Sundaraja Sitharama Iyengar
This article is an autobiography or has been extensively edited by the subject or by someone connected to the subject. (July 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Sundaraja Sitharama Iyengar
|Born||26 August 1947|
|Residence||Miami, Florida, USA|
|Known for||Brooks-Iyengar algorithm, |
Song (KAIST) - Iyengar (LSU) MobiCon Middleware Computing Platform, Lu-Wu-Iyengar New Detection Algorithm for Spectrum Sensing
|Fields||Distributed Sensor Networks, |
|Institutions||FIU, LSU, Oak Ridge National Lab, Jet Propulsion Lab, US Naval Research Lab, US Army National Office, Indian Institute of Science|
Professor Sundaraja Sitharama Iyengar (S. S. Iyengar) is a computer scientist and the Distinguished University Professor, Ryder Professor and Director of Computer Science at Florida International University, Miami, Florida, USA. He also founded and directs the Robotics Research Laboratory at Louisiana State University (LSU). He has been a Visiting Professor or Scientist at Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Naval Research Laboratory, and has been awarded the Satish Dhawan Visiting Chaired Professorship at the Indian Institute of Science, the Homi Bhaba Visiting Chaired Professor (IGCAR), and a professorship at the University of Paris (Sorbonne).
S. Sitharama Iyengar was born on 26 August 1947 in Hemmige, a village along the side of Kaveri River situated about 7 kilometers from T.Narsipur in Karnataka. S. S. Iyengar's father, Shri S.N. Sundaraj Iyengar worked as a Divisional Accountant in the Mysore State Electricity Board, and later moved to Bangalore in 1949. S. S. Iyengar's mother is Smt. S. Mahalakshmi.
Professor Iyengar graduated from University Visvesvaraya College of Engineering (UVCE) in India with a B.S. degree in Mechanical Engineering, and M.S. degree in Mechanical Engineering from the Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, then a Ph.D. in Engineering from Mississippi State University in the United States in 1974. He was a faculty fellow at JPL-CalTech and ASEE faculty fellow at Oak Ridge national Lab. He joined the Computer Science Department as one of the only five faculty members at Louisiana State University. Soon after, he became the department chair and had stayed at the position for 22 years. Meanwhile, Professor Iyengar was very active to collaborate for any research topic with colleagues all over the world.
Professor Iyengar has been a PI/Co-PI on many NSF, DARPA, and MURI funded projects and has been an active participant in numerous government sponsored studies. He has chaired many international conferences on Distributed Sensor Networks and served on many programming committees on sensor networks around the world. Professor Iyengar has published over 600 research papers in journals and conferences and he has authored, co-authored or edited over 22 books published in MIT Press, John Wiley, Prentice Hall, IEEE Computer Society Press, etc. These publications have been used in major universities all over the world. He has won many Best-Paper Awards sponsored by international conferences and his research publications are on data structures, robotics, parallel computing, and sensor networks. Professor Iyengar has graduated over 55 Ph.D. students, 100 Master's students, many undergraduate students, and large numbers of post-doctoral fellows at various institutions in the world who are now faculty at Major Universities worldwide or scientists or engineers at National Labs / Industries around the world.
- Kianoosh G. Boroojeni, S. S. Iyengar, "Smart Grids: Security and Privacy Issues", Springer Verlag, pp. 113, 2016.
- Buke Ao, Yongcai Wang, Lu Yu, Richard Brooks, S. S. Iyengar, "On Precision Bound of Distributed Fault-Tolerant Sensor Fusion Algorithms". ACM Comput. Surv. 49 (1): 5:1–5:23. May 2016.
- S. S. Iyengar, Kianoosh G. Boroojeni, "Oblivious Network Routing: Algorithms and Applications", MIT Press, pp 200, March 2015.
- S. S. Iyengar, Kianoosh G. Boroojeni, N. Balakrishnan, "Mathematical Theories of Distributed Sensor Networks", Springer, pp 240, December 2014.
- S. S. Iyengar, S. Mukhopadhyay, C. Steinmuller, and X. Li "Preventing Future Oil Spills with Software-Based event Detection", IEEE Computer, pp: 76-78, August 2010.
Professor Iyengar is a member of the European Academy of Sciences, a Life Fellow of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE), a Fellow of the Association for Computing Machinery(ACM), a Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS), a Fellow of the National Academy of Inventors (NAI), a Fellow of the Society for Design and Process Science (SDPS), a Fellow of Institution of Engineers (FIE), a Fellow of the American Institute for Medical and Biological Engineering (AIMBE) and winner of the Lifetime Achievement Award from ISAM-IIT (BHU). He was awarded the Satish Dhawan Chaired Professorship at the Indian Institute of Science (IISc), then Roy Paul Daniels Professorship at LSU. He has received the Distinguished Alumnus Award of the Indian Institute of Science. In 1998, he was awarded the IEEE Computer Society's Technical Achievement Award for the contributions to sensor fusion algorithms, and parallel algorithms and is an IEEE Golden Core Member. He also receied the IBM Distinguished Faculty Award, NASA Fellowship Summer Awards at Oakridge National Lab and the Jet Propulsion Laboratory. He is a Village Fellow of the Academy of Transdisciplinary Learning and Advanced Studies in Austin, Texas, 2010.
Professor Iyengar is an IEEE Distinguished Visitor, SIAM Distinguished Lecturer, and ACM National Lecturer. He has also been awarded honorary Doctorate of Science and Engineering from institutions around the world. He serves on the advisory board of many corporations and universities. Dr. Iyengar received Distinguished Faculty Research Award, from Department of Navy, Naval Research Laboratory, Stennis Space Center, MS.
- Lu, Lu; Wu, Hsiao-Chun; Iyengar, S. S. (February 2011). "A Novel Robust Detection Algorithm for Spectrum Sensing". IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications. 29 (2): 305–315. CiteSeerX 10.1.1.174.8285. doi:10.1109/JSAC.2011.110204. Retrieved 16 May 2018.
- Dr. Iyengar.
- Curriculum Vita of Dr. Iyengar, Florida International University, USA, 13 Nov 2016.
- Dr. Iyengar's web page, Florida International University, USA
- Dr. Iyengar's web page, Louisiana State University, USA
- Sundararaja Sitharama Iyengar publications indexed by Google Scholar
- S. Sitharama Iyengar at DBLP Bibliography Server