Economic Times.
- "India-born Sundar Pichai is new CEO of Google". The Times of India. Retrieved 13 August 2015.
- Template:Cite web .Tamilan
- "Sundar Pichai; man who runs Chrome at Google". Siliconindia.com. 12 May 2011. Retrieved 15 November 2012.
- "New CEO of Google alphabet Pichai Sundararajan". TNP LIVE (Hyderabad, India). 11 August 2015.
- "G is for Google". Official Google Blog.
- "SEC Filing (Form 8-K) by Alphabet Inc.". October 2, 2015.
- "Sundar Pichai and the world of Indian CEOs".
- "Ten things about Sundar Pichai". dailyo.in. August 11, 2015.
- "Sundar Pichai – An Inspiring Migrant Story". Y- AXIS. August 11, 2015.
- "Sundar Pichai, the man who runs Android". The Indian Express. August 11, 2015.
- "A shy, quiet boy who loved science". Bennett, Coleman & Co. Ltd. Retrieved August 12, 2015.
- "Sundar Pichai, a quiet boy". The Hindu.
- "School mates talk about Sundar Pichai". The Hindu.<
- "Chennai's Sundar Pichai is dark horse". indiatimes.com.
- "The rise and rise of Sundar Pichai".
- Siebel Scholars. Siebel Scholars. Retrieved on 23 August 2013.
- Cooper, Charles (March 13, 2013). "Sundar Pichai:Seven prominent Indian-origin people in global IT world". CNET. Retrieved 14 March 2013.
- Thoppil, Dhanya Ann (14 March 2013). "Who Is Google Android’s Sundar Pichai?". The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 29 April 2014.
- Lee, Dave (August 11, 2015). "Sundar Pichai: Google's new boss from humble roots". BBC. Retrieved August 11, 2015.
- Cooper, Charles (March 13, 2013). "Meet Google new Android chief Sundar Pichai". CNET. Retrieved March 14, 2013.
- Cooper, Charles (March 13, 2013). "Sundar Pichai: The man Google, Twitter fought for". CNET. Retrieved 14 March 2013.
- Strohmeyer, Robert (19 November 2009). "Google Chrome OS Unveiled: Speed, Simplicity, and Security Stressed". PCWorld. Retrieved 15 November 2012.
- "Google Open Sourcing VP8 as Part of WebM Project — Online Video News". Gigaom.com. May 19, 2010. Retrieved November 15, 2012.
- Olivarez-Giles, Nathan (13 March 2013). "Google Replaces Android Boss Andy Rubin With Chrome’s Sundar Pichai". Wired. Retrieved March 13, 2013.
- Furrier, John (January 31, 2014). "Google SVP of Chrome & Apps Sundar Pichai now front runner for Microsoft CEO job". SiliconANGLE. Retrieved February 3, 2014.
- "Who is Sundar Pichai?". NDTV.com. Retrieved February 3, 2014.
- "Jive Elects Informatica Executive Margaret Breya to Board of Directors". Jive Software. Retrieved February 12, 2014.
- Helft, Miguel (October 27, 2014). "The Incredibly Fast Rise of Sundar Pichai". Fortune.
- "Official Google Blog: G is for Google". Official Google Blog.
- http://m.mensxp.com/work-life/leadership/27232-from-a-lower-middleclass-family-to-being-googles-ceo-sundar-pichais-story-is-the-american-dream-come-true.html. Missing or empty
- "IIT-Kharagpur's new Facebook page congratulates Sundar Pichai". Hindustan Times. New Delhi. 12 August 2015. Retrieved 30 September 2015.
- "Sundar Pichai, biography". August 11, 2015.
- Thielman, Sam (August 15, 2015). "Sundar Pichai: Google rising star reaches the top (like his teacher said he would)". The Guardian. London. Retrieved August 15, 2015.
Married with two children.