Sunday Times Rich List 2009
The Sunday Times Rich List 2009 was published on 26 April 2009.
Since 1989 the UK national Sunday newspaper The Sunday Times (sister paper to The Times) has published an annual magazine supplement to the newspaper called the Sunday Times Rich List. The list is based on an estimate of the minimum wealth of the richest 1,000 people or families in the United Kingdom as of January of that year, and is compiled by Dr Philip Beresford.
The top three places in the List were unchanged from the previous year. The Hinduja brothers, ranked 4th in 2008, and Leonard Blavatnik, ranked 11th in 2008, were removed from the list. Among the most notable changes were the loss of £155 billion from the collective fortunes of Britain's richest 1,000 people, equivalent to more than a third of their estimated wealth, as a consequence of the recession.
Top 25 fortunes
|2009||Name||Citizenship||Source of wealth||2008|
|1||£10.80||Lakshmi Mittal and family||India||Steel||1||£27.70|
|2||£7.00 m||Roman Abramovich||Russia||Oil, industry, owner of Chelsea FC||2||£11.70|
|3||£6.50||The Duke of Westminster||United Kingdom||Property (Grosvenor Group)||3||£7.00|
|4||£5.00||Ernesto and Kirsty Bertarelli||Pharmaceuticals||6||£5.65|
|6||£3.83||Sir Philip Green and Lady Green||United Kingdom||Retailing||9||£4.33|
|7||£2.96||Charlene Carvalho and Michel Carvalho||Netherlands||Inheritance, brewing, banking (Heineken)||13||£3.63|
|8||£2.68||Sammy Ofer and Eyal Ofer||Shipping, Property||15||£3.34|
|9||£2.50||Joe Lewis||United Kingdom||Foreign exchange, investment||19||£2.80|
|9||£2.50||Kirsten Rausing and Jorn Rausing||Inheritance, investment (Tetra Pak)||14||£3.50|
|9||£2.50||David and Simon Reuben||Property||10||£4.30|
|13||£2.30||Seán Quinn and family||Quarrying, property, insurance||12||£3.73|
|14||£2.00||Charles Cadogan, 8th Earl Cadogan and family||Property (Cadogan Estates)||17||£2.93|
|15||£1.80||Alan Parker||Duty-free shopping||28||£2.09|
|16||£1.61||Sir Ken Morrison and family||Supermarket||52||£1.45|
|17||£1.55||Roddie Fleming and family||Finance||35||£1.90|
|18||£1.50||Alisher Usmanov||Steel, Mines||5||£5.73|
|18||£1.50||Eddie and Sol Zakay||Property||47||£1.50|
|18||£1.50||Mahdi Al Tajir||Metals, oil, water||26||£2.20|
|18||£1.50||Mark Pears and family||Property||47||£1.50|
|18||£1.50||Nicky Oppenheimer||South Africa||Diamonds, mining (De Beers)||18||£2.87|
|18||£1.50||Poju Zabludowicz||Property, hotels||31||£2.00|
|24||£1.47||Bernie Ecclestone||United Kingdom||Motor racing||24||£2.40|
|25||£1.40||John Caudwell||Mobile phones||44||£1.60|
|25||£1.40||Ian and Richard Livingstone||Property||38||£1.88|
- Lists of billionaires
- Sunday Times Rich List 2007
- Sunday Times Rich List 2008
- Sunday Times Rich List 2010
- Sunday Times Rich List 2011
- Sunday Times Rich List 2012
- Sunday Times Rich List 2013
- Sunday Times Rich List 2014
- Sunday Times Rich List 2015
- Sunday Times Rich List 2016
- Beresford, Philip, ed. (26 April 2009). The Sunday Times http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/specials/rich_list/article6169048.ece. Missing or empty
- "Sunday Times Rich List 2009". Daily Telegraph. United Kingdom. 25 April 2009.
- "UK super-rich 'hit in downturn'". BBC News. 25 April 2009.
- Beresford, Philip, ed. (25 April 2010). "2009 Rich List". thesundaytimes.co.uk. Retrieved October 2011. Check date values in:
- "Rich List reveals wealthy reap profits under Labour". The Sunday Times. 27 April 2008.