Sundaraja Sitharama Iyengar
||This article is an autobiography or has been extensively edited by the subject or by someone connected to the subject. (July 2011)|
|Sundaraja Sitharama Iyengar|
August 26, 1947 |
|Residence||Miami, Florida, USA|
|Fields||Distributed Sensor Networks,
|Institutions||FIU, LSU, Oak Ridge National Lab, Jet Propulsion Lab, US Naval Research Lab, US Army National Office, Indian Institute of Science, Asia University, Korean Institute of Science and Technology, KAIST|
|Known for||Brooks-Iyengar algorithm,
Song (KAIST) - Iyengar (LSU) MobiCon Middleware Computing Platform, Lu – Wu – Iyengar New Detection Algorithm for Spectrum Sensing
Professor Sundaraja Sitharama Iyengar is a US-based computer scientist in the field of distributed sensor networks, computational aspects of robotics, and oceanographic applications. Dr Iyengar has introduced new data structures and algorithmic techniques for large scale computations in sensor technologies and File processing applications.
Professor S.S. Iyengar is the Ryder Professor and Director of Computer Science at Florida International University, Miami, Florida, USA. He is also the Satish Dhawan Chaired Professor at the Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore. His publications include textbooks and edited books.
S. Sitharama Iyengar was born on August 26, 1947 in Hemmige, a village along the side of Kaveri River situated about 7 kilometers from T.Narsipur in Karnataka. S. S. Iyengar’s father, Shri S.N. Sundaraj Iyengar worked as a Divisional Accountant in the Mysore State Electricity Board, and later moved to Bangalore in 1949. S. S. Iyengar’s mother is Smt. S. Mahalakshmi.
S. Sitharama Iyengar graduated from UVCE, Bangalore University in India with a BS and M. Eng. in 1968), then the Indian Institute of Science in Bangalore with an MS and M. Eng. 1970). S. S. Iyengar received a PhD in Engineering from Mississippi State University in the USA in 1974.
Sitharama Iyengar has been a PI/Co-PI on many NSF, DARPA, and MURI funded projects and has been an active participant in numerous government sponsored studies. He has chaired many international conferences on Distributed Sensor Networks and served on many programming committees on sensor networks around the world. Dr. Iyengar has published over 400 research papers in journals and conferences and he has authored, co-authored, or edited 14 texts in the areas of parallel algorithms, sensor networks, wavelets, robotics, and computer modeling of complex biological systems. He has won many Best-Paper Awards sponsored by international conferences and his research publications are on data structures, robotics, parallel computing, and sensor networks. Professor Iyengar has graduated over 42 PhD students and large number of post-doctoral fellows at various institutions in the world.
Dr. Iyengar also founded and directs the Robotics Research Laboratory at Louisiana State University. He has been a Visiting Professor or Scientist at Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Naval Research Laboratory, and has been awarded the Satish Dhawan Visiting Chaired Professorship at the Indian Institute of Science, the Homi Bhaba Visiting Chaired Professor (IGCAR), and a professorship at the University of Paris (Sorbonne).
Professor Iyengar is a Member of the European Academy of Sciences, a Fellow of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE), a Fellow of the Association for Computing Machinery (ACM), a Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS), and Fellow of the Society for Design and Process Science (SDPS).
- P.T. Krishna Kumar, P.T. Vinodh, Vir V. Phoha, S.S. Iyengar, Puneeth Iyengar "Design of a smart biomarker for bioremediation: A machine learning approach", Volume 41, Issue 6, Computers in Biology and Medicine, Elsevier, June 2011.
- Xin Li, Wuyi Yu,Xiao Lin, S.S.Iyengar. "An Optimization Algorithm for the NP-hard 3D Gallery Guarding Problem and its Application on Autonomous Pipeline Inspection" IEEE Transaction on Robotics, to appear in July 2011
- Noureddine Boudriga, Mohamed Hamdi, S.S. Iyengar "Coverage Assessment and Target Tracking in 3D Domains", Sensors, April 2011.
- Jren-Chit Chin, Nageshwara S. V. Rao, David K. Y. Yau, Mallikarjun Shankar, Yong Yang, Jennifer C. Hou, Srinivasagopalan Srivatsan and S. Sitharama Iyengar "Identification of Low-Level Point Radioactive Sources Using a Sensor Network" ACM Transactions on Sensor Networks, Vol. 7, No. 3, Article 21, September 2010.
Dr. Iyengar won the Distinguished Alumnus Award of the Indian Institute of Science. In 1998, he was awarded the IEEE Computer Society's Technical Achievement Award and is an IEEE Golden Core Member. Professor Iyengar is an IEEE Distinguished Visitor, SIAM Distinguished Lecturer, and ACM National Lecturer. He has also been awarded honorary Doctorate of Science and Engineering from institutions around the world. He serves on the advisory board of many corporations and universities. Dr. Iyengar received Distinguished Faculty Research Award, from Department of Navy, Naval Research Laboratory, Stennis Space Center, MS.
- A Brief Biography for Dr. S.S.Iyengar, Louisiana State University, USA.
- Prof. Dr. Sitharama S. Iyengar, International Academy, Research, and Industry Association.
- Dr S.S. Iyengar: Books, Louisiana State University, USA.
- Curriculum Vita of Sitharama S. Sundaraja, Louisiana State University, USA, May 23, 2011.
- Dr. Iyengar’s website, Louisiana State University, USA.